How to Clean Paint Stains on a Leather Jacket

Category Leather
Leather Jacket
Removing paint stains on a leather jacket needs to be done properly so as not to damage the leather and its finish. This is a guide about how to clean paint stains on a leather jacket.

How should I clean a sheep skin leather jacket? My black leather jacket (sheep skin) has been stained by house paint dust and 1 small drop of paint. I don't know how to take it out without a mark left behind. Please help. Thank you.

By Deuan from Sathorn, Bangkok

Best Answer

You must be very careful cleaning it. I have a coat made of 100% sheepskin and know how hard it is to clean. You need to buy a leather and suede brush and spot eraser. They sell them in some supermarkets, and they will have them in any shoe store or shoe repair shop. That is the only thing I can think of that won't distroy your coat. Other than that, you will need to take it to a furrier.

How can I remove paint from my leather jacket without damaging the jacket?

By Clarence from Durham, NC

How do I get paint off of a leather jacket?

Leanne from Scarborough, Ontario

Answers:

Hot Water

Hot water worked great. All I did was, use just hot water from the tap and rub lightly. It came off easily. Thanks for the help. (12/03/2008)

By Matt S

Alcohol and Baby Oil

I bought a high end purse secondhand at a very steep discount, due to the fact that it had a small paint splatter, on one of the bottom corners. I'm not sure what type of paint, it looks like the type for painting interiors. It is made of a rough, textured black leather.

Here's what worked for me: I used isopropyl alcohol, applied it with a Q-Tip and wiped the excess alcohol off with a clean cotton ball. Then I went over the affected spots with a cotton ball soaked with baby oil. Then I cleaned the excess baby oil off with a clean cotton ball. Looks like new! You cannot even tell that there was "damage" to the affected areas. (01/31/2009)

By It works!

Isopropyl Alcohol

Try using plain isopropyl alcohol. If it is latex (or acrylic) is should help in dissolving the paint. I dropped some lime green acrylic on a good pair of Levis and didn't notice it until the next day. I poured the alcohol on the spot, let it set for a few seconds, then with my fingernail, gently began scrubbing. It took a couple of times of pouring a little on to the spot, but it came completely out.

I'm a decorative painter, so you can imagine how excited I became. I started going through some of my clothes that had drops of paint on them and just about every one came clean.

By Kimberly P

Goo Gone

Goo-Gone... it works miracles

By Susan

Cover the Spot

I would try "dabbing" it with a black magic marker, to see if it covers up the spot.

By FrugalFriend

Lacquer Thinner

There are some paints that rubbing alcohol doesn't dissolve very well. I've used a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner to get tough paint spots off leather but I don't know if that type of thinner will effect synthetics.

By Brian

Baby Oil

Today I leaned against a freshly painted post on the the subway platform and got green paint all down the sleeve of my brown leather jacket. One hour later, I rubbed some baby oil directly onto the affected areas and with moderate scrubbing got ALL the pain out.

By Shocked

How can I get paint off a leather coat?

By William from Tampa, FL

Answers:

Paint on a Leather Jacket

You could try turps. I do not think it would do anything to the leather, but I would read up on it first. (01/04/2010)

By Steven

I have my wonderful leather jacket that I love to wear all the time. But, it has this pink paint stain on it. I tried every possible solution to take it off, but nothing worked. Can any of you guys help me out here?

Ben from Ottawa, Ontario

Feedback:

Paint

If none of these solutions work, try finding a fabric paint that closely matches the color of the leather, and just paint over the stain. Not a perfect fix, but something I've used in the past when a stain just can't be removed. (02/24/2009)

By WildIrish

Vinegar

How about vinegar? Or an ink eraser? (02/24/2009)

By Cheryl636

How do I clean white paint off a leather jacket? I don't know what kind of paint it is.

Carol from Victoria, BC

Answers:

Paint on Leather jacket

Isopropyl worked on my black leather jacket for interior latex white paint. I applied it lightly with a Q-tip and gently rubbed. Very minimal leather dye transfer. I then put a bit of olive oil on a cloth and 're-constituted' the leather. You can't really tell. I would recommend against nail polish remover. I tested it and it was almost destructive on the leather. You can definitely tell where the nail polish remover went on in my test spot. (02/19/2008)

By Dave

Paint on Leather jacket

If it is a latex water based paint, you might try hot water on a cloth to soften the paint. It should then come off with gentle rubbing or your fingernail. If it is not water based, you will have to use a solvent which I would apply with a Q-tip, as the solvent will likely change the color of the leather. Using a leather oil or cleaner afterward will likely make this color change less noticeable. (02/20/2008)

By MW

Paint on Leather jacket

I got white paint (strip about the size of two index fingers) on my black leather jacket. Baby oil didn't work but isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol did. Try to use a minimal amount. I'll see what it looks like in the morning but I'll probably have to recondition it. (02/27/2008)

By Wayne

Paint on Leather jacket

Methylated spirits (fondue fuel) works very well to clean leather. It dries it out a bit, but conditioning it brings it right back. Artists use it to prep before painting leather sometimes. Note: It's called all kinds of different things in different countries, so I would Wikipedia it to see what it's called in your country. Good luck. (04/19/2008)

By kk

Paint on Leather jacket

Use "Goof Off"! I managed to get white paint on my red DKNY leather coat. Two weeks had passed when I stumbled upon a bottle of "Goof Off" in my basement. I applied a little on a cotton ball, dabbed it on the paint, and used a clean cotton ball to remove the liquid. And trust Me, GOOF OFF worked beautifully! It didn't even dry out the area or the leather. (09/26/2008)

By DC