Small Fans To Keep My House Cooler

I purchased small oscillating fans to place in the corners of each room in the house (excluding the bathroom) and the house stays cooler with the air flow being kept on the move rather then being still. I would estimate it being at least 10 to 20 degrees cooler in the rooms throughout the house and I believe it is because the air is kept moving in each of the rooms.

By dpcarr

While it probably feels a lot more comfortable with the air blowing over your skin, it is not possible for fans to reduce the air temperature. All it is doing is blowing it from the back of the fan to the front of the fan. That doesn't cool it, it just moves it.

If you are able to put fans in front of windows to bring in the cooler night time air, THAT will cool your house very cheaply. I live in the high desert and we love to turn our evaporative cooler on "vent" at night to bring in the cool night air. We often don't need to turn on the water to the cooler until mid to late afternoon when we remember to do this at night.

Good luck as you figure out ways to cool yourself inexpensively and by treading lightly on Mother Earth.

There is NO cool air in Florida this time of year - day or night! I too find I am able to raise the air conditioning temperature of my rooms by running my ceiling fans almost 24/7. Those two, three or more degrees really add up on the electric bill.

In one place we lived, we didn't have A/C. So here is what I did to keep the house cool. We had a window fan that pulled cool air in from the night. In the morning when the temperture was cooler, I kept an eye on the indoor / outdoor themometer. When the temperature was about the same inside and out, I closed the "All" windows and turned off the window fan. Then I turned on fans around the house to keep the air moving and comfortable. All day long, it was 15 - 20 degrees cooler inside than outside. As temperature begin to rise toward evening, I kept an eye on the indoor / outdoor themometer again. When they equalized, say at 80 degrees, I opened the windows again and turned on the window fan to pull the evening air.

People were amazed when they came in the house to feel it cooler inside than out with no A/C. It's a good plan.

I have a three story home with central air which I set at 77. On each floor there are fans to move the air which makes the air feel more comfortable.

The heat index right now is 107 degrees, and inside it's breezy and cool!

Northern Virginia

I keep a small fan in my bathroom too to help move the air. Living in the South, where it's especially hot and humid in the summer months, I have no problem with mold or mildew growing around my tub and/or tiles. Things dry out more quickly (shower curtain, towels, wash cloths, etc.) after showers, and the moving air makes it lots more comfortable and keeps mirrors from fogging up.

I'm a fan of small fans too! My old, old central air is still limping along but not doing a great job......especially in this heat wave we're having. Several years ago I stumbled across an end of the season sale at Target on fans. I got 2 to a box for a ridiculous price......maybe $4.00.....think I came home with 4 fans for $8.00. I set them in front of my floor vents in several rooms to help move the air into the room, in the winter and summer both. It has made a noticeable difference. I also have a small clip-on fan in my bathroom.......feels good when I'm styling my hair and doing makeup. I also have one clipped above my washer/dryer to keep me cool. My husband teases me and calls me his "hot momma"! I'm very warm natured and love the cooling breeze of a fan!

Electric Fan
Using Electric Fans
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingAugust 2, 2006
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Hasselback Potatoes
Potato Fans Recipes
Swamp Cooler
Swamp Cooler Maintenance Tips
Ceiling Fan
Using Ceiling Fans Year Round