AdviceDecorating

Decorating Apartment Walls Without Painting

I live in an apartment where I am not allowed to paint or wallpaper or do anything that will remove the paint from the walls. I need some ideas on how to do this.

I would love to get some peel and stick decals that would not harm paint, but do not know where to get them.

Your ideas will be greatly appreciated!

By Cheryl D.

Best Answer

I have lived in rentals off and on since 1964 and consistantly since 1983, and I just hang pictures, etc. on the walls. That is about all you can do. Check with your landlord, and see if he/she would allow you to paint, as long as when you move, you restore the walls to the origional color.

Some places will allow you to do that. The apartment complex that I live in has started painting one wall in the living room an accent color, when a tenant moves out. I have heard that if a tenant asks to have it done, they will do it when we are still living in the apt. I have debated doing that, but decided I don't want the hassle of moving my furniture.

I have got to the point that as long as I live in rentals, I don't care what visitors think, because there is no way I can have things go with the carpeting that is furnished or whatever is furnished with the apartment. Economically, and for ease, wall hangings are about all you can do.

Best Answer

You can also get self adhesive wall paper that peels right off. I used to have a neighbor in the complex where I currently live that was always changing the border in her various rooms.

Best Answer

You can go to Whatisblik dot com. They have very cool wall decals.

Here is a neat idea I saw on Pinterest:

http://jensidea  -art-blocks.html

I have "wall papered" parts of my bathroom and kitchen with contact paper. When I moved, I just pulled it down. Test in a small area first, but I have never had a problem. For hanging pictures, I use command hooks by 3M. They are easy to apply, easy to remove, and don't leave holes in the walls.

If you're looking for wall decals Amazon com sells a lot of them. We bought some nursery decor for our baby from there, and they look really nice. Our walls are plain white and we're not allowed to change them either, and they were an easy way to add color.