English Toffee

• 1 cup butter (do not substitute)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped almonds
  • 4 Hershey bars (1oz. size)

Cook butter, sugar, water and vanilla over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown. Put 1/3 cup almonds on a buttered 9x9 inch pan. Pour "batter" on top of nuts. Place Hershey bars on top. Spread evenly when chocolate softens. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 cup almonds. When completely cool break into pieces.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Anybody ever have any more luck finding this one? It's been a while, lol.

Hey, there! I noticed this post while looking for the same recipe. I had it but couldn't find it at the time. I FINALLY found my recipe, and it's really, really close to the kind served at Martinsville High School back in the good ol' days! I kind of tweak it a bit by adding more powdered milk til it reaches the desired taste and consistency though. And remember to use only the freshest eggs since they are raw!

Crumb Crust:

2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1/4 c. + 2 T. melted butter

1/4 c. + 2 T. powdered sugar

Mix well. Press 2/3 of the mixture into bottom and sides of 9 x 13 inch pan. Save 1/3 to sprinkle over top.

In mixing bowl cream:

1 c. softened butter

1 3/4 c. granulated sugar.

Cream for 5 minutes or longer until light and fluffy.

2 packets Nestle premelted baking chocolate

2 t. vanilla

2 whole eggs

Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.

2 more eggs

1 c. dry milk (add more to desired consistency)

Beat 2 more minutes. Put in crumb lined pan and sprinkle remaining crumbs on top. Chill for 12 hours or longer. (I personally can never wait that long!)

December 7, 2009 Flag

Looking for a recipe for a dessert that was called "English Toffee". It was served in our school cafeteria in Waukegan, IL. and we also made it in our home economics class. It was very rich, had graham cracker crust and a chocolate filling of some sort, but I can't remember what other ingredients and have lost the recipe for it. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Tammy from Missouri

English Toffee Recipe

English Cream Toffee Recipe

I've had this for a while, cant remember where I got it other than a candy site. Just made it again and it is fantastic! I also add in chocolate chips when it is poured out on the sheet and setting up well. Just be careful about how long you cook it. Make sure that you stir it continuously, but not too fast either! Good Luck.

Bring to boil in heavy pot (MEDIUM Heat). Boil hard, stirring constantly until toffee threads in cold water (about 20 minutes). Pour onto buttered baking sheet. Cool, turn sheet upside down and break into pieces. Nuts may be added to pan before toffee is poured. (10/29/2006)

English Toffee Recipe

Does this look familiar?

http://southernfood.about.com/od/browniesbars/r/blbb565.htm (10/30/2006)

By mef1957

English Toffee Recipe

No, the one from the link sounds good but that isn't it. This one had Baker`s chocolate in it I am almost sure, it had a very creamy consistency, I do remember you put in the fridge to set it up. I also don't remember nuts being in it, so really not sure why they called it English Toffee. For the "crunch" I think there was just the crumbled up graham cracker crust mix on the top. (10/31/2006)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

Is the recipe from a Pillsbury Cook Off? If so, I think this is it. Only thing, this one uses nuts on top. If not, I'll keep looking for you as I have numerous cookbooks to page through :)

Ingredients :

Preparation :

In a foil-lined 13x9 inch cake pan (grease the foil with butter), arrange the graham crackers. Entire bottom of pan must be covered with graham crackers, you might have to break to make an even fit. In medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over graham crackers. Bake in 400

degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips and as soon as the chips are soft, spread over the top of the cracker crust. Sprinkle with nuts. Chill at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Break into pieces of all shapes and sizes (like English toffee candy). Store in refrigerator. These freeze nicely. Yield: at least 24 bits and pieces.

By SweetCali40

English Toffee Recipe

These recipes all sound very good but what I am looking for was a dessert, almost had a mousse-like consistency. Sort of truffle tasting if that makes sense, was cut into slices and served cold. (11/01/2006)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

HMM, you use a mixture of Imperial measurements and Metric. what is 1/2 lb? is that pound? Could you let us know what that is in Metric? thanks. Beats me why the U.S.A doesn't convert to metric like the rest of the world.

Editor's Note: Yes, that is a half a pound. It would be 226 grams. We've been working on online conversion tables but so far haven't finished them. As for why? Who knows? (03/25/2007)

By Paula

English Toffee Recipe

I think I have the recipe you need.

Mix and place 2/3 in 9x13 inch pan

For the filling:

Beat with mixer and then add

Beat for about 5 minutes. Pour into pan and top with remaining graham crackers. (09/06/2007)

By Diana from Indiana

English Toffee Recipe

Thank-you Diana, that is pretty close I think. But just wondering, no sugar in it? And does it go by a different name? (09/06/2007)

By Tammy

English Toffee Recipe

Hey Tammy from Missouri, I don't have the recipe right now but my sister has it . We went to Martinsville High School in Martinsville Indiana. She is supposed to send it to me as soon as I get it I will send it to you. I remember it well. We used to be so excited to buy our lunch on the day they served it! Carol from Florida. (10/04/2008)

By Carol

English Toffee Recipe

I'm from Waukegan too, and remember this yummy dessert from the school cafeteria and home ec class. Please post the recipe if you find it. I've been searching for this one for awhile. (10/15/2008)

By Nancy

English Toffee Recipe

I also went to Martinsville Schools in Martinsville, IN and have been looking for this recipe. If anyone has found it, PLEASE post it. The one from Diana of Indiana looks like it may be it, is it? (10/30/2008)

By Mary S.

English Toffee Recipe

I have been looking all over for this recipe from school as well- these were always my favorites. Please let me know when you have it available! Thank you so much. (11/30/2008)

By Erin E.

English Toffee Recipe

I also went to school in Martinsville, or Brooklyn IN. My sister and I had looked for this for years. I'm so excited to see others looking! lol I'll have to add the recipe that I found when I get home and compare it to the ones on here. Good Luck! (02/25/2009)

December 7, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a recipe for English toffee.

November 17, 2009 Flag

Melt butter; add sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook to 300 degrees watching carefully after thermometer reaches 280 degrees F. Quickly stir in coarsely chopped warm nuts.

English Toffees
English Toffee Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesDecember 7, 2009
cinnamon, hazelnuts, and chocolate
Cinnamon Hazelnut Toffee Recipes
Two English Bulldogs, one sitting one laying down.
English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos
Chocolate Toffee
Chocolate Toffee Recipes
Toffee Squares
Toffee Squares