Homemade Spackle

Category Walls
There are ways to fill small holes in walls without buying plaster. This page is about homemade spackle.

I like to move pieces of art and family photos that hang on my walls every so often to keep things fresh, or to make room for holiday decorations. Sometimes this requires me to move the picture hanger, those that aren't damage free type. The resulting hole would normally be filled with spackle, sanded, then painted. A lot of effort for such a minor imperfection.

One day while painting a room with latex paint, I noticed that larger drops of paint, when left to dry, became pliable like a putty. I hit on the idea that this half dried paint could be rolled into a a tiny ball and smashed into a hole left by a picture hanger. It worked. Even if you need to lightly sand smooth, the color is through and through. I just drop a few drops of the right color onto a piece of plastic wrap, allow to dry, roll it, and into the hole it goes. Done! No messy sanding and having to get out a brush.

This is old but good. Back, way back in college dorm life, at the end of the year they would charge us if there were holes in the wall or marks etc. My room mate would take out the spearmint green tooth paste and fill all the holes to clean up any holes. Worked great and we were never charged a cent.

Source: my old room mate, Anne

By Brenda from Charlotte, NC

Does anyone know how to make drywall Spackle or putty to repair small holes in the walls?

By Beth from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

If the hole is small enough, just rub the corner of a cake of white soap over the hole, and the soap will fill it just fine. I saw that technique years ago on "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy", and I've been using it ever since! (01/31/2010)

By Melanie Jackson

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

Depending on how small the holes are, plain white(not gel) toothpaste can be used to fill them. Let dry at least 24 hours before sanding/painting. (01/31/2010)

By jean leiner

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

White toothpaste works for small holes. Just take a tiny amount and spread it with any straight edge at hand even a butter knife will do. Spread until blended with the white wall after drying for several hours. Can paint over this with any acrylic paint. (02/03/2010)

By Anna Bryant

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

I've always heard that you can use white toothpaste to fill small holes. (02/03/2010)

By Sandy

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

Try white toothpaste, not the gel kind. Just smooth some on the hole and let it dry for 24 hours. Then you can gently sand it to smooth before painting, etc. (02/04/2010)

By Nancy

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsApril 22, 2013
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Spackle.html