BirdsPest Control

Keeping Doves Away from Bird Feeders

I have doves eating all my birdseed. I tried a squirt gun, I tried not feeding the birds for a couple of weeks. As soon as I put seed back out it didn't take long for them to come back. Also it's not just eating my seed, but they sit up on my new roof and pick the gravel off my shingles. They ruin your shingles too. I love birds, but I would like the smaller ones to eat too. How do I get rid of doves?

This is a perennial problem we all face when we feed birds...that and squirrels and deer...sigh...

Doves love millet, cracked corn, wheat and sunflower seeds, so if you can find a food where those are NOT the primary ingredients, it reduces the chances they visit. Maybe it is where I am, but a blend like that is not the easiest to find. Something like thistle and safflower seeds...will draw in the little guys and turn off the doves (for the most part).

Combine that with a thin narrow feeder...either a tube or one a wire pouch (wire basket)--the kind that hold suet may dissuade the doves...unless they are super bold like we grow them in the Burgh.

You could always switch over to a hummingbird feeder and find a natural liquid for them.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Get a few feeders

You may have to try using just feeders for the little finches as I do not think doves will bother those slim feeders with tiny back seeds.

Not sure what you can do about the gravel but maybe use some of this if you can use it in a small area.

www.homedepot.com/.../203231405