Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Whether someone forgot to use a coaster or a plant got over watered, water marks on wood furniture can happen very easily. Cleaning them off is a chore, but it can be done. This is a page about removing water marks from wood furniture.

I just removed some water marks from my sister-in-law's table using Mr. Clean Erasers. I was doubtful but tried it and presto, it worked! We need to polish it yet, but it looks great.

How do I get rid of a white water mark on furniture?

By soochatty from Middletown, DE

Answers

If I'm not mistaken you can crack a walnut and rub it on the spot. The oil in the nut helps to remove the mark!

Formby's product line of furniture refinishing products sells a product called,"White Ring Remover". That is sold in any paint department that carries the Formby's product line.

You can also use some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and ashes from a cigarette or wood ashes from a fireplace. The ashes are a very,very fine abraisive and the petroleum is a wood conditioner. Put some over the ring, using your finger rub well into the ring. Let set about fifteen mins. then wipe off.
Either one will take the ring out .

Depends on what the fabric type is on your furniture.

Try a dab of Mayo, rub in with a soft cloth and buff with a dry cloth. It did a great job on my old sewing machine. GG Vi

How do I remove a dark water stain on dark wood? Toothpaste took off the finish surrounding spot. I am trying to do this quickly and quietly as I'm staying with friends.

This is her table I have damaged. Help!

How do I remove white water marks from cherry furniture?

By Beverly praszkowicz from NY

Answers

The Magic Eraser Worked! I sprayed Pledge on my 150 year old cherished handed-down oak secretary and walked away :( Huge horrific water marks occurred, went on this website went through recommendations, decided to try Magic Eraser hesitantly, since it says on label not recommended for wood, and it worked completely! What a lifesaver. Highly recommended!

I tried the mayo, and it lightened up the water marks, but they were still there. Then tried toothpaste and that helped too.

I was very nervous to try the steam iron, I reluctantly tried and the marks were gone in seconds! A miracle. I'm sooo happy.

A bit of damp laundry overnight left a horrid white mark on our gorgeous timber table, followed by a thorough blaming and sulking by dear husband. An iron over a towel fixed it in a minute. Great website, thanks!

I, too, have a cherry table that turned white as a result of a damp felt undercover that was placed on the table during a party. The great news is that with a steam iron and a white towel the moisture markings were gone!

I was very afraid to try the iron and cloth method on my dining room table but after trying everything else I decided to try it. After 5 minutes of moving the iron around the water mark was gone. Hope everyone else has the same luck as me.

How do I get an old water spot off a solid oak kitchen table (light wood)?

By Onesummer

Answers

You might want to view 'Restor-a-finish.... should be at Home Depot..

www.minksemporium.com/Demonstration.html

I just had the same problem on my teak dining table. I put olive oil on a paper towel and rubbed it in then left the towel on the spot for quite a while. It disappeared!

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I have found the best way to get rid of the white rings from heat or moisture on furniture, I have tried with no luck using Mayonnaise, cigarette ashes, toothpaste, hot iron and towels and what I have found that works is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser dampen the eraser rub gently with the grain of the wood and then polishing as usual, I happen to like Armor All as a furniture polish, if it's not a bad white mark the magic eraser will removed it completely, if it solid white you may have to do it several times It may leave a bit of a ghost but that's still better than having a big white mark.

This was not a bad 1, you can see on the right it's gone. Now that I know how to fix them nobody's making them.

I had a water mark on my dining table. I thought it would be no big deal to sand the whole finish off and stain and presto it would be beautiful, but oh was I wrong. I sanded and stained the spot and it turned much darker than the rest of the table. Then I sanded and stained again, still not fixing the problem. Then I tried bleach and sanding which then made the spot really light. I tried to make the spot bigger in hopes to blend it better and then stained again. And it is still turned much darker than the rest of the table. What is the best way to repair my table?

By Emily T

How can I remove watermarks from the polished surface of a table?

By pwreford

Answers

This sounds ridiculous but try mayo. Just rub mayo on the mark and then rub in till it's all gone. It worked for me on my cedar chest.

I have a light oak table with black water marks after a flower arrangement was placed on the table which sat there for a couple of weeks last June 2012. Also someone spilled wine or port on my table. Please help.

By Lorraine

Answers

I wish I had an answer, but I too, need help with this kind of damage.

How do I remove water stains from light colored wood?

By D from Home

Answers

I have never tried this myself but I am passing along a hint I saw from the Farmer's Almanac newsletter. It says to use mayonnaise to remove water stains from wood. Perhaps you could try a small area where it doesnt show so much?

How do I remove a water stain from my wooden dining room table?

By Linda D.

Answers

Try rubbing it with the cut edge of a walnut.

How do you remove water spots on a wood table?

By Sonny H. from Galveston, TX

Answers

Heat a dry iron, place 2 layers of a white t-shirt on top of the stain, press a few seconds, then peek under the t-shirt. Keep doing that until the stain is gone.

My grandson was wet sanding his motercycle in the garage. I had a TV cabinet stored there and he splashed sanding water on it and left white marks. How do I get them off?

By Deanna S.

I split a glass of water on a pine dresser and would like some advice as to how to remove it.

By Eileen

I have an small antique table that my mother, for years, used to keep her prized African violets on. A lot of times she would over water and the excess would lay underneath the dish that they sat on. This destroyed the finish and penetrated the wood. I had no choice, but to strip the old finish off, but now there is a large darker ring that I'm afraid I can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

By Jack

What is the iron cloth method to remove white water stains from a mahogany coffee table?

By Tricia H

I stripped the varnish and stain from the wood and I am left with a large (12 inch) water ring. How can I get the whole top to mimic the stain?

By KRC from Sheboygan, WI

This is a page about removing drink rings from wood furniture. When cups are set on wood furniture without a coaster and a ring can be left behind creating an unsightly blemish on the surface of the wood.

White rings left by drinks on a wood table.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1
Load More

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureOctober 19, 2011
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Water-Marks-from-Wood-Furniture-1.html