Getting Hair Dye Off Skin

Category Coloring
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
It happens, you are dyeing your hair and either didn't wear gloves or accidentally get some on the skin around your hairline. This is a guide about getting hair dye off skin.

Warning: Some materials are not designed to be used on skin and could cause a chemical burn. Always follow the manufacturer's safety guidelines.

Over the years, I have dyed my hair everything from bright pink to blue black. Along the way, I have also accidentally dyed by ears, my neck,my arms and many other body parts, I won't mention. After trying all of the normal methods, I found that the best way to get dried hair dye off of skin is with a combo of Simple Green and baking soda. Not only will it cut through the dye like a hot knife through butter but it will give you a great exfoliation as well!

Keep in mind though, that although the Simple Green is a nontoxic biodegradable cleaner, it will strip your hair of any color. So keep it on the skin and off the hair unless you want blond roots! ;) Hope this helps!

By Roxanne from Richmond, TX

Read 4 Comments

I used my son's Johnson & Johnson baby body wash the one in the yellow bottle, then I added a bit of sugar to make a light scrub. Within seconds all the hair dye came off my skin, I now make a batch and use it as a body scrub once a week and my skin is super soft.

Read 2 Comments

I usually put conditioner around my hair line, ears, neck; anywhere I know dye will get. After I'm done dying my hair, it comes right off! No worries if you get some on your hair before dying it, doesn't do any damage. If you are worried, you can just wipe it off the hair.

By ilma

All I ever do is use Palmolive dish soap on a facecloth with hot water and voila! I wipe it off immediately as soon as I am done putting dye all over my hair. This has worked for me always.

Read 1 Comment

How do you get hair dye off your face?

By June from Gateshead

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Will this paste w ashes strip color from the hair?

My crazy daughter dyed her friend's hair dark brown, without gloves! It is 2 weeks til prom and her hands look like she dipped them in old engine oil!

By Shasha

Answer Was this helpful? 1

It is not easy to get rid of colour but I may suggest to use lemon dish wash with hot water and lemon bar it is useful. With a sponge.okkkk

Every time I get my hair colored (I really have white hair and have it colored golden blonde), my scalp gets really pink. What can I do to get rid of the scalp color? Or make it go away sooner?

By littlebit from Saint Joseph, MI

For the cosmotologist I dyed my hair bright red but I did it myself so it's all on m y scalp my scalp is bright red. Is there anything I can use to get the dye off my scalp without taking the color out of my hair?

I dyed my boyfriend's hair and he has hair dye all on his forehead and ears. We have tried everything to get it off; any other tips?

By Rebecca

rubbing alcohol or coconut oil

I've dyed my hair and now I have a red ring of dye still on my head. How do I remove it? I need help ASAP!

By Jaki from London

Makeup wipes will help but it won't remove it conrpletely

How do I get hair dye off of my neck and face?

By Diana T from Port Orchard, WA

Same problem here..got some burning redish spot..if you got solution then please help me too..m worried about my face and beard...thsnk you.

Last night I dyed my hair black and I was in such a rush that I didn't even realize I hadn't put the gloves on. Now my hands and nails are dyed black. I've gotten some of it off, but there's still some there that I can't get. How do I get the rest off?

By Deja from Goliad, TX

A few thoughts:

**IF** your hair dye smells like ammonia, you could try using a weak ammonia solution: put 1 or 2 capsful in a quart of warm water and wash your hands with that. Ammonia's fairly toxic, and it'll be really hard on your skin, so if it doesn't come off quickly, don't leave your hands soaking in it for long. Rinse REALLY thoroughly and moisturize the heck out of them afterwards. They'll need it.

You could also try coating your hands with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil, letting that soak in for a bit, and seeing if the dye comes off when wiped on a paper towel or washed with soap.

Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleach and safe to use on skin. Dump a bottle into a bowl and soak your hands for a while.

Worst-case scenario, nothing works: Paint your fingernails *black or navy blue, and every few days, scrub your hands with a paste of sugar and vegetable oil before washing them with soap. That'll get rid of the dead skin cells on your hands, and speed up the fading of the dye as the new skin comes to the surface. As a bonus, your hands will feel like silk afterwards.

Good luck!

*I'm suggesting colors that won't contrast a lot with the dyed skin, which is not true of, say, dark red.

Fishercat

How do I remove dark purple hair dye from my hands?

By Robin O.

My girlfriend did not use a glove and she had was a very deep purple hand. After trying most everything listed above being a smart ass I handed her a brillo pad and with light scrubbing this removed all of the dye on her hand. She says that it is not hurting her hand.

I dyed my hair purple and I got some on my ears. I tried everything to get it off, but it won't come off.

Color on colr works too. If u use cololr n get it on ur skin u use the color to clean ur skin. Cosmo trick

The groomer dyed my dog's hair red (did not know until she was picked up). Well now her skin is dyed and can't get it out. Any suggestions? It has been 3 months now.

By Teresa

Since you didn't know they were going to dye your pup, if I were you I would take the pup back and have them remove any remaining dye, and without charge. That wasn't very professional of them, to just dye the dog without the owner asking for it.

