Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Burnt Caramel from a Pan

I made caramel but it burned onto the bottom of the pan. How do you remove encrusted solid sugar/caramel from a stainless steel pot?

Denise from Canada

By

By bhimes12/12/2013

The was awesome! I really thought I had ruined my favorite saucepan with burnt toffee, but I boiled a little Sprite in the pot and it came absolutely clean. Thanks for the wonderful advice!

By Yasu12/12/2010

The baking soda method worked! The baking soda dissolves the stuck caramel, I think.

By Pot Burner (Guest Post)10/10/2008

AMAZING ADVICE on boilibg a carbonated soda. Just a small amount did it. I bow down to your knowledge! Thanks so much.

By Janice (Guest Post)03/09/2008

Thanks, Kate

It worked for me in seconds, I used Diet 7-up!
:)

By Katie (Guest Post)03/06/2008

Boiling carbonated anything (I used sprite zero) worked like a charm within 30 seconds! I definitely recommend that method!

By Marty [4]12/19/2007

I add carbonated soda (Coke Or Pepsi) to the pot and let it boil. It removes almost any burnt on mess.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Burnt Caramel from a Saucepan

When making caramel I forgot all about it and it boiled dry and blackened the pot. How do I get it clean. I have soaked and boiled it in vinegar but not a great amount is coming off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trudy from Australia

RE: Removing Burnt Caramel from a Saucepan

You could try boiling water with baking soda in the pan for awhile. I don't usually measure, but dump instead. Never had that problem so don't really know what works. Some people say to put a dryer sheet in the bottom and fill with water and let sit, don't know if that works, but it's worth a try I guess. (11/16/2006)

By

I have had good luck with burnt foods in pans when I add just a little bit of water, maybe a quarter inch, with a LOT of dishwasher detergent. Make sure it is for the machine and not the sink, and completely cover the bottom of the pan. I use the cheap kind for this. Leave at least overnight, then use a pancake turner and scrape as much out as you can. Repeat several times if you need to. For some reason, I have had better luck with the granule type over the gel or lotion. Hope this helps. (11/16/2006)

By Margie Minard

Put baking soda on the burned areas. You can use a small amount of water but just the soda will help take care of it. Let it sit several hours(all night) (11/16/2006)

By Mary Ann

A dryer sheet in the pan with a little water has always worked for any pan I have tried it in. Let it set overnight. Should come right out. You may have to do it a couple of times. (11/17/2006)

By Mari

I have great luck boiling baking soda on any burnt pans. About 2 large Tablespoons per cup of water. While boiling kind of scrape with a knife . After about a 1/2 hour take a scrubber to it, should lift right off. Good luck (11/20/2006)

By Savory

I boiled chocolate fondue without stirring until there was a 1/4 inch deposit on the bottom of my favorite glass saucepan. I tried all the "women's remedies," with no result: a fabric softener sheet, vinegar, baking soda, even CLR. Finally -- and I don't mean to be sexist here -- I tried a male-oriented tactic: I soaked the mess in WD-40, and scraped it out with a sharp wood chisel, finishing it with a pumice stone. (01/15/2007)

By Sandman

Wow, just tried boiling water and baking soda and it worked a treat! Didn't even have to scrape; the burnt milk just gave up! Thanks! (12/01/2007)

By Clean saucepan