Cracks in Chocolate Covering on Caramel Apples

I make a lot of caramel apples dipped in chocolate. My problem is that the chocolate will crack and sometimes the cracks are quite large. After I put the caramel on, I put in the frig to harden, then dip in chocolate. Then I put back in the frig to set the chocolate.

Can any one tell me how to stop the cracking? What am I doing wrong? I use Peter's brand of caramel and candy melts (wafers) for the chocolate.

By Terry from MI

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Try cooling the apples at room temperature. They may be cooling too fast.

In most recipe using dipping chocolate they use shortening in the chocolate. Might try a tablespoon of shortening in the chocolate. Also like Ann said keep the apple at room temperature.

Thank yous for the feedback. I will use these suggestions.

Terry in MI

Making Carmel Covered Apples
Making Carmel Covered Apples
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsSeptember 30, 2010
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Chocolate Caramel Bars
Chocolate Caramel Bars Recipes
Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
Solutions for Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 11:32:54 AM on 10.0.2.156 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.