Determining a Reasonable Cleaning Rate

Category Business
An important decision you will have to make when starting your own cleaning business is setting a cleaning rate. This is a guide about determining a reasonable cleaning rate.

What is the going rate to do a complete cleanup for a restaurant that hasn't had a cleaning service in 2 years? I need to get cleaning back up to cleaning standards. It's 10,400 sq ft.

Answers

Best Answer

Not clear on what you mean by "cleaning standards"? I worked in restaurants as server and manager for 6 years getting through college so have some knowledge of restaurant quality standards.

Ouestions:
Are you experienced in cleaning restaurants?
Has this restaurant received a low hygiene rating by the city and requires specific cleaning?
What has the owner requested for the cleaning? Has the owner provided any information or direction from the city re problems?
Exactly what needs cleaning? If cleaning includes the kitchen, prep areas, dry and cold storage, customer area, etc., this is a tall order. If you will not be cleaning the kitchen, prep, etc. areas, less of a problem.

These questions and more must be considered to even begin to tally a cleaning price for this project. If the owner is not completely open about what they want and why, be careful!

One caveat here-If the owner is required by the city to bring the restaurant up to a required cleanliness level, you as the cleaning company are responsible to meet that quality level. If you clean the place and do not meet city requirements, you may be barred from future cleaning possibilities.

No thorough cleaning in 2 years-why? Does the owner have financial problems now or in the past?

So I decluttered, cleaned, and organized a customer's home while she has been out of town. Since she has been gone I have done 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2 closets, one of the closets was as big a room pretty much. And I've been doing loads and loads of laundry. I've spent altogether about 16 hours there.

She will be returning tomorrow and told me to tell her how much and she will write me a check. How much should I ask for? I don't know if I should charge by the hour, the room, or what. I have also been taking care of her 3 cats, guinea pig, and bird. I cleaned out the bird cage as well. I'm not a "professional", but I have done a great job because I am great at and love organizing and cleaning. Any comments or advice would be so great! I've included before and after pictures of some of the work. I live in Braselton, GA. It's about an hour from Atlanta. Thanks!

Answers

Wow! I cannot answer your question about what you should charge, however, you may have a huge problem regarding payment. It does not matter if you are or are not a "professional" organizer (or in any field), you should have set all payment requirements BEFORE ever providing any service. I would not be at all surprised if your client refuses to pay what you ask now and finds fault with most of your work to avoid paying.

BEFORE any job or service, even if your client is a relative, friend, etc., you should protect yourself:
*Deciding on a fee-per hour, service type, etc.
*Complete a thorough and detailed "walk-thru" to see EXACTLY WHAT YOUR CLIENT EXPECTS AND DEMANDS.
*Develop a fee contract covering what your client expects re service (as thorough as possible) and exactly what you expect to complete for the job.

Your client and you must sign any contract before service.
*State in the contract exactly what you will do if you find "other work" in your service that your client and you have NOT agreed to-such as: extra work you had not anticipated or more than expected work (tons of laundry, more than agreed cleaning, etc.). Will you simply list the problems and not complete them or contact your client re what she/he wants you to do, etc.?
*
This list is only the basics in deciding service and fees but is crucial if you want to be paid for what you will do.

Always Remember-
Work for free or work for full price; never work for nothing!

Anonymous

Maybe $150.00 I am not sure you have to decide this one ..good luck ..

I was asked to wash the floors in three bedrooms on my hands and knees. The owner of the house does not want me to use a mop. How much should I charge? Per room, per hour for such hard work? Any advice is welcome.

Answers

If it were me, I would not get on my knees for anybody and I cleaned houses for 22 years.. Triple what you would normally charge for that house.

I'd say $30 - $35 an hour would be fair. If the floors are truly grimy, it'll take a longer of course and if you haven't seen the place the last thing you want to do is give a flat quote.

I hope you have not yet completed the work!!! Do not start until the owner has agreed to the price-in writing. Really ridiculous demand-hand scrubbing floors went out with the mop!!!

thank you for mentioning an actual number. I wasn't sure if I should charge by the hour or by the job.

Thank you for responding. I haven't completed the work yet and I am having lots of second thoughts about agreeing to do it in the first place. The lady seems to be very rigid in her requests and expectations.

