Decorating Apartment Walls Without Painting

If you are renting, it can be challenging to put your own personality on the blank walls without forfeiting your damage deposit. This is a guide about decorating apartment walls without painting.

If you're renting an apartment and can't paint the walls the color you wish, but want to dress up your rooms, accessorize with big, colorful pictures for the walls, some snazzy throw pillows, and bold colored furniture.

Remember also, that colored lamp shades and colored light bulbs can help change the room from blah to better!

By Terri

By Washington (Guest Post)
Top Comment

A great way to liven up boring white walls is to hang a quilt or make a fabric wallhaning. It can be very simple--just rows of different colors or prints, whatever. I made a beach scene, using different beiges for dry and wet sand, different blues for the sea, and a cloud print. Those were sewn in rows, but cut with curves to represent the water coming onto the sand, etc. It was really very simple, and a striking wall solution.

I live in an apartment where I am not allowed to paint or wallpaper or do anything that will remove the paint from the walls. I need some ideas on how to do this.

I would love to get some peel and stick decals that would not harm paint, but do not know where to get them.

Your ideas will be greatly appreciated!

By Cheryl D.

Answers

Best Answer

I have lived in rentals off and on since 1964 and consistantly since 1983, and I just hang pictures, etc. on the walls. That is about all you can do. Check with your landlord, and see if he/she would allow you to paint, as long as when you move, you restore the walls to the origional color.

Some places will allow you to do that. The apartment complex that I live in has started painting one wall in the living room an accent color, when a tenant moves out. I have heard that if a tenant asks to have it done, they will do it when we are still living in the apt. I have debated doing that, but decided I don't want the hassle of moving my furniture.

I have got to the point that as long as I live in rentals, I don't care what visitors think, because there is no way I can have things go with the carpeting that is furnished or whatever is furnished with the apartment. Economically, and for ease, wall hangings are about all you can do.

Best Answer

You can also get self adhesive wall paper that peels right off. I used to have a neighbor in the complex where I currently live that was always changing the border in her various rooms.

Best Answer

You can go to Whatisblik dot com. They have very cool wall decals.

I finally have my own apartment and have no idea what to do with it. It's a 2 bedroom, small kitchen, and big living/dining room. I can't paint the walls that are white/beige, there's laminate wood flooring all around the apartment. The living room has big windows and a glass door that opens up to a balcony.

I know I should start by picking a color scheme, but am having trouble when I like neutral colors and my bathroom is pink. Kinda stuck, I don't know how to incorporate pink into a color scheme. I don't want to repeat that color anywhere else in my apartment (I hate pink with a passion). Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

By Ericka

Answers

Best Answer

The bathroom doesn't have to match any other part of the house. Mint green is a color that goes nicely with pink as well, if you don't like the other ideas people have suggested.

For the rest of the house, the place to start is with the color of your sofa. This is the biggest piece of furniture. Since this is so neutral a place, you can go with anything you like.

Choose drapes or blinds and perhaps a throw rug to co-ordinate with the sofa.

I do not believe that artwork should "match " the furniture. You should choose artwork that you love, preferably original work, but prints are nice if that is what you can afford.

Look in decorator magazines and at the displays in furniture and decorating stores for ideas.

Best Answer

Throw rugs, art work and drapes can add color, but I would suggest a neutral for the sofa as that can be moved from apartment to apartment. Actually, you can throw a large table cloth or even a length of material over it for color. I use a old linen table cloth on my mine during the summer for a cooler look.

If you like small items, an open shelving unit against a wall can add color. Also consider end tables, shelves, etc. that you can paint and repaint when you move. This should be fun for you and suit you, not anyone else. Enjoy your new home.