Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

I love feeding the birds and squirrels but in doing so get tons of pigeons and they take over my bird feeders. How can I feed my birds but not welcome pigeons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Noreen from Wyandotte, Mi

By Noreen (Guest Post)

I know the difference between pidgeons and doves--I have them both and love the doves. I helped circulate petitions to help stop the doves from being hunted on our last election in Michigan and the doves won!

By (Guest Post)

Pigeons need love too. If you still prefer to pigeon-hole certain bird types, perhaps you could post a sign that says "NO PIGEONS ALLOWED"? You could try writing it in pigeon-english.

I would have no problem with pigeons, per say. The problem arises with the fact that it's not only a few birds. If allowed to stay, the few become 25 then 50 then more and the birds you are actually seeking to feed can't eat because the numerous and gluttonous pigeons eat everything!

Hi..I also have a problem with pigeans eating my bird feed...love feeding the small birds. The pigeons are awful....I put an fake owl out by the feeder and it seems to help.

Funny! Re: pigeons, I live in the city; they leave so much, and I mean so much bird doo on my Terrace.

It's kind of sad because I can't feed all the lovely birds out there except for the bluebirds to whom I give peanuts.

Pigeons are as bad as rats, they poo everywhere, keep other birds at bay and gorge on the bird seed. My suggestion to the person that says put up a sign in pigeon language should post their address so the pigeons can converge on the wise asses house. Pigeons are a health problem, and Clark county should spend money to help eliminate the problem.

I DO NOT WANT THE PIGEONS DISTROYING MY BIRD FEEDERS BY HANGING ON TO IT. WHAT CAN I DO?

Anonymous

Doesn't the owl scare the other birds away ?

I tried the Owl decoy, but it only worked for a few days. If you have a round feeder, get a pack of plastic tie downs (I used 7 1/2 inch) and attach them onto a flat bungee cord with a 1 inch spacing.

Wrap the cord around the feeder so the tie downs are pointing slightly up. Pigeons hate it but smaller birds have no problem.

I too had a problem with pigeons PIGon out on my feeder. I Put some cedar shakes on the roof or lid that was low enough for the NOT to be able to land on Yet Tall enough for the smaller birds to FEED. Good Luck

I'm trying to get rid of the Chipmunks and I don't want to poison them or the ground!

By srose (Guest Post)

What a bunch of pigeon/dove lovers here! Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in answering the question.
The bird store where I buy my seed told me to not to buy the seed with millet (the small round yellow seed) in it. It worked for me for a number of months. I just put my birdfeeder out a few days ago (being away all summer) and after two days the pigeons and doves are back.

Anonymous

I agree the pigeons hog all the food from the small birds.

By samfran (Guest Post)

I like pigeons just don't want them eating all the birdseed. They chase away the birds and I'll have a back yard full of pigeons. I used to get a varity of birds.

Anonymous

Pigeons are an absolute nuisance! I have doves, pigeons, native wild birds and squirrels. The pigeons eat all the food and poop everywhere.

I am trying to find a way to feed the squirrels as I have squirrel proof bird feeders but still want to feed squirrels without pigeons eating everything.

not to mention the poooooooooooooooooo they leave EVERYWHERE they are a very dirty bird

Hello, I found the way to KEEP out the BRILLIANT Squirrels BUT, The Dadburn Doves and pigeons eat all the food. They PIG OUT and the Huge bird feeder is empty in a day. IF you have away to KEEP OUT the Doves and "PIGeons" PLEASE POST. Any how I Made a pulley system for my bird feeder suspended between two trees. I ran some trout line (thin enough so the Squirrels can climb on)between the 2 trees then hooked a pulley hanging from one tree and a line from the pulley to the feeder.

The from the pulley to the feeder is anchored at one tree at one tree so, when you want to fill the feeder you simply unhook the line dropping the feeder FILL n Re-hook. TRUST ME it Works !!!!!!! At first The squirrels were HOARDING the feeder. They would jump fro other branches on top of the feeder and PIG Out. TRY it you WILL BE HAPPY.