All the posters have excellent advice. See the place first, get the agreement in writing, and certainly charge by the hour. If the lady is too hard to deal with, she may be one of those people who will find fault with the job and refuse to pay. I'd be wary.

I recently quoted a potential client 125.00 for a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 3200 sq foot home. She was quick to tell me she had someone clean for considerably less. She also has 3 children, a pet rabbit, and a dog inside. Help?

By Carol R

Answers

$125 is a really good price to clean up after this lot! She's trying to intimidate you before you've even broken out the broom. She's clearly going to be a real problem client.

The money she is willing to pay is not anywhere near enough to put up with this woman, her three children, and her other zoo critters! Anything under $125 is too little - bet she wants to pay $75!

Truthfully the right price for this much work (because really, with her attitude it's clear she's going to expect you to do a lot more than just clean up after her and the zoo) is $150, $200 if I'm right and it turns out she expects child-minding, and lots of other 'little things'.

And the pricing should be figured for after tax - make sure she (or anyone else) pays you enough to leave that $125-200 in your pocketbook after your paying taxes on the earning.

Then I would let her use them. Some people just want something for nothing. Pretend you are a potential client and ask around to some of the other people who clean. I bet the price is "considerably higher" than you quoted.

Some people price things by what they do. The old adage "I don't do windows" can be your starting point. Charge the same rates for similar jobs but don't assume they need every thing done. If they need a good vacuuming but don't need the bathroom clean, you can charge by the "piece" so to speak or in this case by the job.
I hope that helps.

I live in a small town. I have 1 child, five cats, two bathrooms and three bedrooms in approx 1600 sq feet. I pay $65-80 depending on how many hours it takes her. She charges a flat $12 per hour

So where is this other cleaning person now? I bet they quit. If she was satisfied with their work and their price, why is she looking elsewhere if they are still willing to work for her. She is trying to intimidate you like another responder said. Stick to your guns.

I clean in the Seattle area. I charge $30 an hour. I won't clean a house over 4000 sq ft by myself and I dont work over 5 hours a day. for me her house would be a 5 hour job. That would be $150. You are a bargain. You will end up hating this person, and wish you never went to work for her. If you really need the money you could work for her for awhile, while you find someone better to work for. Good luck to you.

I'd say, I can do a walk through or ask more questions.
Unless this person is an immaculate housekeeper, a deep first clean should cost at least two times as much.
If you do a very good deep clean, solo, this will be an 8 hour job just to get it down to a 4 hour biweekly maintainence clean.
Sounds like she can't or wont pay you for that. I find a creative way to get rid of clients like this that end up costing me money.
If people sound condescending, nasty or lowball me out of the gate I automatically price higher, because value customers are our worst nightmare. They literally end up costing me money, so I refuse to budge on their estimates.
I take a hit on that 1st deep clean and bill out on average about 20 an hour. I am aiming for 30 per billable hour so I can get a permanent, solid hire that will stay.
My money is made on maintainance cleans.
I have insurance, advertising, gas and personnel expenses to pay.

