Microwave vs. Blanching Home Grown Vegetables for Freezing

I was considering lightly microwaving my home grown yellow squash and green beans instead of par boiling them which can make a lot of water, and then vacuum sealing is difficult.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By Daphna A. from Alachua, FL

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I microwaved 2 years ago and they got that funny taste after 6 months. I then tried the steam method, instead of microwave. Leave them whole, and when you get them hot all the way through dunk them in ice water to cool at once like corn on the cob, dry with a towel and cut up and freeze that way. They probably won't save over a year without changing taste. This works for green and yellow squash. After about 7 months I take mine out and dry them in the dehydrator and powder them to add to all my dishes. including spagetti sauce. Dried veggies add good flavor even to fried meat.

Using Leftover Vegetables, Freezing Green BeansPhoto of green beans with frost on them.
Freezing Vegetables
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesMay 14, 2011
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cut and blanched Brussel sprouts on a white plate.
Blanching Vegetables
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 3:08:20 PM on 10.0.1.93 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.