Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Hair Dye Off Skin

It happens, you are dyeing your hair and either didn't wear gloves or accidentally get some on the skin around your hairline. This is a guide about getting hair dye off skin.

Warning: Some materials are not designed to be used on skin and could cause a chemical burn. Always follow the manufacturer's safety guidelines.

April 13, 2013 Flag

I used my son's Johnson & Johnson baby body wash the one in the yellow bottle, then I added a bit of sugar to make a light scrub. Within seconds all the hair dye came off my skin, I now make a batch and use it as a body scrub once a week and my skin is super soft.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What do you think the ratio of shampoo to sugar is for your scrub?

October 25, 2007 Flag

Over the years, I have dyed my hair everything from bright pink to blue black. Along the way, I have also accidentally dyed by ears, my neck,my arms and many other body parts, I won't mention. After trying all of the normal methods, I found that the best way to get dried hair dye off of skin is with a combo of Simple Green and baking soda. Not only will it cut through the dye like a hot knife through butter but it will give you a great exfoliation as well!

Keep in mind though, that although the Simple Green is a nontoxic biodegradable cleaner, it will strip your hair of any color. So keep it on the skin and off the hair unless you want blond roots! ;) Hope this helps!

By Roxanne from Richmond, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I dyed my hair dark reddish purple but I have big dark spots on my scalp, have you had that before and what should I use. If you have a idea?

November 26, 2013 Flag

I usually put conditioner around my hair line, ears, neck; anywhere I know dye will get. After I'm done dying my hair, it comes right off! No worries if you get some on your hair before dying it, doesn't do any damage. If you are worried, you can just wipe it off the hair.

By ilma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2013 Flag

All I ever do is use Palmolive dish soap on a facecloth with hot water and voila! I wipe it off immediately as soon as I am done putting dye all over my hair. This has worked for me always.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2011 Flag

How do you get hair dye off your face?

By June from Gateshead

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lysol Lemon Wipes.. it came right off, my skin aND everything. It works!

totally works

March 25, 2015 Flag

My crazy daughter dyed her friend's hair dark brown, without gloves! It is 2 weeks til prom and her hands look like she dipped them in old engine oil!

By Shasha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank u!!!!

Put bleach and laundry detergent and a bowl let it soak for 15min

May 12, 2012 Flag

I dyed my boyfriend's hair and he has hair dye all on his forehead and ears. We have tried everything to get it off; any other tips?

By Rebecca

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ash did not work

That wouldn't make sense, sea breeze is a scalp treatment, they most likely are using a for of "color off" which you can purchase, but simply applying it like sea breeze

January 15, 2010 Flag

Every time I get my hair colored (I really have white hair and have it colored golden blonde), my scalp gets really pink. What can I do to get rid of the scalp color? Or make it go away sooner?

By littlebit from Saint Joseph, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

While all others say scalp irritation I might have a solution that can help. Bear with me for a minute. Use a couple packages of Sweet N Low, not any other sugar substitute, is has to be sweet n low (I would imagine the generic would work too). Add those packets to the dye, cuts down on the allergic reaction. I've tried it several times and it seems to work! I've heard several hair dressers say they use it too!

As a former cosmetologist and major allergy sufferer, I can say from more than one viewpoint that the pink scalp is nothing to play around with. When I was a cosmetologist, we were required to do a patch test on all customers any time we changed the brand or shade of hair color we used. If there was a reaction it didn't always mean the customer needed to stay away from color, but that we needed to try a different brand, or even a different shade of the same brand. If the patch test is used and there is any irritation, keep trying until you find one that does not have a reaction; this may even mean bringing your own color to the salon if the ones there all cause reactions.

If they all cause reactions see an allergist, you may have other sensitivities as well. Do not add anything to the color or just take a benedryl without first trying to alleviate the problem, as this is the least dangerous option. Danger? I know someone who would pop benadryl when she had a reaction and one day she had to take 4 doses before the reaction slowed, 4 doses is a day's worth, and she had to take them all within maybe an hour, next time she may not be so fortunate. Also, have you ever seen a full-blown allergic scalp reaction to a chemical such as color or perm? Horrible to see, painful for its victim, and the effects are lasting.

November 30, 2014 Flag

How do I get hair dye off of my neck and face?

By Diana T from Port Orchard, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd get some petroleum jelly and let that sit on your skin for a few minutes. Afterward get a warm washcloth and gently wipe it off. If that doesn't work with just water try using a good face wash (like the ones that help with pimples and black heads.

Same problem here..got some burning redish spot..if you got solution then please help me too..m worried about my face and beard...thsnk you.

October 5, 2011 Flag

I've dyed my hair and now I have a red ring of dye still on my head. How do I remove it? I need help ASAP!

By Jaki from London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Its so aggravating when something like this happens! ( I've had a few mishaps) use dawn dish soap, it will remove the color. I usually alternate it with baking soda. Hope this helps.

We learned the hard way. Once it sets, hand lotion works best.

April 17, 2014 Flag

The groomer dyed my dog's hair red (did not know until she was picked up). Well now her skin is dyed and can't get it out. Any suggestions? It has been 3 months now.

By Teresa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since you didn't know they were going to dye your pup, if I were you I would take the pup back and have them remove any remaining dye, and without charge. That wasn't very professional of them, to just dye the dog without the owner asking for it.

September 12, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair purple and I got some on my ears. I tried everything to get it off, but it won't come off.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2013 Flag

Can hair dye change the color of a mole near my neck?

By littlebluegirl1973 from MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are asking if this can change it permanently, no. Temporary hair dye might slightly change it IF you concentrate on leaving the dye on the mole. If it has changed on its own or you don't see if change back to normal in a few days, get it checked out. That is the kind of mole that could seriously be something else.

February 3, 2012 Flag

Last night I dyed my hair black and I was in such a rush that I didn't even realize I hadn't put the gloves on. Now my hands and nails are dyed black. I've gotten some of it off, but there's still some there that I can't get. How do I get the rest off?

By Deja from Goliad, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found a link that said that if you take a bowl full of water and mix with 1 teaspoon dawn or other dish washing soap, and rub it with a cloth gently it will take it off. Rinse when done.

Another way is to use toothpaste:

Apply some toothpaste on the stain, on your hand and brush that into the stain and rinse and keep gently brushing until the stain goes away.

Another method is to brush lemon juice onto the stain on your hand and rinse and then put some baking soda on the stain and rinse and keep alternating that.

Here is the link and I hope it helps you out.

http://www.ehow  e-off-hands.html

Blessings, Robyn

A few thoughts:

**IF** your hair dye smells like ammonia, you could try using a weak ammonia solution: put 1 or 2 capsful in a quart of warm water and wash your hands with that. Ammonia's fairly toxic, and it'll be really hard on your skin, so if it doesn't come off quickly, don't leave your hands soaking in it for long. Rinse REALLY thoroughly and moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. They'll need it.

You could also try coating your hands with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil, letting that soak in for a bit, and seeing if the dye comes off when wiped on a paper towel or washed with soap.

Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleach and safe to use on skin. Dump a bottle into a bowl and soak your hands for a while.

Worst-case scenario, nothing works: Paint your fingernails *black or navy blue, and every few days, scrub your hands with a paste of sugar and vegetable oil before washing them with soap. That'll get rid of the dead skin cells on your hands, and speed up the fading of the dye as the new skin comes to the surface. As a bonus, your hands will feel like silk afterwards.

Good luck!

*I'm suggesting colors that won't contrast a lot with the dyed skin, which is not true of, say, dark red.

Fishercat

June 8, 2011 Flag

How do I remove dark purple hair dye from my hands?

By Robin O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't know if this will work, but it removed self-tanner that had turned the palms of my hands orange.Try soaking them in a little Clorox. Then wash well. You may have the smell a little while. lemon juice may help cut it.

My girlfriend did not use a glove and she had was a very deep purple hand. After trying most everything listed above being a smart ass I handed her a brillo pad and with light scrubbing this removed all of the dye on her hand. She says that it is not hurting her hand.

August 24, 2010 Flag

My sister just dyed her boyfriend's hair and got hair dye all over her hands. She tried bleach, toothpaste and baking soda, and this special salon product made to take off dye, but nothing worked.

Men's hair dye is stronger and different from women's. It is harder to take off because it is much stronger. That is why you only leave it on for 5 minutes, unlike for women's hair dye which has to stay on fro 10 minutes. Anyway, what can she use to get men's hair dye off hands, eye brows, and head? Please help.

By lal22

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First, men's hair color is not stronger than womens hair color. The difference in hair colors is the strength of the 'developer' (Lower volume developer covers more quickly and permanently because it doesn't 'lift' but rather 'deposits' the color). In any event here's the advice I gave to someone else today but the difference in advice for you is to not use on the eyebrows themselves or scalp or those hairs will be greatly lightened:

First, it doesn't make a bit of difference how much of a dark/darker color (paint as you call it) was mixed because it would have stained your hands no matter what because you didn't wear gloves. ;-) Since the Clean Touch you tried didn't work then go back to the beauty supply and get 40% volume hydrogen peroxide because it has the highest 'lift' (don't even bother with the 3% volume you get at the pharmacy). Wet your dry hands down well with it and 'lightly' rub a dub dub for a minute or two. You may need to repeat another time or two but it will get rid of most, if not all, of the stain. Wash your hands afterward and use some lotion while your hands are still damp so your skin is moisturized. I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my specialty was as a chemical technician.

June 10, 2013 Flag

I have tried the baking soda, salt, ashes, peroxide, and toothpaste, and nothing has worked. What should I do? I even tried bleach; I've tried literally everything.

By Neena C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to get hair dye off of your hands? I just dyed my sister's hair. She poured too much paint into the mix which made it extra dark. I tried Dawn dish soap and scrubbed with a sponge, toothpaste with baking soda, and a special salon cleanser made for this reason, but nothing helped! I refuse to try cigarette ashes, bleach, or the Magic Eraser, because it takes a layer of your skin away and leaves it raw. Anything else I can use that can be found at home?

By lilpinkx15

Answers:

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Have you tried "Lava" soap? I'm sure that it will take off the hair coloring. (08/26/2010)

By castleberrycc

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

First, it doesn't make a bit of difference how much of a dark/darker color (paint as you call it) was mixed because it would have stained your hands no matter what because you didn't wear gloves. ;-) Since the Clean Touch you tried didn't work, then go back to the beauty supply and get 40% volume hydrogen peroxide because it has the highest 'lift' (don't even bother with the 3% volume you get at the pharmacy).

Wet your dry hands down well with it and 'lightly' rub a dub dub for a minute or two. You may need to repeat another time or two but it will get rid of most, if not all, of the stain. Wash your hands afterward and use some lotion while your hands are still damp so your skin is moisturized. I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my specialty was as a chemical technician. (08/27/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried coconut oil mixed with sugar...amazing!

March 23, 2011 Flag

How do you get hair dye off your skin?

By Brittany from GA

Answers:

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

My mom always told me to put ash on it and it seemed to help a lot on me, also nail polish remover helps too. (10/05/2010)

By tia_lisa_07

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

Get some cotton balls and some hydrogen peroxide. That has always worked for me. It doesn't take much. (10/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

Please never use chlorine bleach! You can try using non chlorine bleach or, better yet, get 40 volume peroxide from your local beauty supply to remove hair color from skin. Having been a hairstylist for 35 years I can assure you that 40 volume peroxide will remove most, if not all, of the color stain and since it is not chlorine based (it's oxygen based) it is safe.

Chlorine is defined by the EPA as a pesticide, whose sole purpose is to kill living organisms, and that the chlorine problem is similar to that of air pollution. Breast cancer, which now effects one in every eight women in North America, has recently been linked to the accumulation of chlorine compounds in the breast tissue.

Two thirds of our harmful exposure to chlorine is due to inhalation and skin absorption.

Chlorine vapors are known to be a strong irritant to the sensitive tissue and bronchial passages inside our lungs and was used as a chemical weapon (Mustard Gas) in World War I. The inhalation of chlorine is a suspected cause of asthma and bronchitis, especially in children, which has increased 300% in the last two decades.
(11/21/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringAugust 9, 2012
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 10:14:32 AM on 10.0.2.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.