Uses for Runny Jam

I don't know about you, but I never have any luck with those no-cook and freezer jam recipes. For me they always turn out runny.

Today I was in the dairy section of the grocery store. Those fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts and tiny servings of cottage cheese with dabs of jam are so expensive, yet so tempting. Well, I remembered the jars of peach jam in my freezer. The jam is delicious, and tastes like a sunny summer day, but is too thin to put on toast. I have used it on vanilla ice cream, and it makes a wonderful topping. Today I realized it would also be really good mixed in with yogurt or cottage cheese - and a lot cheaper than store bought.

I like this idea so much, I am planning on making some batches of low-sugar, runny jams just to have on hand for a quick treat.

By Copasetic1 from North Royalton, OH

Barb, you actually have a gold mine just waiting to be taken advantage of. Anytime, you have jam, jelly or preserves that turn out to be more like syrup than what you intended them to be, use them in muffins, cakes and the frostings, quick or tea breads, and as you mentioned, mixed in with yogurt, cottage cheese, and don't forget on pancakes and waffles. Don't forget to adjust the amount of sugar in batters by just a little or add a little extra flour. When I do that, I always use Self-Rising Flour for the extra little bit.

People go to the grocery stores and hunt for different-flavored syrups for pancakes and waffles and are willing to pay ridiculous prices to get it too.

Lest I forget, be sure to mix some of your favorite in with butter and cream cheese and keep it refrigerated for the best toast or bagel spread you ever ate. How did I learn? How about "Been there and done that"?

Thank you for a great question. I've just been waiting to share that with someone.

Pookarina / Julia

I think using it in yogurt is a wonderful Idea!

Copasetic1, Pookarina has some very good suggestions. I think I've used them all at one time or another. But please don't give up. I've used the following instructions for about 20 years and it has never failed me. About five years ago we discovered a "pick your own" blackberry farm. I've used these instructions for blackberry jam, mulberry jam, strawberry jam, and blackberry/strawberry combo jam. YUM! Along with what hubby and I use, I always make an extra 40 or 50 jars (they're small). I give them to family, friends and co-workers of both of us. They all start asking in May when they'll get some jam. We pick the blackberries and make the jam in June. I'm sorry this post is so long but I wanted to make sure it was very detailed. I got the instructions from a college website but I can't remember which one. If you have any questions or other suggestions you can e-mail me using the regular e-mail format, margarett at juno dot com. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Here are directions and information on making freezer jam:

You need to get the small jars especially for freezer jam because the jam needs to be eaten pretty quickly after it's taken out of the freezer. You can get the jars at Wal Mart or even the grocery store. What is so nice about freezer jam is that you don't have to worry about the jars sealing. And since you don't cook the fruit, I think you get more of a fresh fruit flavor.

Making Freezer Jam

Blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries work well in uncooked freezer jam recipes. You must store uncooked jams in the refrigerator or freezer. You can hold them for several weeks in a refrigerator, and up to a year in the freezer. If you keep them at room temperature they will mold or ferment in a short time. Once you open the container, keep refrigerated and use the jam within a few days, no longer than three weeks.

Sort and wash fully ripe fruit. Drain. Remove caps and stems from berries and crush.

The basic recipe for uncooked jam is:

3 cups crushed berries (about one and 1/2 quarts of berries)

5 cups sugar

1 package powdered pectin (Sure Jell) Get the regular, for some reason the one specifically for freezer jam doesn't work as well. Go figure!

1 cup cold water

To Make the Jam

Measure three cups of prepared fruit into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, mix well, and let stand for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Dissolve the Sure Jell in one cup cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Add pectin solution to the fruit and sugar mixture. Stir vigorously for two minutes.

Pour the jam into clean freezer containers or canning jars, leaving one-half inch head space. Cover the containers and let stand for 24 hours, or until the jam has set and become firm. This quantity makes about seven or eight half-pint jars or freezer containers. When jam comes out of the freezer, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Enjoy!!

***Do not puree the berries. They need to be crushed or they will be too "juicy".***

I often buy plain yogurt or make my own yogurt, and then stir in jam. It's much cheaper than buying flavored yogurts. Runny jam is basically flavored syrup so it's also great to use with milk or even ice water. Just use a blender or hand blender to break up the pieces. soiled bra. Or put the jam into hot tea where it should melt.

Runny jam is good on pancakes, waffles, and French toast.

Jam That Didn't Set
Uses for Jam That Didn't Set
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJuly 2, 2011
Runny Jam
Fixing Runny Jam
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes