Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Walls?

We have black granite countertops, orange tile backsplash and chestnut cabinets with stainless steel handles. I want to paint our walls a sage/putty green or a light gray. Would this look OK? Thank you!

By Alex from Houston, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Allison11/05/2010

It could work, but you're adding some contrast. I would also consider a tan/cream in the same tones as the cabinets, but lighter, as long as it matches the back splash, though. That's the tricky part. Get a few samples and paint them on a poster board and live with it for a few days to see.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Walls?

My cabinets are white, stove and refrigerator are stainless steel with a shade of black and my counter top is black, gray and a speck of orange; my floor is light gray tile. What color should I paint my kitchen walls?

Deloisedel

RE: What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Walls?

Apricot or a pale aquamarine. (08/19/2007)

By perfumed fan

Depending on your style, I'd go for something bright. Orangish red perhaps? Especially as you already have some flecks of that in your counter top (I don't see blues/greens coordinating well with that) A mustardy yellow might work, too. Go to the paint store and pick up some tester paint, then slap a bit on your wall and see what you think after a couple days of looking at it. (08/20/2007)

By tah_dah

Red! Nothing heats up a kitchen better than red on the walls. It is warm, welcoming, and hearkens back to hearth and home as well as being stylish and sophisticated! Red can take you from country kitchen to urban delight. (08/22/2007)

By lori

I vote for apricot. The red-orange-yellow family is what they use at fast food restaurants because it stimulates your appetite. (08/22/2007)

By Jantoo

Go traditional and you won't be sorry in the long run- don't go for fad colors. Painting is hard work! Match the gray in the floor tile! (08/22/2007)

By Patty

With that setup you can choose any color that you love! Have fun! I would so do a bright red or yellow (08/22/2007)

By

I would paint one wall red. (08/22/2007)

By Maryeileen

I would paint them a Terra Cotta color. It would look good with your grays and blacks. (08/23/2007)

By Momof1

I think the best thing to do with the colors you have is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some color samples that you like and bring them home and look and see what color goes best. (08/23/2007)

By candleglows

I go along with the orange crowd (there are many different shades). I paint frequently because I enjoy it--go figure. Try the Behr computer at Home Depot. It paints "virtually" and gives you a really good idea how color combos will work in your home. Remember, the most important part is prep, prep, prep! Good luck! (09/06/2007)

By floridasheila

I vote for 'bittersweet', just a little darker than orange but not as dark/dull as terracotta. And it will bring out the orange flecks in your counter top! Studies have shown that looking at the color orange (and similarly, bittersweet) every day stimulates your HAPPINESS, and we can all use that. Can you tell that orange is my favorite color? (My kitchen counter tops are orange (from the 70s, and I love 'em!) (10/25/2007)

By Nancy in Florida

Red increases your appetite. I would stay away with that for a kitchen and dinning room. Blue suppresses your appetite and may help you keep hunger at bay so you don't over eat. (02/26/2008)

By sale

We are getting ready to paint our kitchen. We have white cabinets, the granite counter tops are dark gray with silver flecks, black appliances, the tile back splash is gray carrera, and the floor is a mixture of gray/beige. Any color suggestions for paint colors?

Janice from Long Island, NY

Beautiful kitchen! Do you like the color of your valance as a nice contrast? You could go with anything, really. It looks like you get lots of light, and everything is neutral. Any color from a smoky ice blue, to deep crimson red, to eggplant, to your basic peach would work. Take a look at your favorite table linens and/or curtains, and see if there's a color in there that stands out to you. Have fun & good luck! (04/10/2008)

By LAnBfflo

I'd use earth tones. I have 'dirt road' in mine with a green marble look counter. (04/11/2008)

By

I think you should paint the walls a pretty sky blue (04/20/2008)

By Georgetta Ruth

royal blue (05/05/2008)

By diva

I have maple cabinets and white Corian counter tops. My kitchen has a clear view of my dining room which is painted a color called Cherokee brick, it's slightly on the pink side. I picked out a light green color called blue grass and it looks horrible. Do you have any advice?

Natalya from Burlingame, CA

How about a light tan with just a hint of light pink or apricot in it? Or accent some places with a deeper color like Hunter Green. (06/25/2008)

By Mythi

Use the same color as our dining room or just a slightly lighter version. Should be great with your maple cabinets and white counters. Your greens could be the accent colors or some color that you use in your dining room as accents. Tie the two together. (06/25/2008)

By

I had a very white kitchen and I wanted something new, so I went with Pumpkin Orange, and my dining room in Instant Delight, sorta like a yellow orange. Everyone that has seen my kitchen really likes it. Not everybody might like it, but I think it is really pretty. (06/26/2008)

By Weezy1c

I will be painting my old cupboards an eggshell just a galley kitchen no table, tile floors, and counter light tan with white and a light green. I would go with a sage green wall with black accents like lights, etc. (02/06/2009)

By Tracy