Defrosted Carrots Are Watery

I stored my carrots in the freezer using polythene paper with no holes. After defrosting them, they were watery. Are they safe to eat? How can I dry them and store them?

By Wangari

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I think that they are fine to eat. I usually use my frozen carrots in soup or other cooked dishes. Hope that helps.

No, I have done the same thing. They are safe to eat. Use them in soups etc.

The best way to avoid soggy carrots or any other frozen vegetables is to spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer. place the tray in the fridge and allow to dry naturally. place the dried veggies in freezer bags and remove as much air as possible.

I watch a lot of food network. Alton Brown was showing how to dry peas one night and he used a straw to suck out excess air. well, I did not do this but it is a good idea. nunley10

I am worried you're thinking of drying and storing after freezing and if that's the case, please don't! Once you freeze them they need to be used within a couple of days of thawing!

And agree wholeheartedly that those soggy carrots can be used in soup and stews and also agree with vacuum sealing before freezing in the first place :-) When vacuum sealing they would even be okay to use in a fresh salad as soon as defrosted :-)

Did you blanch them before you froze them? Freezing without blanching makes the cell walls burst and that makes them watery when they thaw.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesDecember 8, 2009
carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
Freezing Carrots
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:33:53 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.