Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

My dad has more than 8 kidney stones in both kidneys right now. We just found out from the doctor. He has been in pain for more than 2 weeks now. It is a stabbing pain. Does anyone have any home remedies I can try giving him? If so please let me know!
Thank you.

By Zareena from Alpharetta, GA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By 3gtrinity11/05/2013

I have dealt with kidney stones several times over the years. The best home remedy I have found is :
6 oz. pure pineapple juice, mixed with 6 oz. tonic water
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Mix juice and tonic water, lick the palm of your hand. Put a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg on your palm. Lick this off your hand, then wash it down with juice mix. The tonic water will relax the stomach muscles, The pineapple juice will cleanse the kidney. The cinnamon helps with infection, and the nutmeg will soften and help break up the stone. Do this a few times a day. The stone will break up and pass easily within 1-3 days normally.

from G-dog

By Albularyo04/15/2013

85% of kidney stones are crystallized acids with sharp points, such as Uric Acid or Calcium Oxalate stuck in one of the 2 narrow renal tubes connecting kidneys with the bladder. They will give you periodic pain attacks on the lower left or right side of your backbone. The acid crystals cannot dissolve as long as your urine is acid and therefore you need to buffer your urine to lower its acidity. 2 agents will do that well enough to have the stones dissolve to the size of coarse sand and come out. Take one heaping teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda with lots of water.

By dollie [19]01/08/2011

I had a kidney stone the size of a 50cent piece of course I had to have it removed, but there remained pieces I refused to have surgery again. I had a wonderful urologist and he understood,so he told me to drink all the lime juice I could. Not limeade, lime juice. Within a few days I passed all the stones.I understand it is very painful for men my heart goes out to your father.Some of the other suggestions given to you sound real good as well. God bless.

By Karyn [29]01/07/2011

Just read a book that says that visualization works great. First count backwards from 100 to 1. Then start to visualize the stones in your body and the white blood cells attacking them. See the stones getting smaller and smaller with each attack. Now you can see the attack as one with swords or a light saber like in Star Wars. What is important is that you see the results of the attack on the stones.

Do a google search on The Silva Method.

Karyn

By Lori [3]01/07/2011

My husband has gotten kidney stones and the fastest, most complete relief came from a product at the healthy habits nutrition store. It is a liquid called Chanca Piedra by Raintree Nutrition. Perhaps a local herb or nutrition/health store will have this. I know this isn't homemade, but it is a powerful and fast remedy. God bless, I know he is hurting.

By carol [23]01/07/2011

Consume 12 ozs of beer. Best wishes.

By Mary Nelson [3]01/06/2011

Here is a remedy I just read about in Midwifery Today. It talks mostly about UTIs, but mentions that it dissolves kidney stones too.

Drinking parsley tea is a great way to help stamp out urinary tract infections (UTIs). Rinse one bunch of parsley with cold water; place it in a glass bowl and pour boiling water over it. Put a plate on top of the bowl and allow the tea to steep for 30 minutes. Remove the parsley from the bowl. Add honey to the tea if needed to mask the taste. Drink the tea, hot or cold, regularly during an 8-hour period. It will flush out a UTI and even dissolve kidney stones. In 27 years, I have seen no adverse side effects from the use of this tea. If the urine of a woman with a UTI were cultured, it is most likely that E. coli would be discovered. Women should wipe their privates from front to back to help avoid this problem.
Joan M. Dolan
Tricks of the Trade, Midwifery Today, Issue 64

By vicki hood [4]01/06/2011

Google remedy of olive oil and lemon juice. It works. Bust up stones to sand. Dad can pee into a nylon and see the busted up stones.

By Myrna [13]01/05/2011

Hulda Clark has a website she offers a homemade drink, but you need to follow it to the "t" and it's pretty severe, but claims to work using the olive oil mixture.

01/05/2011

I have suffered intermittently from kidney stones for nearly 9 years. One was so bad I had to have surgery to remove it. Later, my grandmother was hospitalized with a kidney stone and told me about a home remedy given to her by a nurse and believe me, this really works! Mix 2 oz of olive oil and 2 oz of lemon juice, drink it straight down and follow with a large glass of water at the first sign of stone pain. The stone(s) will pass within 24 hours. I have eliminated at least 8 stones with this remedy and have not gone back to the urologist since I started taking this.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]01/04/2011

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/stones_ez/

My husband has been plagued with kidney stones for the last few years. So I had saved the above website in my favorites. Please read over the website and it will give you a list of foods to avoid if a person has kidney stones. My husband can still eat these foods, but he has to limit himself.

By Kim01/04/2011

I've had three different bouts of kidney stones over the last 15 years. For the first two times, I ended up having to have surgery. Doctors went up with a "basket", busted them up, and brought them out. For the third time, I was fortunate enough to take a medicine called Urogesic Blue. It relaxes the urinary tract. I started taking it one morning and flushed myself with water all day. I passed the stone at 5pm that evening.

