Making Nylon Butterflies

Category Decorations

Nylon butterflies are a pretty craft project to make and put in your flower pots or for other decorative uses. This is a guide about making nylon butterflies.

I have been having such a difficult time trying to find out if there are any books to buy that explain how to create the nylon butterflies, flowers and dragonflies? I was mainly searching for the type of nylon fabric I would need to purchase in order to create the nylon butterflies. I have tried everything and have been unsuccessful. I went to craft stores, book stores and even onto the internet. Nothing at all!

I called several web-sites that had the butterflies on them but they didn't know either. I was referred to you from BUGS-N-BLOOM. I pray that you can help me or know anyone that can. I would appreciate and information that will help me to finally find what I have been looking for. Thank you so much.

Patricia

Answers

I searched high and low also to try and find any book or craft store that might be able to help me with some information on how to make nylon butterflies, and just couldn't get any answers. I went on line one day and decided to go to goggle.com and then entered HOW TO MAKE FAIRY WINGS, all of a sudden a whole bunch of different sites appeared. Some have actual step by step videos of how to make fairy wings and some just give you written instruction instead. The same way the fairy wings are made can also be applied to the way you make your butterfly wings too.

I was very satisfied with the information each different site had available. I still haven't been able to find any books on the nylon butterflies, but I'm sure there are plenty that explain how to make fairy wings? I believe the "how to make fairy wings" sites are worth looking into.

Here are directions that I found on-line on making nylon butterflies. To create your own butterflies, all you will need is knee high nylon stockings and some wire. The size of wire and nylon will depend on the size you choose to create. The knee high nylons are very cheap and come in a variety of different colors. You can find a picture of a butterfly and enlarge it on any copy machine and follow your wire to the outline of your picture and be sure that it is strong enough to maintain its shape. Pull the nylon stocking over the wire shape. When you have completed this step, you can either sew, glue or tie your nylon ends.

You can create the butterfly body by using a pipe cleaner or some colorful beads that you will connect to any wire. If you take a thin piece of wire and fold it in half and make a dot of glue on the folded part with a glue gun, you can add several colored beads and when you are finished doing that, add another dot of glue and this will keep the beads from sliding off the wire. Take the remaining two wire ends and bend them in the shape of antennas and glue a tiny pearl or bead at each edge to finish your butterfly creation. I hope this helps, Jackie

Does anyone know how to make the little butterflies that are in flower pots for decorations? They are made of nylons and beads and also there are ones that made of feathers. Thank you for the help.

By Diane from Shelton, WA

Answers

I made the outline shapes with craft wire then sewed coloured or pale tights on to the wire. You can also colour the tights with nail varnish to give good markings.

I am looking for instructions for making a butterfly from nylon. These are the ones you see that have a wire frame and the nylon is painted.

Thank you,
Judy Gail from Phoenix.

Answers

Use an old wire coat hanger to make the shape of a butterfly.

Stretch old nylon stockings around the butterfly frame and fix in place with strong glue, or with staples or elastic bands (depending what you have in the house!) then paint! (Fabric paint might work best - or perhaps slickwriters - although I'm not sure what they'd be called in the states - glue and paint combined)

You can make angel wings using the same technique, but add shoulder straps like a back pack!

Hope this helps!

Julie (Near London, England)

Where can I purchase wire or metal molds to make butterflies out of nylons or other fabrics?

Bonnie from Lompoc

Answers:

Making Nylon Butterflies

I've seen wings where they've stretched white nylons over bent wire, then around the edges of the wire to reinforce, they've squirt out that glitter-paint that comes in a squirt bottle (88 cents at Walmart) kind of like "puff-paint" but without the puff. This acrylic paint adds strength plus you can even use glow in the dark paint. You can buy the wire to make butterflies at any craft store in the "floral supply" area. They also have a wonderful spray paint that's made to "spray-dye" fabric. It looks like it's been "airbrushed".

Here are some sites I found:

*Picture is from "How to make Fairy Wings" above: (01/18/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Making Nylon Butterflies

Making Nylon Butterflies

Just attach to metal coat hangers together and put nylon over the metal and attach the handles together with bread twisty ties and you have wings you can mold any way you like. You can use safety pins to pin them to a costume. (01/22/2008)

By crazylady4christ2007

Making Nylon Butterflies

I bought a bag of white floral wire. I have made several big and small butterflies. I plan to hot glue beads along the wire and make a body out of gemstones and antennae out of the beads that you put on corsages. I got the floral wire from Hobby Lobby for a $1.99 (07/03/2008)

By Julia

RE: Making Nylon Butterflies

I am planning a wedding and want to accent everything with Nylon Butterflies. How do you make them?

Sara from Antekope, CA

Answers:

Nylon Butterflies

Hello

I just found this site that has some great wedding butterfly decor including nylon butterflies and thought you may be interested. They have a large variety and also gives you instructions on how to make them look good (how to bring to life)

www.bugs-n-blooms.com

Hope this helps, happy wedding planning

Samantha (09/22/2006)

By Samantha

Nylon Butterflies

Hi. I found a site that sells them wholesale for weddings!
http://www.thebutterflygrove.com (12/23/2007)

By Chris

Nylon Butterflies

http://www.thebutterfygrove.com (12/23/2007)

By chrisbb

I'm getting married Sept 9, 2006 - The theme is butterflies. I would like to decorate the hall with those colored nylon and wire butterflies, and would like to make them myself. Does anyone have directions, or a site that I can go to for more info?

