Storing Potatoes

Category Storage
Potatoes can begin to spoil or sprout while being stored. This is a guide about storing potatoes.

Sprinkle some dried thyme into the bag, and store in a cool dry place. I just got this bag for 99 cents, and want to use every single potato!

This is a guide about keep potatoes from sprouting. As potatoes ripen they will begin to sprout. There are some things you can do to slow down this process, such as storing in a dry, dark, cool place.

Sprouting potatoes in a bowl.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about nylon potato keeper. A fun way to store potatoes that keeps the air flowing freely is in a nylon stocking.

Hanging potatoes in pantyhose.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Saving potatoes for the next growing season is one alternative to buying seed potatoes. This is a guide about storing potatoes for planting in spring.

Potatoes stored in bins for spring planting.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Deciding how to best store your sweet potatoes depends on how many you are storing. A garden harvest may require a different method than a few purchased at the market. This is a guide about storing sweet potatoes.

A basket of sweet potatoes.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can I store potatoes in the fridge?

Elaine from West Bromwich

Answers

Hi Ellen! Storing potatoes in the fridge causes the starch in potatoes to become sweeter. I personally don't like the taste that comes from refrigerated potatoes. I read that one man pulls his out of the refrigerator about an hour before he plans to cook them because, he says, it helps the starch balance to come back...I have never tried that. I hope this helps.

Hello Elaine, I always store potatoes in a cool dark place. They stay fresh and don,t go green or start sprouting. Hope this helps

I just learned this recently. Put potatoes in a brown bag in a cool place. My pantry works for this. Haven't thrown out a potato since.

I store mine in the fridge, because here in AZ it is too hot to keep them anywhere else. Mine have kept in the fridge for 2 months without sprouting.

How long can I keep fresh potatoes?

By Laura from Duncan, OK

Can I store my potato harvest in a bucket of sand? Some people tell me yes, but it must be dry sand. Others tell me yes, but it must be moist sand. I can't do a cool/dry place, as my basement gets very damp and my garage gets very cold in the winter (I live in Rochester NY). Does anyone out there have an answer? hopefully one based on your own experience. Thanx u guys, I love ya!

By Amy from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

When my kids were small we bought potatoes by the 100 lb. bags and we just stored them in the basement of our house. When we bought the house my husband built a fruit cellar under the stairs and on the two outside walls he installed foam sheets of insulation and that is where we stored all of our home canned goods, and the potatoes.

What he did was under one of the bottom shelves he built a mini wall and we just dumped the bag of potatoes into that bin to keep them from rolling all over. I have never heard of storing potatoes in sand, wet or dry. My parents or my in-laws never did anything like that. I also picked my green tomatoes before the first frost and wrapped them individually in newspaper and put them in a cardboard box in the fruit cellar and we had ripe tomatoes in November. I live in SD and we aren't exactly known for moderate weather conditions. (08/19/2010)

By redhatterb

Storing Potatoes

Try some in both places in dry sand and see what happens for you in your circumstances.
You could call a college/university agriculture department and ask them for your area. (08/20/2010)

By oldlinda

Storing Potatoes

I don't know about storing in wet or dry sand, but here's an excellent PDF that should give you enough information to know how to store for your particular circumstances :-)

wsu.edu

Redhatterb, just sharing that my mom's paternal grandparents homesteaded in the Black Hills near Lead in the early 1890s to the mid 1930s and they stored their taters and assorted other harvest in the caves/caverns there on the limestone during the fall, winter, and spring which worked as a perfect natural cellar back then, so I can completely relate to what you're talking about ;-)
(08/20/2010)

By Deeli

Storing Potatoes

When I was a kid, we stored carrots in containers of sand. The sand was dry. It worked great and the carrots lasted all year this way. (08/20/2010)

By patches

Storing Potatoes

I grew up in northern NY. Our cellar was damp, stone walls and a dirt floor. The furnace was in the cellar. My dad stored potatoes in an open wooden box away from the furnace in the cellar. They would start to sprout by spring, but stayed firm and we ate them until the next harvest. (08/21/2010)

By Retired Empty Nester

To make potatoes last longer in your cabinet, empty potatoes into the sink, rinse with cold water then set them out on a towel to dry overnight before putting them back in the bag. I use a plastic basket with air holes in it and put them back in the cabinet. This helps keep them from going bad as quickly. I buy potatoes on sale and use this method. I don't have to buy potatoes as often.

By Jennifer from Peru, IN

If you have trouble with your potatoes turning green or trying to grow before you can use them up, try this: Take them out of the plastic bag and put them in a paper grocery sack. Close it up and store them someplace dry and cool, if possible. I have been keeping mine in a basket on top of my fridge. I had potatoes in there for a month and a half, and they looked the same at the end as at the beginning.

A couple other tips I have learned about potatoes. Never store them in the fridge because the starches turn into sugars. Don't wash them before storing, just before using. If they have to be washed first, for some reason, make sure they are perfectly dry so they won't rot. And don't store them near onions, as convenient as it seems. This will cause both the potatoes and onions to spoil faster.

