Cleaning a Bleach Stain in a Claw Foot Tub

Despite its usage to clean and whiten, bleach can also cause stains on some surfaces. This is a guide about cleaning a bleach stain in a claw foot tub.

October 25, 2004 Flag

We have an old claw tub (50+ years old) in our apartment. In an attempt to clean and brighten it up we used bleach! I know now this was a huge mistake! Does anyone know to to remove brownish bleach stains?

Best Answer

For the bleach stain on the old porcelain tub, I would try using either "Barkeeper's Friend" or Zud, both are recommended by the porcelain enamel industry for cleaning everything from porcelain sinks to school chalkboards and whiteboards. Works on copper bottom pots too.

Best Answer

I tried the baking soda/peroxide blend on my clorox stain in the tub and voila, no more stain! Thank you!

Best Answer

Clorox 2 was the answer for me! I made the same mistake of using bleach on an old porcelain tub and Clorox 2 liquid worked like a miracle! I didn't even have to scrub - just poured the Clorox 2 all over the tub, spread it around and let it sit for a little while and it removed all the brown stains like magic!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A mixture of peroxide and baking soda worked instantly! What a relief.

Amazing! Peroxide & baking soda. My uncle called me hysterical because he wanted to surprise me with by cleaning my old claw foot tub and used Clorox. Once I arrived and saw the horror it looked more like a rusted bloodbath from a crime scene. I told him to relax while I searched online we cannot be the only people who have done this. I came upon this fabulous website. I decided to pour the peroxide until I run out and get the baking soda. My uncle was so hysterical he kept yelling Santa Maria, Jesus Christo, Dios Mio. Joking, I told him please leave the crime scene. His hands were shaking so bad he could not put the cigarette in his mouth. I had to remind him no smoking indoors please. Well right before our eyes it was gone and so were the old stains without scrubbing. Now I can laugh but earlier no so funny.

Oh man! Thank goodness for this site! I knew I wasn't only one and I had zero clue why my perfectly good claw tub turned brown. Now I know I have tried everything! Down to acid lol but I have got to try this as soon as I get home. Thanks so much :) I did not want to throw my tub out, I love soaking in a hot bath.

Thanks so much for the tip. The peroxide & baking soda worked perfectly. Here's my story: I bought a book "99 cent solutions" and in it was how to brighten the white in your sink by lining the sink with paper towels, then douse them with bleach. It worked so well on my sink that I decided to do the same in my claw foot tub.

When I returned to the bathroom to remove the paper towels, the entire bottom of the tub was brown! I almost had a heart attack and immediately began scrubbing the tub with no results. Then I looked online and found this site so I poured peroxide in the tub and went to get the baking soda. When I returned to the bathroom, moments later, the brown was already disappearing. How delighted I was that all the brown was removed without scrubbing.

Wow, I was cleaning my tub today and used scrubbing bubbles bleach spray. It used to not leave any brown stains but the last time and this time, there were stains near where my brown body scrub was. I don't know how my mother removed the stains the first time. Today was worse. I scrubbed so hard and left the bleach on the stains to no avail.

I decided to go to sleep and tackle it tomorrow. Then I googled and stumbles upon this. I got out of bes, poured hydrogen peroxide on the stains, spreading it around with a sponge and voila, clean! Thanks! I didn't mix anything and just poured hydrogen peroxide over the stains.

Hi I know this is an old post but I just wanted to thank everyone on here! My husband bleached our coloured tub in our rented flat in England - and it went completely brown! But thanks to you I have been able to revive it and its green once more (not my preference but much better than brown! Lol) I ended up using vanish oxygen action as we don't get clorax 2 over here and I couldn't find the Cif oxi gel recommended on here but having read all you comments I knew I needed a hydrogen peroxide mix and the vanish contained that - it worked like a miracle and I can not thank you all enough! It's on occasions like this I love the Internet x hope you all had a great Christmas and a very merry new year x

Morrisons Brights & Whites Active Oxygen Stain Removal Spray £1.20 worked like magic!

I had sprayed a 1937 enamel bath with Detol mould and Mildew spray to try and brighten it up, awful brown marks appeared so I used bleach to try and remove them and made matters 10 times worse. I tried lemon juice and cream of tartar, baking powder etc and then towels soaked in white vinegar none of which really worked, maybe faded a bit.

Thank you to those who recommended oxy products, bought every one I could find and started with cheapest, stains just disappeared as I sprayed it on, no rubbing just rinsed it off and the bath looks better than ever.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomNovember 16, 2016
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎉
🎄