Pedestrian Safety Tips

Yesterday, a 9 year old girl was killed in our community. She had been waiting in her grandmothers car for the school bus. When she saw the bus approach, she apparently darted out into traffic and was stuck and killed. Earlier this year, a woman was killed on her lunch hour when a car turned the wrong way down a one way street. These tragedies have prompted me to remind you of these tips:

Remind children of ALL age's proper safety rules. Set a good example and follow these rules yourself!

Drive the speed limit! Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel (as that old song goes)!

When crossing the street, PLEASE USE CROSS WALKS!

Wear light colored clothing or clothing with a reflective stripe when out walking. Carry a flashlight when escorting a child to the bus stop. Walk on the side of the road, facing on coming traffic or on the sidewalk when available.

As a driver, be even more contentious when visibility is diminished (dawn, dusk, dreary/rainy weather) I came close to hitting a man who walked out from between 2 parked cars to cross the street.

NEVER take a shortcut to save time (don't jaywalk, cross only in pedestrian crosswalks, and wait until the light prompts you it is safe to walk).

NEVER walk just because the sign says it is OK to do so. Make sure all cars (particularly those turning) see you before stepping out. Look for cars that may run a light or turn the wrong way down a one way street.

Remember how fragile the human body is compared to a 2000 lb vehicle. Better to be late than to take an unnecessary risk.

When unloading from a car-do so on the curb side of the street.

When crossing the street be sure to allow yourself enough time to do so safely. It is often difficult to judge how fast a car is moving. Better to wait until all traffic has passed than to make a fatal error in judgment.

Don't assume the car sees you! Try to make eye contact before assuming you have the right-of-way.

Be a courteous pedestrian. Walk briskly and be sure and use your manners (a friendly wave to the drive who stopped for you goes a long way!

Carry identification with you if you are out exercising or walking at lunch.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

Hi Diana!

I have a better idea! Give up internal combustion engines and opt for a slower electric vehicle or a bicycle or get on a Bus or Train. This will not only save the lives of countless children, but it will also help to save the planet. We don't have a great deal of time to make the switch and so I recommend you begin planning immediately.

Signed: Joseph Raglione

Executive director: The World Humanitarian Peace and Ecology Movement.

Just to add to your comment; be a courteous pedestrian. Walk briskly and be sure and use your manners. A friendly wave to the drive who stopped for you goes a long way!

Boy has my life changed. After a spinal surgery going horribly wrong and ending up with nerve damage, and now I am unable to walk "briskly". I cannot tell you how many time I have almost been hit by a car. What ever happened to the pedestrians have the right of way? If I can remind people to not only slow down and be AWARE of your surroundings. Sometimes people CAN"T walk fast. Give them the few extra seconds they need! We all need to slow down and take a breath and maybe save a life!

I agree that we need to be courteous to our pedestrians as well. I too have almost been hit by a car attempting to cross the street--we are so "ME" Focused that we just don't take the time (no more that a few seconds) to allow a pedestrian to cross the street safely. The pedestrians I was referring to in my post are those that purposely "drag their feet".

Remembering that some states have laws that give the pedestrian the right away, god forbid, these suggestions won't be all inclusive for them. Additional

rules I'd suggest are:

1) Pay attention to the time of day, clouds, traffic distractions all drivers must deal with, and use a

lot of common sense especially during sun-up and dusk

when the light is weaker and more reflective depending upon the weather.

2) Stay focused both on where you are standing, but also as to exactly where you are going and what the very best route to that point would be....Before moving.

3) Never talk or be angry while you are crossing a street, pay full attention. Your life is at risk.

3) Never assume that a vehicle is going to do what it seems it is going to do. Rather, assume that it will do most anything and take action as if it were out of control, letting it pass.

4) Stay away from the edge of the curb because vehicles often clip curbs where your feet and legs could get hit, or where you could get pulled under the moving vehicle!

5) Never stop on a railroad track. I have had two friends and two relatives killed doing just that while waiting in traffic in cars, but could not get out in time.

6) Obey traffic police even if the lights do not match his signals!

7) Remember that fraudulent claims are made by folks who

tried to take advantage of the system by pretending to be hit by a vehicle. Be honest.

8) Avoid crossing the street with an animal on a leash. They

can be unpredictable in traffic. My neighbor ran after his and got hit by a car himself trying to save the dog.

7) Never wear earphones while crossing a street, alley, parking lot, and do not ever try to cross a freeway or outrun an 18 wheeler.

8) Stay well out of the way during an accident or emergency of any kind.

9) If with a group, walk in two's or three's, not more. It's inconsiderate and dangerous for you and those around you.

10) Don't get impatient and run out of the shoot ahead of the signal light change. It could kill, and most often does.

11) Better to pick a walking child up than to hold it's hand and take too long to cross, getting trapped in the middle. If having to use a stroller, wait until a window of time in traffic when you don't have to rush, for both your sakes.

God bless and keep you. : )

What a tragedy for that little girl's family. And even though it sounds as if the bus driver was not responsible for the accident, I'm sure he was devastated. School bus drivers are trained to repeatedly tell the kids to be very careful crossing the street.

Some of the most dangerous driving I have seen is around schools when parents are dropping off or picking up their kids, and around hospitals, where people are in a terrible hurry. Hospital workers, this includes you.

Yes, drivers have very bad manners, and that will continue getting worse. Some drivers delight in harassing bicyclists, or open doors without looking, or squeeze them to the curb. Some will cry out to scare me, or comment on my rear. And I can't count the number of drivers phone-driving, eating, putting on makeup, smoking, anything but watching.

Biking on a sidewalk is illegal in some areas, but I often do so because legal rules allowing bikes room to travel are routinely ignored. When on a sidewalk I tell pedestrians what side I'm passing on, and do so slowly. If they act apologetic for being in my way, I stop to explain that they, not I, have the right of way. They do crossing a street too, except when a light or Don't Walk sign is against them.

Motorists, if you can't or won't switch from your bloated vehicles to public transport or bikes, grow up and drive like adults, yielding where you know you should.

A mom and two kids crossing the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Better Living Safety PersonalFebruary 15, 2008
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
City With Elevated Lightrail
Good Places to Live Without a Car
view down the path garden
The Path Garden (Moorpark, CA) Photos and Information
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
🎄
🍂