Can hair dye change the color of a mole near my neck?

By littlebluegirl1973 from MD

If you are asking if this can change it permanently, no. Temporary hair dye might slightly change it IF you concentrate on leaving the dye on the mole. If it has changed on its own or you don't see if change back to normal in a few days, get it checked out. That is the kind of mole that could seriously be something else.

My sister just dyed her boyfriend's hair and got hair dye all over her hands. She tried bleach, toothpaste and baking soda, and this special salon product made to take off dye, but nothing worked.

Men's hair dye is stronger and different from women's. It is harder to take off because it is much stronger. That is why you only leave it on for 5 minutes, unlike for women's hair dye which has to stay on fro 10 minutes. Anyway, what can she use to get men's hair dye off hands, eye brows, and head? Please help.

By lal22

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

First, men's hair color is not stronger than womens hair color. The difference in hair colors is the strength of the 'developer' (Lower volume developer covers more quickly and permanently because it doesn't 'lift' but rather 'deposits' the color). In any event here's the advice I gave to someone else today but the difference in advice for you is to not use on the eyebrows themselves or scalp or those hairs will be greatly lightened:

First, it doesn't make a bit of difference how much of a dark/darker color (paint as you call it) was mixed because it would have stained your hands no matter what because you didn't wear gloves. ;-) Since the Clean Touch you tried didn't work then go back to the beauty supply and get 40% volume hydrogen peroxide because it has the highest 'lift' (don't even bother with the 3% volume you get at the pharmacy). Wet your dry hands down well with it and 'lightly' rub a dub dub for a minute or two. You may need to repeat another time or two but it will get rid of most, if not all, of the stain. Wash your hands afterward and use some lotion while your hands are still damp so your skin is moisturized. I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my specialty was as a chemical technician.

I have tried the baking soda, salt, ashes, peroxide, and toothpaste, and nothing has worked. What should I do? I even tried bleach; I've tried literally everything.

By Neena C.

What is the best way to get hair dye off of your hands? I just dyed my sister's hair. She poured too much paint into the mix which made it extra dark. I tried Dawn dish soap and scrubbed with a sponge, toothpaste with baking soda, and a special salon cleanser made for this reason, but nothing helped! I refuse to try cigarette ashes, bleach, or the Magic Eraser, because it takes a layer of your skin away and leaves it raw. Anything else I can use that can be found at home?

By lilpinkx15

Answers:

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Have you tried "Lava" soap? I'm sure that it will take off the hair coloring. (08/26/2010)

By castleberrycc

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

First, it doesn't make a bit of difference how much of a dark/darker color (paint as you call it) was mixed because it would have stained your hands no matter what because you didn't wear gloves. ;-) Since the Clean Touch you tried didn't work, then go back to the beauty supply and get 40% volume hydrogen peroxide because it has the highest 'lift' (don't even bother with the 3% volume you get at the pharmacy).

Wet your dry hands down well with it and 'lightly' rub a dub dub for a minute or two. You may need to repeat another time or two but it will get rid of most, if not all, of the stain. Wash your hands afterward and use some lotion while your hands are still damp so your skin is moisturized. I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my specialty was as a chemical technician. (08/27/2010)

By Deeli

Read 1 Comment

How do you get hair dye off your skin?

By Brittany from GA

Answers:

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

My mom always told me to put ash on it and it seemed to help a lot on me, also nail polish remover helps too. (10/05/2010)

By tia_lisa_07

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

Get some cotton balls and some hydrogen peroxide. That has always worked for me. It doesn't take much. (10/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Getting Hair Dye Off of Skin

Please never use chlorine bleach! You can try using non chlorine bleach or, better yet, get 40 volume peroxide from your local beauty supply to remove hair color from skin. Having been a hairstylist for 35 years I can assure you that 40 volume peroxide will remove most, if not all, of the color stain and since it is not chlorine based (it's oxygen based) it is safe.

Chlorine is defined by the EPA as a pesticide, whose sole purpose is to kill living organisms, and that the chlorine problem is similar to that of air pollution. Breast cancer, which now effects one in every eight women in North America, has recently been linked to the accumulation of chlorine compounds in the breast tissue.

Two thirds of our harmful exposure to chlorine is due to inhalation and skin absorption.

Chlorine vapors are known to be a strong irritant to the sensitive tissue and bronchial passages inside our lungs and was used as a chemical weapon (Mustard Gas) in World War I. The inhalation of chlorine is a suspected cause of asthma and bronchitis, especially in children, which has increased 300% in the last two decades.
(11/21/2010)

By Deeli

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin
I was dyeing my friend's hair black and I didn't have any gloves. So now my hands are blacker than ever, even my nails were stained black. I've tried toothpaste, Germ-X, Dawn dish soap, and cigarette ashes. And I'm supposed to getting my nails done tomorrow. Can anyone help?

