Removing White Marks from Wood Table

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

I hope you get them removed. I used mayo for drink rings left on tables I have "picked up" so I never let that stop me from getting one in the past. If its from that this method usually works.No knowing more information about what they are from. I hope this works for you.

Mayo and ashes has been recommended a lot and does work in some cases. Check out this archive for other ideas. This is a topic that we have seen a lot on ThriftyFun.

http://www.thri … arc/000/803.html

Always best to test the solution in an inconspicuous place before attempting on area that will be seen by all.

I had/have this problem on light-colored wood. Some guests left their "sweating" drink glasses on the end table and terrible marks were left. I've tried every hint offered on ThriftyFun, but nothing has worked so far. I may just have to remove the finish from the entire table, sand it all, and then apply a new coat of stain. I was hoping to avoid this painstaking chore!

Anonymous

I am a decorative artist. I oecialize in many aspects of decorative work including furniture and cabinet refinishing and or aging,distressing ,etc. It isnt necessary to strip the whole top. Home Depot carrys a product called Restore -A-Finish. I use this product to remove white heat rings and it does wonders. In the event that you need to strip anything use a #0000 steal wool also dold at HomeDepot and ver lightly rub with the grain. Then use a tack cloth to apply the finish and you are done. It works everytime

I would like to offer a correction to the answers here. The root cause of the "cloudy" white stain on wood tables caused by hot plates is the moisture that is trapped within the varnish on the table.

This is specially for really hard old reclaimed wood tables (teak, casuani, etc). These tables are typically finished with "oil" varnish or polish and not water. Now I tried everything from hot iron to baking soda and everything else in between. The one thing that made is worse was using a steam iron. That's because with steam it caused the oil polish on the table trap more moisture and it made it worse (like others have also seen if you google). The trick is to get the moisture out. So with a water based finish using a simple iron on low heat works great. However after 4 hours I realized that for oil based polish you need a very hot iron and a kitchen towel. This is very important because unlike water polish with oil polish I realized I need to get the table extremely hot and then it "pushes" the water out of the table (yes you can see beads of it) and the towel should soak it up right away otherwise it goes back.

So to summarize for oil based finishes you need a dry iron at max temp out on a kitchen towel on the table and left there for about 20-30 seconds on each spot and then wipe off the water beads right away. Repeat until no more water comes out. This is different from water based finish. Do NOT use a steam iron on a oil based finish. Hope this helps. Thanks.

I learned from another post was to just use a blow dryer. I did and the stain came out! There were two huge ones, it took about 30 minutes with the blow dryer set on high heat. Voila! Worked like magic. This was on my coffee table which was cherry wood.

Worked on some but made others worse