Storing Sweet Potatoes

Category Storage
A basket of sweet potatoes.
Deciding how to best store your sweet potatoes depends on how many you are storing. A garden harvest may require a different method than a few purchased at the market. This is a guide about storing sweet potatoes.

How do I store sweet potatoes?

GayLynn from Texas

Answers

Best Answer

I store mine in the garage with a cover on them, like plastic or several layers of news papers. Anywhere it's dry & cool will be ok. On the farm we dig a round hole about 6 inches deep, the size of a wash tub. Line it with pine straw then put potatoes in it then cover with straw & about 3 inches of dry dirt. Leave an air hole in top of this hill so the pot want rot, when you get ready to cook some just dig a small hole into the hill. Get out what you need, cover it up again. Good luck, you may locate some info online.

Thanks Kathleen, your idea for storing the potatoes sounds like a really good idea.

When I get sweet potatoes on sale, I try to buy a good bit. I then bake them in the Micro-wave to almost done. I then cool them, peel, slice them, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. After frozen, I place them in plastic bags. You can then take them out as you need them. Very fast for a quick vegetable to fix.

If any of these sweet potatoes start to sprout, in the spring, cut them in half and put them in a large flower pot/container. The foliage is beautiful and trails all over. In the fall, dig up the potatoes that have grown in the soil. They are the 'sweetest' potatoes! It's fun to see what you have grown!