Storing Potatoes

Sprinkle some dried thyme into the bag, and store in a cool dry place. I just got this bag for 99 cents, and want to use every single potato!

13 Questions

Can I store potatoes in the fridge?

Elaine from West Bromwich

Answers

Hi Ellen! Storing potatoes in the fridge causes the starch in potatoes to become sweeter. I personally don't like the taste that comes from refrigerated potatoes. I read that one man pulls his out of the refrigerator about an hour before he plans to cook them because, he says, it helps the starch balance to come back...I have never tried that. I hope this helps.

Hello Elaine, I always store potatoes in a cool dark place. They stay fresh and don,t go green or start sprouting. Hope this helps

By Lorraine Z (Guest Post)

I just learned this recently. Put potatoes in a brown bag in a cool place. My pantry works for this. Haven't thrown out a potato since.

I store mine in the fridge, because here in AZ it is too hot to keep them anywhere else. Mine have kept in the fridge for 2 months without sprouting.

I ALSO LIVE IN ARIZONA AND ALSO KEEP MINE IN THE FRIDGE...

Answer this Question

How long can I keep fresh potatoes?

By Laura from Duncan, OK

Answer this Question

Potatoes want to grow when they are stored. There are a few things you can do to discourage the sprouting. This is a page about keeping potatoes from budding.

Budding Potatoes on a white background

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about keep potatoes from sprouting. As potatoes ripen they will begin to sprout. There are some things you can do to slow down this process, such as storing in a dry, dark, cool place.

Sprouting potatoes in a bowl.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about nylon potato keeper. A fun way to store potatoes that keeps the air flowing freely is in a nylon stocking.

Hanging potatoes in pantyhose.

Saving potatoes for the next growing season is one alternative to buying seed potatoes. This is a page about storing potatoes for planting in spring.

Potatoes stored in bins for spring planting.

Deciding how to best store your sweet potatoes depends on how many you are storing. A garden harvest may require a different method than a few purchased at the market. This is a page about storing sweet potatoes.

A basket of sweet potatoes.

Can I store my potato harvest in a bucket of sand? Some people tell me yes, but it must be dry sand. Others tell me yes, but it must be moist sand. Does anyone out there have an answer?

To make potatoes last longer in your cabinet, empty potatoes into the sink, rinse with cold water then set them out on a towel to dry overnight before putting them back in the bag. I use a plastic basket with air holes in it and put them back in the cabinet.

If you have trouble with your potatoes turning green or trying to grow before you can use them up, try this.

I am just about to dig up a main crop of potatoes, having never grown them before. What is the best way to store them? Can I freeze them straight away? Any help appreciated please.

otatoes should be stored in cool, dark place with at about 40F. If potatoes get too warm, they will sprout and if they get too cold, they will get sweet.

Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 4, 2013
👒
🐛
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Potatoes-3.html