Looking for Italian Potato Ball Recipe

I am looking for an Italian recipe that is a mashed potato ball, with things like chopped ham and cheese rolled into it. Then I think, it was fried. I don't know what it's called, but I ate it at an Italian Festival. It was so good!

Ramona from Granby, MA

I saw this demonstrated on Food TV. You could check Food TV.com for a recipe. I forgot who showed it.

Years ago I got a recipe from a girl I worked with (she's Italian) for rice balls that she made. Perhaps this is similar to what you're looking for? They were delicious! When I go home tonight I will look for the recipe and post it - hopefully, I still have it. In the meantime, Google a recipe for Italian Rice Balls... This may be what you're looking for.

It sounds a lot like a Arancini, an Italian rice ball that's traditionaly made with Aborio rice. Aborio has a very creamy texture when cooked, almost like mashed potatoes. Here's the recipes I've used many times, it's just like what I remember growing up with. I usually make this with cheese and I make some with meat. I make a small melon ball size meatball ahead of time and alternate the two in the center.

Can't find the recipe, sorry.

As Stephanie posted, they're call Arancini, and I've bought them at an Italian market here in the Chicago area. It's called Caputo's. Now, I realize you're not in the Chicago area, but you may be able to buy them ready-made in Italian stores. Just a thought....

Good luck!

Fried Potato Balls
Potato Ball Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International ItalianAugust 21, 2008
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix