Make Your Own Fabric Softener Squares

Take a package of soft cloths (e.g., generic brand of J-Cloth) and cut them in half. Soak in fabric softener, wring out well, and hang dry. When ready to put a load of clothes in the dryer, slip a dried softener sheet in. These can be used a few times over and then you can start the soaking process over again. The sheets last forever and you'll never need to buy fabric softener sheets again.

By sooz from Toronto, ON

I prefer the dryer sheets. I don't use liquid fabric softener. They are not expensive if you buy the store brands or the ones from the dollar store. I cut each sheet into 3 pieces and I just use the little piece in each dryer load. Eliminates static cling very well. I can get a box of 55 sheets for $1. This gives me 165 uses. If you want more softening, cut the sheets in half; that is less than a penny per each use at 110 per box.

But you are still buying fabric softener. You might be saving 5 cents a year and you have to do that extra work.

That does seem like a lot of work for fabric softner. I agree with the other posts, I'll keep buying the store brand sheets. I have enough to do without making my own softner sheets too.

Better yet: get wool dryer balls. My daughter sent me a set, and I love them - very effective in tumbling the clothes, lightweight and practically silent in the dryer, and seem to last forever (unless you drop one on the floor and your cat or dog discovers it before you notice!)

No need to work that hard! Just pour liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle - about 1/4 cup fill to top with water. Use a old, clean washcloth & spray with diluted softener. Same cloth can be used forever! Re spray cloth every five loads or so.

Making Homemade Dryer Sheets
Making Homemade Dryer Sheets
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsJuly 9, 2010
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Polyester Fabric Squares
Making a Rug from Polyester Fabric Squares
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser