I Love Dandelions!

I love dandelions! They are so good for you and your liver. The leaves can be used in a salad or dried to make a tea. I love their smells and colors, they are beautiful. Feel free to print this picture and frame it for your kitchen.

Hugs!

By Kristen from Apopka, FL

hi...the flowers are good too...great in salads and a pretty edible garnish...taste kinda sweet...also can mk wine from them but i don't have a clue how...T

I too, love dandelions. My mother used to make wine. There are recipes on the net. The reasons I love them are I never have a crop failure and they are always so bright and cheery.

My Pennsylvania-Dutch gramma would pick the greens early in the spring before they got too bitter and make a hot bacon dressing for on top of them, delicious! (And 30X the vitamins of reg. lettuce)

And to think, some people spend so much money to buy poisons to kill these perky, yellow flowers!

Yes, dandelions ARE good for you! ...Back when I was a young girl in Indiana, my grandmother used to pick a huge bag of them in the early spring (when they were the most tender) then freeze them for eating later on in the year. We'd eat them as we did cooked spinach, with a bit of vinegar on top. YUM!

Later on in my life, I also tried to cook up a batch like my grandma used to do, but failed miserably! They were OH SO BITTER! ...Later on I found out that the failure was because you need to change the water 2 or 3 times during the cooking process & only pick the young blossoms & leaves. If you love cooked spinach, then you'll love cooked dandelions!

---> A WARNING: Never pick dandelions in a yard that's been sprayed in the past 3 years! ...Use only non-sprayed "organic" dandelions! ...If you're not sure if the grass has been sprayed, then don't even chance it! ...Dandelions have so many vitamins because their roots go down so far... For the same reason, they can easily pick up toxins in the earth!

Hi Kristen" My kids frequently brought home "boquets" of dandelions and I always had a jar of them on the kitchen windowsill - miss those times now they are grown and gone. Say Hi to Apopka for me. We moved from there to Michigan a couple of years ago - I miss it, but not the hot Summers.

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Don't know anything about eating them, but the picture is great!

We go all over my neighborhood picking dandelions for our tortoise. They are the most healthy thing he could eat. I wish I know how to preserve them so he would have some for the winter. When my father came from Italy, many years ago, they were poor and couldn't afford to buy much food, and he told me that they would walk for miles picking up dandelion leaves. Olive oil and garlic, a quick shake in the pan, and they would have a delicious meal.

What about Dandelion wine too?

And what about Dandelion Wine? I thought I read somewhere that they were brought here to America by the settlers and their leaves were used for salads, wine and more. Today we think they're weeds - how terrible! They are beautiful in a field or designated area in your garden.

I couldn't imagine eating anything that grows on your lawn. I live up north & have countless wildlife, as well as stray cats using my yard a their bathroom. You couldn't wash it enough to get that stuff off.

My neighbor used to make dandelion wine in the late fifties. It was so good.

As a Naturopath/Master Herbalist I was taught:

"Never underestimate the power of a weed!"

As the elders say, we have everything we need to heal ourselves within a 25 mile radius of where we live.

Recipes Using Dandelions
Recipes Using Dandelions
Photos GardenAugust 18, 2008
Boy with Fingerpaints
Edible Fingerpaints
Tandy Cakes
Tandy Cake Recipes
jar with label
Making an "I Love You Because..." Jar
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
🎉
🎄