Selling a Car to a Private Party

If you sell a car to a private party, make sure to transfer the title. If you don't do this, and the car ends up on the side of the road or in a ditch, you will have to pay for any fines or impound feeds associated with the vehicle. It doesn't matter if the car doesn't run, or is older than the hills, always transfer the title and file the proper paperwork with the state.

By Fisher

Whenever we've sold cars, we always remove the license plates. The new owner may ask to transfer the plates but we always so no. If I no longer own the car I don't want anything with my name still associated with the vehicle. They could get a ticket, rob a bank, who knows what and when the cops run the plates my name would appear. No thanks!

YOU CAN'T FORCE SOMEONE TO TRANSFER THE TITLE YOU CAN ONLY HOPE AND PRAY THEY ARE HONEST AND DO IT.WE SOLD A CAR ONCE THAT THE PEOPLE DROVE FOR 2 MONTHS THEN ABANDONED IT THE CITY SENT US A LETTER FOR IMPOUND FEES WE TOLD THEM IT HAD BEEN SOLD AND TO WHOM AND WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FEES. AFTER THAT IF WE SOLD A CAR THEY HAD TO SIGN A PAPER WITH THE VIN # THEIR ADDRESS,PHONE AND DATE IT WAS SOLD AND FOR HOW MUCH. NO THIS STILL DOESN'T MEAN THEY WOULD LIE ABOUT THE INFO THE FILLED IN ON OUR PAPER WORK..

Editor's Note: We have 2 parts to our car titles in Washington State, one part is turned in by the seller giving the same information as the buyer gives to transfer the title. This alleviates the problem of someone not transferring the title and also accesses a fine on either the buyer or seller if they don't follow through. You might check to see if something like this is being considered for your state.

another little hint when you sell a vehicle to a private party, ask for a bank voucher money order, OR cash. on the back of your title where you put in the selling price also write in.."AS IS" that way there can be no hassels if something brakes down later down the road. Happy Selling !

When I sell a car to a private party I make them sign an AS IS form. That is the only thing that will hold up in court. We had someone purchase a car from us and he tried to take us to court when it broke down three months later. He actually called for us to come tow him!! You have to watch your back at all times.

Last year I sold an old Honda. The car dealership where I purchased a newer Honda only offered me $250. I listed the car on Craigslist.com and buyers were clamoring after it. I sold it for several thousand dollars.