Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Fabric Dye from a Leather Couch

Unfortunately sometimes fabric dye from throw pillows and other items can transfer to your leather couch. This is a guide about removing fabric dye from a leather couch.

August 16, 2005 Flag

I have red dye from a suede pillow that transferred onto my cream colored leather couch and I'm, well, pretty mad. Can you please help?

Thanks,
A Lil Upset

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't imagine the frustration you're feeling!!! You might try this idea - the Magic Eraser now on the market - you know, the white sponge looking cleaning pad - will clean up practically anything. It's actually a little spooky to me how well it removes all kinds of dirt and stains. You might give it a try. Love to know if it works!! Good luck!!!

You have dye transfer. Magic Erasers act like fine sandpaper and if they remove the dye they will also damage the finish. Use Maxi Clean (LTT) which is specifically designed for this job and then when you have removed it use Leather Protect which will protect your pale leather from dye transfer in the future

Leather care consultant

January 29, 2009 Flag

I slept on my newer dark leather couch and got very hot with a black t-shirt on. When I woke up, ink from my shirt was imprinted on the couch. Please somebody give me an idea of how to remove this.

Rocky from Tennessee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello Rocky,

In regards to your leather stained sofa seeing that it is new, did you purchase a warranty on stains? If so, my advise would be to contact your warranty service and have this taken care of professionally and leave the problem in their hands. If you had not purchased a warranty then the problem lies on you.

My suggestion to you is you need to know what type of leather you own. Is it Aniline, Protected (pigmented)or Nubuck? Once your leather is identified then you can proceed with the correct steps in removing the transfer of silkscreen ink from your shirt.

If your leather is (Aniline):

Step 1. Strong Cleaner

Step 2. Leather Protection Cream

Dry between steps with hair dryer

If problem persists use: (Soft Remover/Cleaner)

Always finish job with Protection Cream

If your leather is (Protected/Pigmented):

Use the same steps as Aniline

If your leather is (Nubuck):

Step 1. Use Nubuck Cloth

Step 2. Apply Leather Degreaser

Step 3. Foam Cleaner

Step 4. Use Nubuck Cloth

Step 5. Apply Eco Protector

Dry in between steps with hair dryer

If problem persists call our service for

additional help (203) 734-5343

or email: supremecare@sbcglobal.net

Supreme Care Leather Services

Please Note!

All products mentioned above are developed by Leather Master and can be purchase through us

as well as any additional free advise.

Sincerely Mark

Customer Care

February 12, 2007 Flag

How do I remove dye from a throw off a cream leather suite?

John from Glasgow

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi,

Use this product to remove the stain - http://www.furn  StainRemover.htm

Following the below instructions;

Never apply directly to the leather.

Depending upon the size of the stain use either the cotton wool bud, cotton ball or cotton cloth to remove the stain.

Dab the stain gently and as the stain is removed from the leather the cotton will absorb it.

Rotate the cotton to stop the stain from spreading.

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherApril 22, 2014
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Photo of a tie dyed fabric.
Removing Fabric Dye Stains
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 6:06:49 PM on 10.0.2.60 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.