OdorsCleaning

Removing the Smell of Canned Cat Food From a Copper Box

I have a copper box that I use to store my cat's canned food. Unfortunately one of the cans opened and spilled in the box. I've washed each can with Mr. Clean cleaning solution and water, but this gross smell still lingers. What can I do? Thank you.

By Jennie from Tempe

Fill the can with coffee, fresh that is, and leave it overnight.

Wash it with baking soda: one cup in 1 liter of warm water. If you can, leave the box soaking in it for one hour, rinse and let dry in the sun.

Be careful with using anything to clean copper. You can discolor it and stain it. To the best of my knowledge with copper, it will not absorb odors from things, as most metals don't, so I don't know what could be smelling unless there is still some of the cat food stuck somewhere. Try washing in regular soap and water, like Dawn dish soap, and really hot water, rinse with boiling water.

You say you have washed the cans, is it the cans that are smelling or the copper box? If it is the cans, then I would say that the paper labels that have absorbed the odors.

I also am wondering how a can of cat food could accidentally open. Don't you have to use a can opener on them? And if they are the kind that open with a pull tab, perhaps the other cans have developed leaks and the food is rotting inside the cans.