Determining a Reasonable Cleaning Rate

How much would I charge to clean a one bedroom apartment, bi-weekly? It is about 1500 square feet.

By Robin from Moline, IL

I am in California. I have a cleaning business. Don't let anyone make you feel as if you don't deserve to be paid what you are worth. Cleaning homes is hard work. If a client doesn't respect and appreciate you, you don't want them. I am not sure what type of cleaning you are providing but a one bedroom apt 1500 sq ft is pretty big! Again I don't know what is included your bi weekly service but I would say a ball park figure if you are a sole prop. $85.00

You are getting a lot of advice but here is some more. Unless you itemize the tasks you will be doing, you are in danger of the lady of the house tacking on more and more work when you are there. List the chores you will do then charge by the hour. Vacuum the whole house, change the beds, mop the floors and empty waste baskets, and clean the bathrooms is a start. Make it clear that you will work quickly and thoughly for your hourly rate which where I live is from 13 to 15 dollars an hour. She may want you for only a certain number of hours a day. Have her list the chores in order of priority.

I started cleaning houses about 15 years ago.I love it! I have a great clientel.I have got all of my clients through their referrals.

I can usually tell from my first "walkthrough", about how long it will take me to clean it.Since I do a very thorough job,each time,I have learned to double my usual rate on "first time" cleaning.This prevents a potential client from taking advantage of me working as hard as I do to get "everything" spotless,the first time that I clean their home.I usually go far beyond the "normal" cleaners in this area.I am not a hit or miss cleaner.I do not waste my time or theirs.With that being said,I have only lost two of my clients since I started,and that was from their dieing.

Mentally,I figure $30 per hour and that is what I base my price on.I do not tell them this.It sounds better to just give them an actual price.I also supply my own supplies,that way,I know that I will have what I need and it is not as expensive as you would think.I buy most of mine when certain stores put them on special,'Buy 1 Get 1 Free.I stock up on name brands only.Plus,if you have coupons,it is even better.

I know that some area's charge more than others,that is true ,but if you give the customer the service that they expect,you will not need to look for clients,they will find you!

My best wishes go with you and may you be as blessed as I have been!

You might approach a commercial cleaning company about supplies. Some of them sell the supplies they buy bulk to other businesses.

Photo of cleaning supplies.
Determining a Reasonable Cleaning Rate
Business and Legal BusinessMarch 15, 2011
Shoes at a Thrift Stores
Buying Shoes at Thrift Stores
Baby Videos
Funny Baby Videos
A professional cleaner with his cleaning supplies.
Setting Rates for Cleaning Services
Cottage Cheese
Freezing Cottage Cheese