Covering Exposed Foundation Walls

I would like to do something with our foundation. We live in a ranch style house, built into a hill. The unsightly full, cement basement foundation is exposed on the south side. Foundation on front of house is no problem. The two ends also have more cement exposed than I like. What can I do to make it look nice?

We built the modular 12 years ago and should have brought the siding down then but back then, I thought it would look like too much siding. Now it's too late. The original is faded and nothing new would match. We can't afford to reside the whole house. We had a brick ledge poured when the foundation was made as originally I thought it would look nice to brick it but I think that would be too much brick. Any suggestions?

I've tried planting things along the south side but nothing seems to work. One year I planned sunflowers but they all fell over several times throughout the growing season due to assorted weather. They weren't a permanent solution anyway. For two summers, I have been trying trumpet vines but they are not working either.

DH thought to attach lattice all over, but I think that would look like overkill, too. I thought of trellis' but I don't think that would cover enough and then what about the sides? Maybe someone else has solved this problem before. I'd like to hear and even see some pictures. Thanks.

Arlinn from New York

We have native rock covering our cement basement walls. They have different sizes, so no pattern. Another plus is you can plan a rock-climbing wall on the side of your house for your children.

Tyr some periwinkle (vinca). I recently tried to post this idea but it hasn't appeared yet. I have it on my property and it grows in sun and shade, is very hardy, doesn't need much water, can grow three feet tall at least,and is kind of a miracle plant. It has been growing at my parents house for at least 70 years and my father never even watered it in the summer, in a semi-shady area. I transplanted mine from there. In a couple years you will have a forest of it that you will want to cut back., But it doesn't get out of control. It grows in banks of it or as borders. I have some moldy looking spots in the shade on the stucco wall and i am thinking of just letting it grow over that and trimming it.

I was going to suggest plastic flowers, since nothing will grow, but I like the fieldstone suggestion better. You don't even have to make it real. Could paint in a trompe l'oeil style.

This means you paint it to look like the real thing.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceApril 21, 2008
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Woman Applying Foundation Makeup
Finding Good Inexpensive Foundation Makeup
Cans of different colored paint.
Painting a Concrete Foundation
🎄
🍂