Wow, I cannot believe how underpaid cleaning people are. 15 years ago my daughter had a cleaning business with a waiting list. She hired other people butoften had to clean behind them because they didn't meet her standards. Her rate, once your house was brought up to snuff was $ 25/hr and again, this was 15 years ago. If houses were not kept to a certain level of cleanliness, she fired the client and would move on to the top person on her waiting list. She helped people organize those boxes not opened for years, but that was pricey and required a stiff down payment. She was even successful in putting together teams to help hoarders who were ready to accept help and at the other end, inventory, pack, and prepare for auction or beneficiary distribution the contents of homes of deceased. Then she would clean the house to a pristine state.
For the work you people do, $35/hr should be your minimum AFTER you have completed the first cleaning. My daughter was the type ofcleaner who used a toothbrush in the corner on her hands and knees if need be. She fluffed pillows, made sure the central air (and other air) filters were clean, had a green thumb, (so she could keep an eye on or maintain the indoor plants), and did not have accounts receivable. She was cash only, and never had a client that didn't tip her. She was also a philanthropist because ifshe heard of elderly or disabled in need of a cleaning, she would go and do it, take a crew if necessary to take care of yards and repais, and then hook them up with local groups or social services for ongoing care.
Unfortunately, In her teen years, a lot of our home and yard care fell to her when I sustained back injuries. I couldn't stand to see her take on so much, but she was a trooper and hardly complained. I knew it bothered her. Three months after she started her business to help with college expenses, she called me. "Mom, I am so happy I had to do all thathousework. I lesrnedso many great tricks for cleaning and learned how to make a home spotless, that I am getting lots of referrals. And thanks for teaching me how to vacuum myself out of a room. People really like the design and the fact there's no footprints. I received a couple big tips just for that. Can you believe it? For vacuuming a certain way?"
ALL OF YOU CLEANING PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO LEARN HOW TO ESTIMATE SQUARE FOOTAGE AND HAVE A RATE FOR IT. Use that for your initial clean. Get to know specialists like window wahers, carpet cleaners, tree trimmers, gardeners .... people that you can all get together and refer each other for jobs.
AND WHENEVER SOMEONE SAYS that they have someone who can do the job for less money.... simply thank them for their time and the opportunity to bid on their job and LEAVE..
IF THEY CALL YOU AGAIN, go out and do a NEW BID with a NEW HOURLY RATE INCREASED BY $5. If they question, PROFESSIONALLY let them know you have had a rate increase since you last met...even if it's the next day.... you may have reviewed your books last night.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. So often, you do a thankless job, cleaning up after others. Hopefully if you do feel that way about a client, you dismiss them. It's not worth the stress and there are lots of individuals and companies who need you.

How much do I charge for a 1,600 square foot final construction cleaning? It has 2 restrooms, a kitchen, and will need front door glass cleaning. There will be 3 people working.

What do I charge to clean bathrooms and baseboards? I am in Arizona.

I work for a lady who is legally blind. I take her to do errands, cook occasionally, watch her 4 year old at the park /pool, and once a week I do the family laundry and clean the house. Daily I clean the kitchen and pick up the living room. I am paid $9.00 plus $25 a week in gas. Is that the going rate?

What should I charge, for a three bedroom, two bathroom home? He only wants it one time and this is what I'm to clean; deep clean 1 bathroom, baseboards, window seals, deep clean laundry room, deep clean kitchen and mop.

What should I charge for cleaning homes and add ons such as laundry and cleaning appliances like the stove and refrigerator?

I started my cleaning business back up after years and years. I just did a walk through a beautiful huge house all floors are wood and ceramic. They need to be washed on hands and knees. There are four bathrooms, four bedrooms, and a huge kitchen, etc. The house is 3998 square foot.

What should I charge? My other homes I do for $25 an hour, but I need to take into consideration travel time 30 minutes, gas, and being on my hands and knees for at least 3-4 hours, plus all the other cleaning.

I really want this job; they are great people. They want to decide on biweekly or monthly depending on price! Help please.

I'm doing a one time clean on a 2800 sq.ft. home. It has 4 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths. The home was just recently completely remodeled so it will require everything to be cleaned including baseboards, windows, cabinets, etc. I would like some feed back on what others charge for a onetime clean. I don't want to bid too high or too low.

I am bidding on a 3000 sq ft home. I am doing additional work, doing all woodwork including 19 doors, frames, and baseboards, 26 windows 13 inside/out, 26 blinds that are dark wood, an oven, 10 lights, all the flooring, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, entrances outside, and back porch. I just wanted a suggestion on what to charge for additional work. Thank you.

I do contracting work for a real estate agency cleaning vacant houses and apts. I am now wanting to start my own business doing the same thing. However, I do not know how I should charge. I live in Pueblo, Colorado. I have been charging basically by the number of rooms at $20-25 a room, plus extra for appliances $25-$30. I don't know if I am under pricing. Every time I call Merry Maids they seem to be charging up to $100 more. Can you help please?

I'm currently in startup mode of a cleaning service in Dade/Broward counties. Should I charge hourly, being that I'm in a high cost area?

