John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a John Deere that will not start. I purchased a new battery and it still will not start. It will start if I put jumper cables on it.

By Carol from Rapids, MI

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have about a 3 year old John Deere model 115, with a 19 HP B and S engine. It started to lose power going up my hills and then died. It would restart and run a little longer and do the same thing. I had the carburetor worked on and it worked a little better for a short time and now is worse.

It went from running to not starting. The spark is good. It is just not getting gas. If I manually push gas into the bowl it will start and run. I replaced the fuel pump to no avail. It will still not start and is getting no fuel. All the hoses to the fuel pump are fine. The gas cap's vents are open. If the valves are out of adjustment could this cause the engine vacuum to be too low to actuate the fuel pump?

By Alex from Columbia, TN

Answers:

June 29, 2010 Flag

I have a John Deere la105 riding mower, about 1 year old. It won't start. When I turn the key I get one click. I charged the battery and looked for a short or loose wire, same thing. I replaced the solenoid, same thing, turn the key and just one click. I replaced the battery, same thing.

I can get it to start by directly jumping the starter with the battery, but that's the only way. It seems to me that the battery, the starter, and the solenoid are all good. I am stumped. The only mobile John Deere repair within 200 miles closed, so I have to rent a trailer and drive it an hour away! So much for my warranty.

By Frankie from Merritt Island, FL

Answers:

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Well, I also have a John Deere with the same problem. With a freshly charged battery I get a click when I turn the key. Sometines after I turn the key several times the mower will start. When it doesn't I hook up my battery charger, put it on boost and turn the key. With the extra boost it starts. (05/25/2010)

By foxrun41

May 24, 2010 Flag

I have a John Deere LA105 riding mower and it won't start. I have replaced the battery and the solenoid. When I turn the key I only get a click. Any suggestions?

By Tom

Answers:

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like the starter is bad. Here's how you can test it.

1. Place a pair of jumper cables on the proper terminal of your car battery.

2. Using the other end of the cables, attach negative terminal (black) to an unpainted metal surface, preferably on the frame. Locate the starter. You will see a post with a nut holding a red wire. Turn the ignition key to the run position. Take the red clamp on your jumper cable and touch it to the nut with the red wire. This bypasses all other switches, and your battery. If the starter is giving the same reaction it is time to replace it. (05/01/2010)

By EngTech

April 25, 2010 Flag

My John Deere LA130 tractor won't start. The engine tries to start a couple of times, then nothing. It worked fine plowing snow and I leaned forward off the seat for something and it automatically stopped (like it is supposed to) and now won't start.

By McMorrow from Peoria, IL

Answers:

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Yes the mower has a safety device that shuts the engine off when you lift up off the seat. So you have to be in the seat for the mower to operate. Providing that the engine is getting gas and there is no water or ice in the gas line it may have something to do with the safety device attached to the seat. (01/21/2010)

By foxrun41

January 20, 2010 Flag

My John Deere riding mower won't start. It tries to turn over, then gets weaker. It actually sounds like it's very stiff as it turns. Any ideas?

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersOctober 18, 2010
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