Stone Coasters

Do absorbent stone coasters really absorb all that much condensation? I have some cheap rubber coasters from Target with a raised rim that catches the water (I really like them), but when I pick up the glass of iced tea, it drips on days when we have certain weather. I have to be extra careful not to drip on my textbooks.

I need to be concentrating on my studies rather than on my dripping glass! I was thinking of buying the flat stone coasters and placing one inside of the rubber coaster with the rim. What do you think?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Yes, they absolutely work and work well.

I have also used 4" marble tiles (real tumbled, uncoated marble) as coasters with adequate absorbency, albeit not quite as absorbent - but they look cool.

another thing you can do is put your glass in a sock. It sounds silly, but it absorbs the condensated water AND helps keep the contents cold a little longer... no more dripping glass!

I have the thirsty stone coasters. Cost about 20 dollars for 4. They do seem to work for a while but mine seem to need replaced. They do scrub up well though. Good value for the money. I think I have had mine for about 4 years.

We reuse the styrofoam cups from Dunk n Donuts. The medium size is great for putting your glass in. No more condensation and it keeps your drinks cold.

I have two sets of this type of stone coasters and they work great and I am glad someone says they can be scrubbed because we always use them for sodas or ice tea and they are dirty. They will crack if thrown by grandkids however. Your glasses do not drip when picked up.

At work, they have stone coasters that are decorated with what looks like a thickly painted decal. Sounds cheap, but these are very expensive. I noticed yesterday that the decal is beginning to bubble up in the center on one of them (as if it were sliding). These are coasters that have a lot of heavy use probably some 5 days per week all year long.

I noticed a year ago that Wal-Mart had some stone coasters that are unpainted (but still cork backed) - possibly this is the way to go.