Using Refillable Lighters

At this time of the year I use refillable lighters often to light a fire or burning candles. Does anyone know how long the refillable lighters last? Of course, I think I am saving money purchasing these refillable lighters but it seems that once they empty and I refill them they just don't seem to work as well. I am 'clicking' away at that button to get a flame and it used to work on the first 'click'.

Can they be cleaned? :-)

Mrsjean from USA

If your talking about butane lighters, the secret is pushing the refillable stem so that all the air is removed from the tank before refilling. I have thrown away nice lighters because I thought they were broken. After finding out this tip, I have been using the same lighter for years.

You might need to replace the flint. You can buy those at the same place that sells the butane to refill the lighters.

Rather than use a lighter, why don't you get a fireplace lighter from the $ store. Most of these are refillable and are much easier to use as they are much much longer.

Consumer AdviceNovember 28, 2005
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Red Zippo lighter on a white background.
Cleaning a Zippo Lighter
🎄