Cleaning Your Steam Iron

To remove burned on starch from the iron place a towel dampened with vinegar on the ironing board and sprinkle generously with table salt. Set iron on warm dry setting and run over a towel until the stain is removed.

Clean gunk off the surface of an iron by polishing gently with 0000 grade steel wool. Don't try this with a non-stick iron. If iron surface is dull, polish with Pearl Drops or other toothpaste.

To clean mineral deposits from a steam iron, fill it with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Allow it to steam for several minutes, disconnect, and let stand for an hour. Empty the reservoir, rinse well, and repeat if necessary.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

They make a steam iron cleaner that is inexpensive, lasts a long time and can be bougut in most grocery stores. It comes in a tube, you rub it on a hot iron with a cloth and the iron comes as clean and shiny as new.

They make a steam iron cleaner that is inexpensive and leaves your iron as clean and shiny as new. It comes in a tube and you rub it on a hot iron with a soft cloth. It can be bought in most supermarkets. It lasts a long time.

Great advice. I absolutely love the many uses of vinegar!

Ha! Just in the last week and a half I tackled the iron cleaning task. I tried more than one method personally on 2 different household irons. Trust me, get the suggested "Hot Iron Cleaner" from your local (ugh, I know...) Walmart. It costs approx $2.47 to $3.47 prices may vary demographically.

The brand is 'Faultless' and it comes in a small tube. Repeated applications maybe necessary for thick build-up, but I promise much less elbow grease is required! Well worth the wait until your next trip to the store just make sure you put it on your shopping list or else (if anything like me) you'll forget it was one of the main reasons you went......lol. Sad, but true!

I make lists for almost everything these days! With our economy, some of us just cannot afford a bunch of knicks, knacks and patty whacks that we really can live without! This item is necessity, especially if you've cut the expense of the cleaners and do your own ironing these days. Good luck all.