Storing Potatoes

Category Storage
Potatoes can begin to spoil or sprout while being stored. This is a guide about storing potatoes.

Sprinkle some dried thyme into the bag, and store in a cool dry place. I just got this bag for 99 cents, and want to use every single potato!

Potatoes want to grow when they are stored. There are a few things you can do to discourage the sprouting. This is a guide about keeping potatoes from budding.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about keep potatoes from sprouting. As potatoes ripen they will begin to sprout. There are some things you can do to slow down this process, such as storing in a dry, dark, cool place.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about nylon potato keeper. A fun way to store potatoes that keeps the air flowing freely is in a nylon stocking.

Deciding how to best store your sweet potatoes depends on how many you are storing. A garden harvest may require a different method than a few purchased at the market.

This is a guide about storing sweet potatoes.

Saving potatoes for the next growing season is one alternative to buying seed potatoes. This is a guide about storing potatoes for planting in spring.

Can I store potatoes in the fridge?

Elaine from West Bromwich

Answers

Hi Ellen! Storing potatoes in the fridge causes the starch in potatoes to become sweeter. I personally don't like the taste that comes from refrigerated potatoes.

I read that one man pulls his out of the refrigerator about an hour before he plans to cook them because, he says, it helps the starch balance to come back...I have never tried that. I hope this helps.

Hello Elaine, I always store potatoes in a cool dark place. They stay fresh and don,t go green or start sprouting. Hope this helps

By Lorraine Z (Guest Post)

I just learned this recently. Put potatoes in a brown bag in a cool place. My pantry works for this. Haven't thrown out a potato since.

I store mine in the fridge, because here in AZ it is too hot to keep them anywhere else. Mine have kept in the fridge for 2 months without sprouting.

How long can I keep fresh potatoes?

By Laura from Duncan, OK

Can I store my potato harvest in a bucket of sand? Some people tell me yes, but it must be dry sand. Others tell me yes, but it must be moist sand. I can't do a cool/dry place, as my basement gets very damp and my garage gets very cold in the winter (I live in Rochester NY). Does anyone out there have an answer? hopefully one based on your own experience. Thanx u guys, I love ya!

By amy from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

When my kids were small we bought potatoes by the 100 lb. bags and we just stored them in the basement of our house. When we bought the house my husband built a fruit cellar under the stairs and on the two outside walls he installed foam sheets of insulation and that is where we stored all of our home canned goods, and the potatoes.

What he did was under one of the bottom shelves he built a mini wall and we just dumped the bag of potatoes into that bin to keep them from rolling all over. I have never heard of storing potatoes in sand, wet or dry. My parents or my in-laws never did anything like that. I also picked my green tomatoes before the first frost and wrapped them individually in newspaper and put them in a cardboard box in the fruit cellar and we had ripe tomatoes in November. I live in SD and we aren't exactly known for moderate weather conditions. (08/19/2010)

By Joan

Storing Potatoes

Try some in both places in dry sand and see what happens for you in your circumstances.
You could call a college/university agriculture department and ask them for your area. (08/20/2010)

By Linda Kennedy

Storing Potatoes

I don't know about storing in wet or dry sand, but here's an excellent PDF that should give you enough information to know how to store for your particular circumstances :-)

wsu.edu

Redhatterb, just sharing that my mom's paternal grandparents homesteaded in the Black Hills near Lead in the early 1890s to the mid 1930s and they stored their taters and assorted other harvest in the caves/caverns there on the limestone during the fall, winter, and spring which worked as a perfect natural cellar back then, so I can completely relate to what you're talking about ;-)
(08/20/2010)

By Ann

Storing Potatoes

When I was a kid, we stored carrots in containers of sand. The sand was dry. It worked great and the carrots lasted all year this way. (08/20/2010)

By ilovesophie

Storing Potatoes

I grew up in northern NY. Our cellar was damp, stone walls and a dirt floor. The furnace was in the cellar. My dad stored potatoes in an open wooden box away from the furnace in the cellar. They would start to sprout by spring, but stayed firm and we ate them until the next harvest. (08/21/2010)

By Beth

To make potatoes last longer in your cabinet, empty potatoes into the sink, rinse with cold water then set them out on a towel to dry overnight before putting them back in the bag. I use a plastic basket with air holes in it and put them back in the cabinet. This helps keep them from going bad as quickly. I buy potatoes on sale and use this method. I don't have to buy potatoes as often.

By Jennifer from Peru, IN

If you have trouble with your potatoes turning green or trying to grow before you can use them up, try this: Take them out of the plastic bag and put them in a paper grocery sack. Close it up and store them someplace dry and cool, if possible. I have been keeping mine in a basket on top of my fridge. I had potatoes in there for a month and a half, and they looked the same at the end as at the beginning.

A couple other tips I have learned about potatoes. Never store them in the fridge because the starches turn into sugars. Don't wash them before storing, just before using. If they have to be washed first, for some reason, make sure they are perfectly dry so they won't rot. And don't store them near onions, as convenient as it seems. This will cause both the potatoes and onions to spoil faster.

Source: I read way too many cooking websites and magazines. ;)

By Jess (TF Editor) from Hillsboro, OR

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

Thank you so much. We are only 2, but the prices on 10# are sometimes too good to resist, and sometimes my neighbors have gone for the same bargains. I do love potatoes, but not every day. I also read way many food mags and books, but aren't they fun! (09/05/2009)

By susan winship

Storing Potatoes

I don't doubt the good advice, but I've always kept the onions in the mesh and plastic grocery bag with the potatoes in their original bag/plastic grocery bag in the bottom drawer of my fridge. I've never really had a problem.

Living in Florida, hard to find cool places. :) Don't know about the sugar change. However, good advice just the same. (09/06/2009)

By Heather Krucker

Storing Potatoes

Thanks for the tip! My husband and I have been trying to fix that problem. We buy 50lbs of potatoes because it saves a lot, and also because of our winters here. We will definitely try your tip! (09/09/2009)

By Bonnie

Storing Potatoes

When I was married and our two daughters were still at home, we would buy 100 lbs. of potatoes, and store them in the burlap bag that they came in, in the fruit cellar in our basement. (09/09/2009)

By Joan

I am just about to dig up a main crop of potatoes, having never grown them before. What is the best way to store them? Can I freeze them straight away? Any help appreciated please.

otatoes should be stored in cool, dark place with at about 40F. If potatoes get too warm, they will sprout and if they get too cold, they will get sweet.