I have an idea of what I want to earn for an 8-10 hour day cleaning empty apartments and newly built homes in the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina. I realize that some of these spaces might be more than a day's work to complete, so I believe I need to set a per sq ft cost. However, I have no idea what the current rate is for this type of service in my area here in South Carolina. Can you provide me with the going rate that most cleaning services charge here, so that I can be certain to set a competitive sq ft price? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Answers

You should check online and local newspapers to see what other services are charging. My experience (inNew York) has been that they charge an hourly rate.

Here is my issue, I have been working at a resort cleaning cabins for a year now. I have been getting paid a salary of 686.62 for this year and now they want to change it up and pay me by the cabin. They want me to come up with reasonable prices and I have no idea what to charge. The cabins range from one bedroom, one bath to three bedroom and two baths. There are 14 cabins which are rented out frequently. Any ideas what I should charge?

What is a good rate for cleaning 1600 square feet, including 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 office, living room, den, kitchen, and laundry room? It is medium dirty off hand before doing a walk thru.

What would I charge to clean a senior citizen high-rise (11 floors) that is 176,580 sqft? I will be doing apartment clean outs (about 250 sqft per apartment, 1 bdrm) and doing common areas which consist of four offices, three restrooms, mailbox center, two multipurpose rooms, a computer room, stairways (monthly), two lobbies (cleaning door glass on each), a copy room, a TV room, a kitchen area, and a conference room. The common areas will need to be cleaned five days a week, which consists of dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, emptying trash, cleaning window sills and baseboards. All 11 floors hallways have to be swept and mopped everyday. The clean outs will be done when needed.

Answers

Your location would help to suggest a cleaning fee. However, I hope that you plan to "seal the deal" with a formal written contract stating all agreements between the parties before starting the job. Also consider the services of an attorney to help you in negotiations and contract.

I packed, organized, and cleaned a 4000 sq foot home, what should I charge? I worked more than 75 hours. I worked with very little help. It took 4 weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

I can't provide a fee amount as you did not provide your location, however, I offer this advice-it will seem just more work, however, I guarantee that it will enhance your professional reputation and business.

I caution you not to set any fee until you have considered these basics. BEFORE any job or service, even if your client is a relative, friend, etc., you should protect yourself:
*Decide on a fee-per hour, service type, etc.
*Develop a cleaning, etc., fee contract covering what your client expects re service (as thorough as possible) and exactly what you expect to do to complete the job. Your client and you must sign any contract before service. You can find printable simple contracts online and in Microsoft Word.
*This list is only the basics in deciding service and fees but is crucial if you want to be paid for what you will do.
Always Remember-
Work for free or work for full price; never work for nothing

I charge a minimum rate of $20 per hour unless it is extremely dirty,then it goes up to $30.I live in the south.

I have a request to do a cleaning of a repast (dinner after the funeral). It includes vacuum, cleaning dishes, and removal of trash. I am unsure what to charge for something like this. Please assist.

By LK

Answers

Just charge 10.00 an hour if this is the going rate for minimum wage in your state. It sounds like an easy job so you don't have to worry about heaving lifting or dirty cleaning. Hope that helps. PBP

I agree with Poor But Proud. Try and find out what the going rate is in your area for house cleaners. Charge that rate for each hour you work. It is nearly impossible to determine in advance what you would need to charge.

How much should I charge for a weekly cleaning of a 2000 - 2500 square foot, 3 bedroom and 3 bath home? She would also like her windows cleaned and her oven and refrigerator cleaned. Thanks for your help.

By Nan

Answers

It depends on where you are and how much competition there is in your area. I would think that $125 is the minimum per week but $185 might be more realistic. I pay $90 for my (daughter's) 1 BR apartment once per month and $175 for my house. I have 6 BR, 3.5 bath but only ask for two bedrooms, kitchen and den to be done every month.
Good luck. Wish you were near me since the people that clean my house do a barely adequate job. They certainly do NOT do windows.

Depends if it's weekly or biweekly $140 is what I charge. Windows are an extra charge.

How much do I charge for the 1st cleaning of a very dirty, very cluttered 1 bedroom apartment? This is for a good male friend of mine. He has asked me to help him. He wants to straighten his place up. It's a total wreck, everything, every room. There are clothes everywhere, scrap electric things, junk kitchen a total mess, bathroom is unreal and the bedroom as well. There is no organization at all, not one room. It will take probably 2 or 3 days at 8 hrs a day, maybe more. Help me!