Prayers to your dad! Kidney stone pain is worse than childbirth. I had my first stone 3 months after my child was born...I would have much rather delivered another baby!

Here are questions related to Home Remedies for Kidney Stones.

Question: Home Remedy for Kidney Stones

I an 37. I have a stone in both kidneys, that is the size of a little bug like 3cm. So now what can I do?

By morshed

Best Answers

By irishmom03/27/2014

My husband gets the oxilate type of kidney stone. I went to our health food store and they suggested that he use marshmallow extract and hydrangea extract. Worked wonders. One breaks it up and softens it. So now when he thinks he's got another one he starts taking those herbs and nips it in the bud before it gets bad...

Best Answers

By onniejoe131303/20/2014

My urologist told me to drink lots of limeade I purchased frozen at the grocers mixed it drank about 2 quarts a day. The other answer said lemonade sure it is the same principal.
Trust us.. It works. onniejoe

Best Answers

By Patricia Hamm [4]03/20/2014

Drink lemonade. When my grandsons had them I was told to feed them asparagus and Coke. They really did pass them doing that. But drink lemonade everyday.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get rid of or prevent kidney stones? My Chiropractor of all people is who found that I had a kidney stone!

How often are you supposed to drink the lemon juice and olive oil to help get rid of kidney stone pain?

By jmp from Bakersfield, CA

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

My husband was diagnosed with kidney stones last year. So by no means does that make me an expert on the subject. I've never heard of drinking olive oil, but my husband has found that drinking a glass of lemonade once a day helps dissolve his kidney stones. I buy the bottled lemon juice, add water, and mix in the desired amount of sugar. What may work for one person, might not work for another. He no longer eats ice cream since he has found that ice cream gives him kidney stones. I too no longer eat ice cream myself because it gives me some lactose problems.

I have a folder entitled kidney stones that I saved in My Favorites and here is a website I believe will be beneficial to you. One of the pages gives a list of foods that cause kidney stones. The foods can be still eaten, but in smaller amounts.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/stones_ez/ (07/26/2010)

By MCW

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Go to Hulda Clark's website; just do a Google search. You will learn all about her olive oil concoction and the directions. (07/26/2010)

By Lorelei

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

I would check at earthclinic.com. I saw something about this on there and other things that help in the prevention and dissolving of kidney stones. Here is the info on the oil and lemon juice they have.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/kidney_stones7.html (07/27/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Kidneys are nothing to fool around with. For heaven's sake go to the doctor before a kidney infection takes over. (07/30/2010)

By Lilac

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Well, I tried that olive oil and lemon and got no relief. So I went to the health food store and did what they recommended. I drank a quart of marshmallow root tea for 7 days. Now I drink a glass of pure lemonade every day to keep any more from coming back. Cranberry juice is good for a UTI, but it does nothing for a stone, so my doctor told me. I just went through this all in June, so I wish you luck! (07/30/2010)

By chrissym15

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Not only do you do the lemon juice and olive oil, but don't drink carbonated sodas or you will be doing the cure often. For infection UTI and bladder, buy bulk cleavers and make tea. First day drink much as you can and lots the second day. Keep drinking it, but cut back little by little. it takes weeks and weeks of drinking pleasant cleavers even if it is twice a week. I have wild cleavers here and harvest my own to dry. Simple, but if your health food store does not have it you can order on the internet. (07/30/2010)

By muttmom

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

I know that not all kidney stones are alike so make sure that the kind you have will not be made worse by taking something as acidic as lemon juice. (07/31/2010)

By Maryeileen

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

Keep your watermelon seeds, dry and keep in plastic bag in the refrigerator. When needed by any friend or family member, put seeds in pan, and pour boiling water over them. Let them seep like tea. It will be light in color, let cool and add lemon juice, water, and sugar to taste, then add ice cubes. My husband had kidney stones and took the medication the Dr. gave him, but no relief. I made watermelon tea and he kept drinking this for several days. He has not had another kidney stone since then. This was about 9 or 10 years ago. I keep watermelon seeds all the time for anyone with stones. The recipe was given to me by an elderly woman in our church. She said her family used this tea recipe for years. (07/31/2010)

By Pat437

RE: Home Remedies for Kidney Stones

For my husband's kidney stone attacks, he goes and gets a hypo, they hook up an IV to push fluids, he relaxes with the hypo and the stones just move on through. The urologist said the pain is when the stone is moving. It scratches as it moves. This is about 8 times now. It hits like a brick wall from feeling fine to 3o minutes later on his way to the clinic or ER. (08/30/2010)

By T&T Grandma