By Shelby from Golden Meadow, LA

Answers:

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Hello All, use the following: half spoon each toothpaste, lemon juice and dish wash liquid. Mix ingredients together and apply on the skin. Wait for 5 minutes. Apply vaseline, nail polish remover in cotton, scrub the areas where you have earlier applied and wash with water. Sounds funny but believe me it worked. (06/13/2010)

By joross

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

When I dyed my hair the instructions said to use peroxide to remove dye from your skin. (06/13/2010)

By maliboo99

How to Get Hair Dye offof Skin

Try soaking in bleach and lemon juice. Be careful if you have any open cuts as it will sting. (06/15/2010)

By Amy3e

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Soak in hydrogen peroxide, wash and repeat. If may not get all of the stain off (black is difficult to remove) but it will get most of it off. In the future if you don't have gloves, use a large plastic baggie ;-) (06/15/2010)

By Deeli

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Magic Eraser is an abrasive, so be aware that you are scraping off a layer of skin when you are using it. That is why it is stinging. It looks so soft, just like a sponge, but it is an abrasive, which is why it works so well on soap scum! It is NOT meant to be used on skin.

Note: do not use combinations of these suggested things. Bleach and vinegar, for example, might be toxic. Certainly you are not supposed to mix an acid or a base with bleach, as some combos can release chlorine gas, which is poison. Other combos with only cancel each other out, such as vinegar and baking soda.

It is often better to use products that are formulated for use on the skin rather than laundry products. (06/15/2010)

By louel53

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

I always use nail varnish remover. Smells awful but works quite well. (06/15/2010)

By Timid Tulip

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

You know when you cleanse, tone and moisturize your skin? Well the toner takes off the hair dye like magic and is safe and non toxic to use. Any toner will do. (06/15/2010)

By cazpumpkin

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Try clorox. It's worked for me when I get some in front of my hair line. (06/15/2010)

By PDG

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

Try using Nair, yes the hair removal cream. I found out this worked when Nair pretty much removed not only the hair on my legs, but the sunless tanner too. Since then I have used Nair many times to remove mistakes from sunless tanner, until my friend had purple hair dye all over her hands. I told her to try Nair and, no more purple hands! (06/22/2010)

By jenh22

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

I used the comet liquid cleaner on my arms, nails, and hair line. I got my black hair dye all over. Lol. It removed the dye from my arms and nails but not my hairline. So I used Brugal (my dad recommended it). Brugal is a rum from Dominican Republic. (06/26/2010)

By sugarsnapsify

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

I've dyed my hair black numerous times, and while it's processing I take a sponge soaked in Dawn dish detergent and it works like magic to get all the dye off. Before I found this I used everything from bleach to scrubbing bubbles to cigarette ashes. It's so simple it's stupid.

So yeah, for a cheap way to get hair dye off your skin use Dawn and a sponge. You don't even have to scrub hard at all. It simply vanishes from your skin! (07/09/2010)

By bibbityorsie

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

I found these awesome towelettes at my local Walgreens. Made by Fanci-full, simply called Haircolor Stain Remover Towelettes, I paid $2 for 2. They actually took hot pink dye off of my scalp and hairline. I had literally tried every home remedy listed here and nothing even faded this stuff. The towelettes took it off with only minor scrubbing. Highly recommend trying this before you scrub off layers of flesh. (07/19/2010)

By MrsCraft

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

My 2 year old got into some black hair dye that was left in the container and decided to rub it all over her body. To my surprise when I was changing her diaper I swiped the baby wipe across her leg and no more hair dye. Huggies cucumber melon baby wipes removed any traces of the dye! (07/31/2010)

By corrine7

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

There are a few products out there for this actually to put on before coloring. I saw one in a salon called Prep Skin Guard. Seems to work quite well. I believe you can order it online. Hope this helps. (08/02/2010)

By schnur23

How to Get Hair Dye off of Skin

I dyed my step moms hair a reddish brown color this afternoon. My hands looked like they had blood all over them when I was done, because I do not like using the gloves. I got online to try and find an at home remedy because I had already tried fingernail polish remover, magic eraser, baking soda and peroxide. Even the dye remover pads you buy from Sally's.

So while I was looking online I tried a couple of the things mentioned by people on this site and they worked, but only a little. Well I got to thinking what if i mixed them together? So I mixed toothpaste, cigarette ashes, dawn dish soap, baking soda, fingernail polish remover, vinegar, and lemon juice together. I applyed the mixture to my hands and scrubbed till it was a lathery paste. I let that sit on there for about five minutes. I applyed the paste twice, and it removed all of the dye almost perfectly. It left some around my nail bed but I had a liitle of the mixture left over and I just applyed it to each finger nail. Then scrubbed with an old toothbrush, and voila! Perfect hands! (08/05/2010)

By britt_brat011

I was skeptical of using cigarette ashes, but I tried a few other things that didn't work. The ashes worked wonders. Who knew they were good for something!

I dyed my hair purple on top and black underneath. The black was easy the purple, on the other hand was not.

Will black permanent hair dye wear off the skin? If so how long will it take? Otherwise how can you get it off?

How do you get hair dye off of your skin?

How do you remove black hair dye from skin?

I dyed my mother's hair and I got it all over the side of her face, hairline and ears. I need to know how to get it off. Please help me.