By Lucy from Elizabethtown, KY

Answers

Are you truly helping him clean or will you be doing all the work yourself? If he is helping, too, I would probably charge around $50 a day. If you're doing it all by yourself, I would charge at least $75 per day. Maybe more, depending on the amount of work involved.

I would search cleaning services to find out what they would charge and share that info with your friend. Then tell him what you will charge (maybe half?). Remember to wear gloves and a face mask in case you uncover "surprises" such as mold, insects, etc. Good luck!

I live in Pueblo, Colorado. I clean vacant houses and apartments. I am not sure what to charge. Right now I only get paid $10 an hour and it is a lot of work for that amount. I have a house I need to bid on which is 3,201 sq. ft. It is a vacant house which they need cleaned to put on the market for sale. I usually work alone, but if job is too large I have a couple of others who help. I don't want to cheat them either of pay. Is there a price chart I can follow?
Thanks new to all of this.

How much should one charge for house cleaning, organizing all rooms, dishes, making beds-4, and laundry at least three loads a day? Of course the organizing is once. The other things are daily. This is a job that I would be doing for a family of six, five days a week.

How much should I charge to clean the floors in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom home with living room, dining room, and kitchen? All have same type stick on tiles. I will be mopping only then a floor finish.

I am just starting my cleaning business. What would I charge for a very neat and clean basement apartment? It has a small bathroom with tub, toilet, and sink, a bedroom/living room, and very small kitchen. She wants someone bi-weekly. I live in Connecticut. It's more an efficiency apartment. TIA

Answers

There are many factors that determine how a cleaning company charges for cleaning, type-house, apartment, general or specific, move in or out, etc. You can try researching rates in your area by searching online.

If you quote 20 per hour and you have a 16 hour job. If 2 people do it in 8, is it right to still charge the 16 hour price?

Answers

If one worker cleaned for 16 hours, the charge is 16 hrs = 16 x $20 = $320.
If two workers cleaned for 8 hours, the charge is still 16 hrs or 8 hours each- 2 x 8 x $20 = $320.

Charge by the actual number of hours worked by each worker.

I received a request to clean a funeral parlor. It includes cleaning the entire place, including bathrooms, vacuuming, windows, gasing up the limos, etc. How much do you think I should charge? By the hour or a bulk rate? Is anyone doing this? If so, can you explain what you do?

Thank you.

Answers

Hi, Joy.

What do you think about going to the location and getting more information? Would the (potential) client be willing to pay by the hour for the first few times you clean? Once you have an idea of how long it will take to do the work, you can offer a monthly rate (if you like, pre-supposing they don't throw any surprises into the mix).

The house is 1250 square feet and there is no furniture or stuff in house. I live 45 minutes from the place, so that's 1 and a half hours round trip! They want light switches and everything sanitized and cleaned. I will supply all cleaning stuff, but I don't know what to charge? We live in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Answers

It is hard to know how long it will take to clean an empty house. I would allow 4 hours to clean a 1200 sq ft home that people were living in. If people were living in the empty house it would be a "move out" cleaning. You need to allow double the time for cleaning a house that is empty. That would be 8 hours. It takes a lot of time to clean where the washer and dryer were, inside the cupboards, baseboards, etc. I cleaned house for many years and that was the rule of thumb I used. Since that formula can confuse folks who don't have much exposure to housecleaning, I usually suggest I charge by the hour. Then I charge the going rate for the region. Here in Seattle it is $30 an hour. In the eastern part of our state it is $10 an hour. Hope that gives you some idea.

How much should I charge per hour for house cleaning in Montana?

By PTS

I am bonded, licensed, and insured with 2 of us cleaning. I charge $40 for an hour, including laundry. Is that a good rate?

By Linda

Answers

The rate is often determined not only by the size of the house and what the owner wants done, but also by the going rates in your area. I ran a small housecleaning service in the early 2000s near Portland, Oregon. There were two people working and our rate was $25 per hour, per person, as there are actually two man hours for every hour in the house.

If you are only asking $40 for the two of you then you might want to check around and see if $20 per hour is the going rate for a cleaning service that also does laundry. It might be a little low, depending on your area. Hope this helps.

Load More