Tear in a Nylon Winter Coat

My first grader has ripped a hole in his new nylon-covered winter coat. We just got it and need to make it last. The hole is on the back where it is very visible. The cloth is a nylon, backed with some sort of thin coating. How do I fix it?

Karen from LaPorte, IN

First of all, don't try to iron any patches on...the nylon will melt!

Depending on exactly where in back and how big the tear is, I would repair the tear either by hand or on a machine, and then sew on an applique patch. Or use some contrast fabric to patch it in a shape or design and put more on other parts of the coat (like elbow patches) to tie the color in. A good tailor shop should be able to give you some ideas.

Hi!

Aren't kids amazing? I thought I was destructive until I had kids and met the true masters of the sport!

Take the coat to a fabric store and beg for help. There are patches for nylon fabric. If there's any fabric missing--and possibly if there isn't--remember that the way to secure a nylon edge is the careful use of a candle. The nylon will melt, seal together and then not fray. Don't burn the coat down. That would be counter-productive...lol...anyway, the fabric store angels will direct you to a patch that will work on your fabric. Sometimes you can even find a patch that's "cool" and will look like it was put there intentionally.

Best of luck!

Home and Garden Repair ClothingDecember 17, 2008
Nylon Netting for Crafts
Buying Nylon Netting for Crafts
tear in right triangle piece on quilt
Repairing a Tear in a Quilt Block
White cat looking up at the camera.
Removing Tear Stains on White Cats
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 4:20:07 PM on 10.0.1.11 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.