Making a Nylon Potato Keeper

Category Dry Storage
This is a page about nylon potato keeper. A fun way to store potatoes that keeps the air flowing freely is in a nylon stocking.

Borrowed technology, that's what it is, People, borrowed technology. I got this idea from our ever clever fellow member, Miz Toosa (Attosa). She posted a great tip on keeping onions lots longer by hanging them in nylons (Bless her heart).

I lost a lot of potatoes recently. They were stored in a colander, as usual. I guess they didn't get enough circulating air. When you're poor as a church mouse, you can't afford such losses. Miz Toosa's tip to the rescue!

We just had a Dollar Tree to open nearby. I am ecstatic. And yes, they had double barrel nylons (panty hose) for a dollar. I bought a pair. And I put my nose in the air when the cashier gave me a weird grin as he rang them up.

I had just bought another 10 lbs. of white russets. I didn't want any of them going bad, too. Back home, I started shoving potatoes down the panty hose. Well, Guess what, Y'all, I can get 5 lbs in each leg! The picture shows only a third of the filled hose.

I loosely tied string between the potatoes. The red arrow points to a bread bag closure, the only one I had. As soon as I have collected enough, I will use them instead of string. Much faster and easier.

This tip wont be needed for a large family of chow hounds, but if you have a small family, a limited budget and need to buy in large quantities to save money, it should cut potato waste down to zero.

50¢ a leg-5 lbs. per leg-reusable-nice!

Food and Recipes Storage Dry StorageFebruary 12, 2017
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Nylon-Potato-Keeper.html