Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

Get old, dark stains out of your light-colored carpet once and for all. Pour, don't sprinkle, apple cider vinegar all over stain. Immediately after, drown puddle of vinegar with a mound of baking soda; it should be fizzing. Leave this for 24 hours, or until baking soda has completely absorbed the vinegar. Vacuum up the baking soda clumps; repeat if necessary. This has saved me from renting a carpet cleaner - ever!

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

What would happen if I used baking soda and white vinager on my carpet to get out stains? Would this work or would it damage my carpet?

Candace from Houston, TX

RE: Using Baking Soda and Vinegar on Carpet

Bad idea. All Stains have a pH depending on what caused them. Call a local carpet cleaner (IICRC certified) and tell them what caused it and they should be able to give you advice. In general, you can use
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp powder laundry soap (bleach free of course)
Dampen a clean white towel with mix and BLOT (not scrub). use a shop vac of any vacuum that can take liquids to get the water out. flush with a bit of water and repeat. Do not use for coffee, tea, red wine, or animal urine.

I worked as a carpet cleaner for five years and have seen the result of vinegar/BS in the carpet, generally way too strong for a carpet. Call the pros they should give free advice. (03/30/2007)

By GUEST

I use white vinegar on stains on my carpets or you could use 3M scotch guard cleaner available in aerosol cans from big box stores. Both work equally well. (03/30/2007)

By Dean

Might bleach out the carpet color. (03/30/2007)

By

I met the owner of a maid service who said they use bleach/water on all white carpets, vinegar/water on some stains, and Club Soda on spilled drinks, and for the worst stains like a "piggy trail", they used OxyClean, rinsing many times and wearing gloves/rain boots, all successfully. : ) (03/31/2007)

By Lynda

I have had pet stains and grape juice stains on carpet. Usually, I spray first with Professional Spot Shot (found at Sam's Club) and wipe with damp cloth. Once the stain is damp, I sprinkle some Borax on and rub in to the stain. After it dries, I vacuum the powder right out. This has removed odors as will as the "grape" color from my carpet successfully. (04/02/2007)

By Krystyna

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.