Avoid Using Liquid Detergent in Dishwasher

To keep your dishwasher in good working condition, stay away from gel type detergent. The repairman explained to me that it can cause the floater to get clogged and then the water to the washer cuts off. All he did was fiddle with the floater, (usually in a corner of the machine. In my washer, it was in the same corner as the detergent cups. Eventually, I could hear a little click when the floater was moved up and down. So, if your dishwasher fails to fill up, try this little maneuver - it could save you a repair bill. Bottom line - use powdered detergent!

By Cindyloo from Westchester, NY

I've always used powdered detergent in my dishwasher. I wondered about switching to liquid, so I greatly appreciate your household tip.

I prefer liquid dishwasher detergent to powder. I think powder etches the glasses. I add Pink Solution (Heavy Mix, www.Pinksolution.ca) to my dishwashers soap dispensers. The trick to using liquid or powder is to make sure that your water is hot enough to dissolve the soap. I run my kitchen tap (into the sink for my hand washables) until it comes out hot then I know that the water going into the dishwasher is hot as well. The float should never gum up. You are possibly also using too much dishwasher detergent. A water softener is also beneficial. Also, never prefill your soap dispensers until you are ready to start the cycle as this may cause it to thicken causing the gumming problem. With Pink Solution, it does not require as much detergent. I also use air dry and my dishes come out sparkling!

I add a little vinegar or bleach to each load for this reason--helps to cut down on the buildup AND it helps to disenfect any germs that the heat and soap may of not gotten during flu and cold season.