Reusing Old Barn and Fence Boards

There are a lot of different projects that one can make out of old weathered barn boards. Now I may be a little behind times here, I don't know if decorating with old barn boards is still in style and frankly I don't care. I love working with the old weather boards, each board has it's own personalty.

Old Barn and Fence Boards Crafts

There are really two main kinds of boards, most old barns were sided in pine, these boards come in 12 inches widths, and are usually 12 feet long or longer. Then there is fence boards which are mostly cedar and are 6 inches wide and vary in length from 6 to 8 feet long, They both make wonderful material to create one of a kind projects. Now you might be asking where in the world do I find old boards? Old fence boards are more common as most of the old barns have collapsed or have been torn down. The best way to find old boards is to place a wanted ad on Craigslist or call your local fence company and tell them that you would like some old cedar fence boards.

I have made several projects out old fence boards, outside planters, framed mirrors with a western theme, and an old bench that my wife has in the catchall room. I even have an uncle that made all of his kitchen cabinets out old weathered barn wood. In my first house, I created a design on one wall with old boards. The possibilities are endless if you let your imagination run wild.

By John from Haysville, KS

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I voted for you because I think this is gorgeous. I hope you will post pictures of some of your other projects. I would have loved to have all my kitchen cabinets from this wood, man I bet that was gorgeous. Great job, thanks for sharing your craft!

Innovative idea but don't hang your horseshoes upside down, all the luck runs out!

Looks great! I try to obtain old wood whenever I can. At my old house, I sanded and painted a row of picket fence and used as a head board in the guest room.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Photo of an old barn.
Crafts Using Old Barn Wood
Photos GardenSeptember 14, 2010
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Felt Pieces
Making Felt/Flannel Boards and Pieces
Wood Paneling
Removing Water Stains from Barnwood Paneling
Old Ironing Board
Uses for Old Ironing Boards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 1:06:14 AM on 10.0.2.178 in 684 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.