Capital Bean Soup

• 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. dill weed
  • 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
  • Ad
  • 1/4 tsp. tarragon
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2-1lb. bags of dried navy beans

Clean beans. Cover with water and 1 tsp. salt. (Water should be about two inches over the top of the beans.) Soak overnight. (You may have to add a bit more water in the morning if it is all soaked up by the beans.)

Next morning, add the ham hock to the beans. Cook onion in butter and add to the beans. Add remaining spices. Simmer 4 hours or until beans are tender

Serve with cornbread.

Source: I have had this recipe for so long that I'm not sure where I got it. I think it was in a Southern Living magazine. This is the navy bean soup that is famous for being served in the cafeteria where the senators eat. It is (or was) open to the public and we tried the soup when we visited there one time. I was so excited when I found it in the magazine and have made it numerous times when feeding a large group. (It is easily doubled.)

By Sandy from Elon, NC

needs to add grated carrots and if you do not eat pork they sell a powder goya mix that is country ham flavoring that has 0 calories and tastes so good but beware it is high in sodium.

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups BeanFebruary 6, 2009
White Bean and Pasta Soup
White Bean Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Bean Soup
Bean Soup Recipes
black bean burger
Bean Burger Recipes