Source: I read way too many cooking websites and magazines. ;)

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

Thank you so much. We are only 2, but the prices on 10# are sometimes too good to resist, and sometimes my neighbors have gone for the same bargains. I do love potatoes, but not every day. I also read way many food mags and books, but aren't they fun! (09/05/2009)

By tennesue

Storing Potatoes

I don't doubt the good advice, but I've always kept the onions in the mesh and plastic grocery bag with the potatoes in their original bag/plastic grocery bag in the bottom drawer of my fridge. I've never really had a problem.

Living in Florida, hard to find cool places. :) Don't know about the sugar change. However, good advice just the same. (09/06/2009)

By kghsave

Storing Potatoes

Thanks for the tip! My husband and I have been trying to fix that problem. We buy 50lbs of potatoes because it saves a lot, and also because of our winters here. We will definitely try your tip! (09/09/2009)

By Davidicdancer

Storing Potatoes

When I was married and our two daughters were still at home, we would buy 100 lbs. of potatoes, and store them in the burlap bag that they came in, in the fruit cellar in our basement. (09/09/2009)

By redhatterb

I am just about to dig up a main crop of potatoes, having never grown them before. What is the best way to store them? Can I freeze them straight away? Any help appreciated please.

Sara from Wales, UK

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

Peel the potatoes then cut into chunks. Blanch them for about 2 minutes in hot water. Cool them off, then freeze them in zip top bags. Several years ago we couldn't turn down a bargain we found at a flea market. One of the vendors sold us a large box of potatoes for $2.00. When we got home, I read in one of my cookbooks that potatoes can be frozen. (08/14/2008)

By MCW

Storing Potatoes

Hello, we recently moved into a new home and I now have a pantry. Is it safe to store my potatoes in the pantry as long as the door stays closed most of the time. What about the special bins made for storing potatoes? Do they stay cool enough in these containers?

Thanks for any help. God Bless, Kim (08/14/2008)

By crazylena

Storing Potatoes

Just a couple of things regarding potatoes. If you are storing potatoes for any length of time, do not store them in plastic bags. They rot very quickly in such conditions. Here in Saskatchewan, Canada, no one freezes potatoes, as they are so easy to keep in a cellar or even in a cold room. If you live in a house with a crawlspace or true cold storage room, you are good to go for months. We often store them in burlap bags, which here are called potato sacks.

Be sure your potatoes are dry before you store them. Do not try to store any that are split or have been cut by the hoe when being dug. If you have very muddy potatoes, you can wash them before storage, but it is not necessary to do so, and most people do not. Let the potatoes dry for a few hours, brush off the dirt as you bag them up, and put in cool storage.

For best storage, your potatoes should be totally mature. Here we do not usually dig our potatoes until the tops have started to dry up. Immature potatoes have very thin skin, and the tougher the peel, usually, the longer the potato will keep in storage.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

My source -- a lifetime of growing potatoes and storing them, in a community where everyone grows their own!
(08/14/2008)

By louel53

Storing Potatoes

It hasn't been mentioned before but you need to make sure you don't store potatoes where sunlight can make them turn green. You shouldn't eat any of the potatoes that turns green. I also sort mine according to size. The small ones I can whole for quick 'fried' potatoes. Our family loves to eat fresh french fries. Happy digging! (08/14/2008)

By Nancy

Storing Potatoes

The other thing to remember is to check on the potatoes regularly to ensure that they have not sprouted. If they have, then remove all the "eyes".

When I was a kid, it was always my job to clean the eyes off the potatoes after they have sprouted. Not fun, but had to be done. (08/14/2008)

By Karyn01

Storing Potatoes

For years I washed, quartered, and pressure canned my potatoes in quart jars. They will keep forever. Great to fry, casseroles around a roast, hash browns or just nuke them in covered dish in microwave with butter, olive oil and your favorite spices. The only draw back is you could nuke them until your grandchildren have grandchildren and not be able to mash them. Just add boiling water to your raw potatoes with a little salt and seal jars with canning lids and pressure can them. Do not remember how long or number of pounds pressure . (08/15/2008)

By hockey0300

Storing Potatoes

I have a neighbor who digs his potatoes and puts the smaller ones on a cookie sheet and puts them in the freezer. When they are frozen he bags them, enough for one meal. you put them into boiling water right from the freezer. They taste just as good as fresh from the garden.

My grandma told me stories of how they used to dig potatoes out of the frozen ground when she was a kid. Cooked right away in boiling water they were good to eat. I guess you can freeze them in the freezer just the same, make sure they are dry and clean when you put them in.

But potatoes store well all winter if you store in a dry cool place. (08/16/2008)

By Cariboo Lady.

Storing Potatoes

Storing potatoes is fairly easy and I learned from an old -timer who was raised in the potato growing region of Michigan. He would store the spuds in an galvanized wash tub spacing and layering them without touching in sand. I remember eating the spuds as late as April or may and were just as tasty as fresh. Very little shrivel and no sprout. They were stored in a Michigan basement cool and damp. The tubs were were kept off the floor with two inch boards. As always periodically check the stored spuds for infiltration of fungus or rot and discard. This man was my grandfather born in 1909 and this was a matter of survival for him and others who lived the "lean times" of the depression. Also start with a good potato for storage as some are not as hardy. I store Kennebeck. Good luck and hope this works for ya'll (08/19/2008)

By David

otatoes should be stored in cool, dark place with at about 40F. If potatoes get too warm, they will sprout and if they get too cold, they will get sweet.