I Need a Good Multi-Grain Bread Recipe - Categories:

BreadsBaking & Desserts

I Need a Good Multi-Grain Bread Recipe

I'm desperate for a good recipe for 1 loaf of multi-grain bread not made in a bread machine (I've worn out 3 of them and can't really afford another). I don't mind if it has 1 to 1 1/2 cups of white flour but I want to incorporate different grains and seeds. So much of what I find isn't true multi-grain or it makes more than 1 loaf (I'm the only one here that eats healthy so more than one loaf won't keep).

I hope someone can help me out.

Anna in Indiana

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have "developed" my own multi grain bread recipe.

It is "created" from a whole-wheat honey oatmeal bread recipe because I did NOT have good luck with my bread machine. It is basic but HAVE been able to use my old bread machine bread pans for a great loaf of bread. Please write eloise_gulick@hotmail.com and I will send it to you.

The recipe is sort of involved and lengthy - have also adapted it to make a great yeast raisin bread as well.

If someone has a recipe for this that DOES use a bread machine, I would love to have it.

Arthritis prevents me from kneading bread dough most of the time.

Anna, I'd hate not having a bread machine, and my brother bought one from a friend who was having a yard sale. It was an old model but had hardly been used at all, and she sold it to him for $2.50. If you shop the yard sales and thrift stores you should be able to find a killer deal on one. I usually just use mine to knead and rise the dough, then bake it on a bread stone in the oven. This saves a lot of work.

Sorry I don't have any recipes for whole-grain bread, but mostly what I make is sourdough and occasionally cranberry-nut or buttermilk, cheddar, and pepper breads. I've been looking into various types of rye bread and plan to try some soon. I especially love Pumpernickle and may experiment with creating a sourdough version of it.

One *BIG* suggestion I have for you: use wheat gluten. This is especially true with whole grain breads, because without it they won't rise very well. I add it to all the breads I bake, and it really does make a difference.

Good luck, and happy baking! - Alph

I have a recipe tried and true that I am willing to share. Eloise Gulick

I no longer need a recipe.

I see that you don't need a recipe any more. But as I was reading the comments, I wondered, hasn't anyone heard of heavy-duty mixers with dough hooks? I never use a bread machine, but I do use my Bosch kitchen machine which does all the kneading for me. I can make a batch of 5 loaves of bread (instead of one in a bread machine) and freeze them. It's great! I've been using this machine for over 20 years. Similar mixers are made by Kitchen Aid and others. YOU CAN BAKE BREAD FROM SCRATCH AND NOT HAVE TO KNEAD THE DOUGH BY HAND!

Hi I am also looking for a multi-grain bread but not for bread machine

thanks maude

Did you find a good recipe? will you share? thanks, susan.

khergenroether @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

Could I please have the recipe that someone gave to Anna for a multi grain bread NOT made in bread machine. the return writer said her recipe was tried and true.

I want a recipe for whole grain and multi-grain breads to make without using a bread maker. Can anyone help me?

I am looking for a recipe for Middle Ages horsebread----the kind of bread that Ken Follett talks about in Pillars of the Earth. It has rye, barley, oats, and ground peas and beans of some kind.

To sara: I think what you are looking for could be "ezekeil bread" look in google for recipes.

I could use some multi grain recipes and also some European bread recipes. Thank you for any help.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsDecember 5, 2004
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Woman Multi-Tasking at Home
Multi-Tasking at Home
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:12:28 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.