Thanks,
Lori from Iowa

Answers:

Nylon Butterfly

Go to a website called orientaltrading.com and search under nylon butterflies, they have kits for sale. (01/09/2005)

By Mimi

Nylon Butterflies

Have you tried website www.orientaltrading.com
My husband and I have a bridal boutique and I used them in our window display. set of 3 (14"-22") and smaller sizes available. Great prices.
Congratulations! (02/10/2006)

By corinne

Nylon Butterflies

I know that Oriental Trading has them, I have seen them on there, but I'd like to know how to make them too.(03/17/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Nylon Butterflies

I too am having Butterflies as my wedding theme and have found 12in nylon butterflies like the ones you are describing at a florist warehouse. They sell loads of bits and pieces that are used in the highstreet florist shops. Cost was about $2.50 US dollars each colours varied. Maybe you could see if you have a similar warehouse/ distributer near you, you may have to tell them you are a florist to get in. Hope this helps somewhat. If not I may be able to get some extra ones. Let me know. Samx (04/03/2006)

By Sam

Nylon Butterflies

Try this. It says for fairy wings but why not adapt it to make butterfly wings. I found the site for this by typing in homemade fairy wings. I seen this done on a craft show and they were great.

Make Your Own Fairy Wings!

With a few basic supplies and your own creative spirit, you can make your own fairy wings to wear to the May Day Festival... or just to flit around town! Follow the instructions below, or, just wing it. Remember: keep your wings on the small side to avoid snagging yourself on thistles (and other fairies), and make them nice & light so you don't get a wingache. Take it easy on the fairy dust. And be careful if you fly by night!

Supplies You'll Need:

16-gauge galvanized steel wire (14 gauge for 'high-tension' wings) -- between 6 and 9 feet long, depending on size of fairy
wire clippers/pliers
duct tape
1 pair queen-size pantyhose in any color (sheer and/or iridescent look really cool)
Note: Make sure the hose you are using are very stretchy. Don't use support hose!
Safety pins
Needle and thread to match pantyhose
Scissors (sharp enough to cut pantyhose)
Magic markers in fairylike colors
Things to decorate your wings! Glitter, feathers, flowers, fluff, lace, foil, beads, fringe, pipe cleaners, small animals...

1. Make an armature for your wings.
Shape the length of wire into a figure 8, checking as you go to make sure the wings are the size you want and that both sides of the figure 8 are equal in size. Wrap a short (3") length of duct tape around the center join of the figure 8 to fix it firmly in place. If any wire ends are sticking out, trim them with the wire clippers, and cover the ends of the wire with duct tape so they don't poke you in the back. Test the armature by tugging on it firmly; add more duct tape if needed.

2. Stretch the pantyhose over the armature and shape your wings.
Take the scissors and cut the pantyhose into three pieces: two legs and one "panty." Set the panty aside; it will become your wing halter. Now stretch one pantyhose leg over each side of your figure-8 armature. Pull it taut, but not so tight that it distorts the wings. Use safety pins to hold the pantyhose legs in place at the base of the wings, and shape your wings by bending the wire. Adjust the tension of the pantyhose as needed. When you've got the shape you want, sew the pantyhose in place at the base of the wings, and then trim off the excess hose (you can use it for additional decoration or to extend your halter ties, if needed).

3. Decorate your wings!
Using magic markers, draw in the basic lines of your wing design. Color your wings according to your fancy, or if you want, you can look through field guides of moths and butterflies to find a pattern you like. Embellish your wings with glitter, feathers, beads... whatever you desire!

4. Create a wing "halter" or ties.
Take the leftover panty, and cut out the crotch area (this will become the neck hole). You now have what looks like a very small tank top

A. For small children, this halter can simply be pulled over the head; larger folks will need to enlarge the holes and/or cut open the front of the halter

B. Some fairies prefer to do away with the halter altogether and instead use long ties that they wrap around their shoulders and torso

C. You can also use a double loop of elastic, one loop per shoulder.

5. Attach your wings to the halter (or ties).
Using needle and thread, securely attach your wings to the halter or ties. Now for the fun part -- try them on! Use a hand mirror in front of a bigger mirror to see if the wings are sitting even on your shoulders (or ask a friend to check for you). If necessary, use needle & thread to adjust the wing placement, or adjust the ties until the wings are as straight as you want them.

6. Wear your wings to the May Day Festival!
You may, of course, want to wear them at other times: to parties, friends' houses, job interviews, even the supermarket. You can also make fairy antennae to complement your wings--why not!

(Sad-but-true disclaimer: fairy wings do not enable the wearer to actually fly, at least as such action is defined within the realm of Newtonian physics. Flights of fancy are excepted from this disclaimer whether they adhere to Newtonian or quantum physics but we eschew any and all responsibility for any physical consequences of such flights--or physick required to remedy said consequences.)

Wing design ©1997 by Amy Grisham. Used with permission!
Thank you Amy!

Drawings © Amanda Sanow.
All rights reserved.

butterflies. Lola (05/12/2006)

By Lola