Keeping Dogs Off Furniture

I have 3 miniature schnauzers. I need to try to teach them to stay off the furniture. I hate it but do you have a solution? What have you done? They still have one chair that is theirs. Have any of you tried the Scat Mat? Or if you have any suggestions I"ll be grateful forever! Right now, I'm putting newspapers on the couches. It seems to be working but it's so ugly. Thank you.

Karen from Charleston, SC

Hey I have one pretty smart schnauzer also I kept a couple of folding chairs on the couches when i left for work during the day. after a couple of weeks she got the hint (:

What we do for our fur babies (:

They are so smart, they know they aren't supposed to be there, but they try you anyway.The trick is too never let them on something you don't want them to copy...(: Good luck

Do you scold them when they try to go on the furniture? And do they obey? But do they keep doing it when you are away?

If you're convinced they know they are NOT supposed to be on the furniture but they do it anyway, you'll have trouble keeping them off when you are not there to catch them. You'll have to resort to putting things on the furniture to deter them or covering the furniture with a blanket or something to protect the furniture for the times you aren't there to tell them off. Or, you can use a baby gate to keep them out of the living room when you aren't there.

When you're home, use a squirt bottle of water, when you're not, put black pepper on the funiture. Throw a sheet over the couch beforehand and you can just remove the sheet and take it outside and shake it when you get home.

I found a tip on this site about putting aluminum foil on furniture to keep pets off. It really works. I just pull enough off the roll to cover the seat of the chair's etc. and they don't even attempt to get on. When we have company over that's never been here before we joke and tell them the foil is to keep alien's away from the house. The foil lasts forever and when it's finally to the point of needing replacement I wad it up and put it in the recyle bin.

My cousin had this problem. He put mousetraps on his sofa, and it kept the dog off it. At first, you have to set the traps, but eventually all you have to do is put unset traps on the furniture.

There is a product called "Keep Away" that works very well. Our cats have one chair that is theirs, but they do not go near the set that has Keep Away on it. Now our dog will sleep on those couches though. Perhaps if you move your furniture around and then spray (so that everything will be new), they will then leave the furniture alone. I've always sprayed on a new couch, so I'm not sure how it works if they've already been on it a lot.

The mousetrap method has always worked well for me. If you are afraid the dogs may be hurt, set the traps and carefully turn them upside down on sofa. Sometimes I cover the traps with newspapers.

And yes, the presence of unset traps will keep them off once they have learned. It's always fun explaining to unexpected visitors why you have mouse traps on the sofa!

Young yellow lab napping on the couch.
Keeping a Dog Off Furniture
Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 4, 2008
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄
🍂