Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Raised Stenciling With Spackle

Raised Stenciling With Spackle

Decorating a wall with joint compound and a stencil.

Approximate Time 4 hours

• joint compound or Spackle
  • putty knife
  • blue tape for taping stencil
  • colorant (optional)
  • paint (optional)
  • stencil (I got mine from VictoriaLarsen.com)

Instructions:

1. First, make sure wall is clean or painted the color you wish.
  2. Position the stencil to your taste.
  3. Decide if you want to use colorant to your joint compound or Spackle or if you want to paint it after it is done.
  4. If you wish to use the colorant, add it before you start.
  5. Using joint compound or Spackle and a putty knife, paste the compound through the holes of the stencil.
  6. Remove immediately, lifting straight up so not to damage the compound and then let dry completely.
  7. If you use paint, after it has dried completely, paint over the leaves.
  8. If you wish you may also glaze them.

Note: The stencil from VictoriaLarsen.com is a little thicker than the ones you buy in the craft store so that makes the design more raised. However, any stencil will work, it just won't have as much depth. In the picture you see, I used Spackle with white paint.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Pattie McIntyre [37]08/27/2008

Really beautiful....love it!!

Could you possible take another picture so I can get a better look at the stenciling, it's a bit dark and hard to see. Thanks!

By (Guest Post)11/29/2007

First of all, sorry this is so late with a reply. Somehow this address got blocked in my email.

I would not use it where it could get wet. Even if you use some kind of waterproofing on it, it could come off as joint compound is water soluble. It would be painstaking to varnish over it. I have heard where people have used it on furniture by mixing glue with it. I urge you to go to the website I suggested because there are all kinds of applications that are shown.

By Freebyrdz (Guest Post)11/16/2007

Great tip!! I think I will try it on a board and then frame it as art. Thanks!

By (Guest Post)11/08/2007

WoW ! Thats attractive ! I L O V E it !

By Wendy from Oz (Guest Post)11/08/2007

I love the idea ... However, to get more texture on the stencil, it might be worth trying to use a brush & 'stipple' the spackle onto the surface after you have put in on using the trowel, then remove the stencil.

I also wonder if there's some type of paint that you can mix with the spackle that would give you a 'pearlised' effect. You have such a huge variety of everything in the US that I'm sure there'd be something on the market for 'pearlising' paint, in either the hardware store, paint store, chaft or artists supply store. We have only just reached the 21million population here!

As for waterproofing it, I am sure that it would be ok if you used something like tile grouting, as it has to work in showers!

The worst that can happen, is that you just scrape it off, then use a damp cloth to remove all traces of it, then replace your stencil & try it again the 'traditional' way.
Cheers
Wendy

By meme23 (Guest Post)11/08/2007

Looks wonderful!
Would this be ok for an inside window, over a sink? It might get a little wet, and I am wondering if it would work there.
thanks!

By \Shirley. (Guest Post)11/08/2007

Will this wash off? Can I do it on a window or will moisture, if it gets on there somehow, make it come off.
Really neat idea, going to try it!

By Kelly [3]11/08/2007

That's beautiful. Thank you for a terrific idea!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.