HairBeauty Recipes

Homemade Hot Oil Hair Treatment Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade hot oil treatment for hair?

By Jenny from Mayberry

I put a dab of regular conditioner in the palm of my hand and add a little olive oil. I put on a shower cap while I shower then I wash my hair. You can even just put olive oil on your hair. I'm found it is just as good as the oil treatment you purchase.

Great idea, thanks TXBetty I'll try it. Jenny from Mayberry

Just remember to wash your hair "dry", i.e., shampoo on dry hair; suds thoroughly; then rinse and repeat. If you wet your hair before applying the shampoo you'll have a terrible time getting the oil out, trust me. I know. :)

I use coconut oil (preferable and available from Asian food/chemist/make up shops) or almond oil and this is how I use it: before I wash my hair I put about a dessert spoon full on my hands and rub this through my hair, you may need a little more or less depending on thickness and length. Leave for approx 30 minutes no need to leave any longer, and then wash hair as usual. You could heat the oil beforehand in the microwave. I usually do this once a week or once a fortnight. Too much oil and its difficult to remove. I also use coconut oil with salt crystals or rough sugar and rub over my body as an exfoliator or use this with a body brush. Don't forget to work towards your heart, then shower as usual. Leaves skin soft and is dirt cheap!

Thanks Meshelle I'll give it a go... Jenny

If your hair needs conditioning, give your hair a treat and try this hot oil treatment. In a small bottle or medicine container, put 1 tablespoon of generic baby oil, or more depending on how long your hair is. Mine is short, so I use 1 tablespoon baby oil. Set this is a cup of hot water. Thoroughly wet your hair in really hot water.

Apply the hot oil to your hair making sure you completely saturate the ends. Wrap in plastic bag or towel. Leave on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse, then shampoo as usual and condition. This treatment can be done at a fraction of what a beauty salon or a commercial hot oil treatment would cost. Your hair will look so shiny and feel so good!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

Does hair end up smelling like baby oil?