Recipes Using Dandelions

Category Vegetables
Originally brought to America as a salad green, dandelions have flourished. This page contains recipes using dandelions.

I love dandelions! They are so good for you and your liver. The leaves can be used in a salad or dried to make a tea. I love their smells and colors, they are beautiful. Feel free to print this picture and frame it for your kitchen.

Hugs!

By Kristen from Apopka, FL

Instead of getting rid of dandelions, use them. You can use the greens in salads. Dandelions can be used to make jelly and wine. Instead of contaminating the soil with pesticides, it would be much better to use what nature provides.

By Taerie from OH

This page contains a dandelion tea recipe. Dandelion tea has long been used as an herbal remedy. The tea can be made from flowers and roots. It has been found helpful for an upset stomach. There can be side effects so do your research.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains a dandelion greens and pomegranate vinaigrette recipe. One way to get rid of those pesky dandelions in your lawn is to eat them. The greens are chock full of vitamins and minerals.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

• 4 cups dandelion
  • 3 eggs, hard boiled
  • 3 slices bacon
Dressing:
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cup milk or water

Directions:

Wash and chop dandelion. Cut bacon in pieces and fry crisp. Mix dry ingredients together. Add liquids and pour into skillet. Cook until thickened. Cool slightly. Pour over dandelion. Add chopped eggs. Mix lightly.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Yummy vegetable salad.

Directions:

Gather dandelions in very early spring before buds develop. Wash carefully; drain. Tear into bowl. Add arugula. Combine flour, salt, sugar, vinegar and water or milk and drippings in skillet. Cook until sauce is smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over greens. Stir lightly to coat. Garnish with eggs and bacon bits.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Dandelion Blossoms can be batter-dipped and deep-fried. They taste a lot like mushrooms when prepared in this fashion and are a delightful treat.

Spring has finally sprung in NE Ohio, overnight my yard is filled with dandelions. I remember many years ago the elder relatives making dandelion wine. Any good recipes out there to try? From what I remember was a fairly simple process. I do not use pesticides or chemicals and try to be very environmentally correct since we live on a lake.

Thanks for suggestions!

Answers

Hi Peggy,

A fellow by the name of Jack Keller has a lot, excuse me, A LOT, of Dandelion Wine Recipes on his web site, something like 28-30 in all!!! He also has a lot of additional dandelion wine, and winemaking in general, information on the site. The address for his site is:

http://winemaki … er.net/dandelion

Here's to your luck in making this particular "liquid gold!!!"

Scott from Rogers, (NE) Ohio

Here's the one I use, from THE CANADIAN HOMESTEAD COOKBOOK by Jeanne Scargall

MAKES: 7 or 8 bottles

1 gallon dandelion flowers
1 gallon boiling water
3 oranges, chopped finely
3 lemons, chopped finely
3 lbs sugar
1 oz. yeast

*Pick flowers in the morning when fully open
*wash and discard bitter stems
*place in large pot or crock and cover with boiling water
*cover pot with cheesecloth and let stand 3 days, stirring twice a day
*remove flowers, squeezing the liquid from them into the pot.
*pour liquid into a large saucepan and add remaing 3 ingredients, one at a time in order given, ie. oranges, lemons and sugar.
*stir mixture
*boil 30 minutes, cool.
*spread yeast on toast and float on liquid(yeast side down, I assume)
*let ferment for 6 days.
*when bottling, strain liquid through cheesecloth.
*cork loosely until fermenation ceases.
I found that I enjoyed rhubarb wine more using a recipe from same book.

Dandelion wine is wonderful, but if you have allergies, especially to pollen, watch out! I made it once, and my eyes swelled shut for two days!

http://www.back … s2/otoole82.html
just saw this & wanted to post it even if there is more than just recipes for wine - i saw one for dandilion soup !

6 cups dandelion petals
2 lbs. white granulated sugar
1 lb. light raisins
3 level tsps. acid blend
1 Campden tablet
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1 gal. hot water
1/4 tsp. grape tannin
Wine yeast

Starting specific gravity should be 1.090 - 1.095, acid .60%

Use only dandelion petals. Cut up raisins and put all ingredients except wine yeast in primary fermentor. Pour gallon of HOT water over ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover with plastic sheet. Add yeast when must is cool (70-75' F)
Ferment for 3 days, strain, siphon into gallon jugs or carboy and attach fermentation lock. Rack in 3 weeks. Make sure all containers are topped up. Rack again in 3 months. When wine is clear and stable, bottle. To prevent oxidation add 1 antioxidant tablet per gallon, or 1 level teaspoon ascorbic acid per 6 gallons.

Age 6 months.

HI Peggy! I'm over in Niles and wanted to thank you for your post! When my grandmother was alive she lived in Champion and her neighbor made a fabulous dandelion wine that I always wanted to try to do.

Peggy,

I've used some great recipes at http://www.makewinefromhome.net/ which have turned out great!

Has anyone ever used dandelion greens in salad or other recipes?

By Raelene from Clarksville, TN

Answers

Dandelions should be used before they blossom, as they become bitter after that time. Cut off the roots. Pick the greens over carefully and wash them well in several waters. Place them in a kettle. They can have a bitter taste so folks use vinegar to kill the bitter taste.

Dandelion greens are very nutritious, and so good, you can buy seeds to grow special varieties. They are very good. Pick them before they blossom, and wash very well in several changes of water. Break them up, and put them in salads, or cook them like you would spinach. They are good mixed with other greens, or cooked in other dishes that call for greens. They are a little bitter, but I like that.

We grew up on a farm and my grandmother used to use them all the time... raw, steamed, boiled, etc. I was a child the first time I tasted them (raw) and I was not too fond of them (they were bitter). Years later (as an adult), I tried them (also, raw) and they weren't too bad. Reminded me a little of arugula. As mentioned, dandelion greens are quite nutritious and versatile. You can use them the same way you do fresh spinach or any other, wild green.

I also forgot to mention, many people also use the flower, itself, for food. The most popular way I've heard to prepare the flowers are to wash, dry thoroughly and dip in deep-fry batter (you can make your own), then fry. Never tried them, but I hear they're pretty good.

During the depression my mother and I (I was about 7) would go out to the country area and pick dandelions. My father would stop the car on the main road. At home they would be thoroughly washed and she would make them with hot bacon dressing. Naturally this is before fertilizers etc. This brings back memories of 75 years ago. I believe she also ate them when she was a child in Croatia.

Ingredients

• 2 lbs. dandelion greens
  • boiling salted water
  • salt (to taste)
  • pepper (to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp. butter

Directions

Dandelions should be used before they blossom, as they become bitter after that time. Cut off the roots. Pick the greens over carefully and wash them well in several waters. Place them in a kettle. Add a little boiling water and boil until tender. Salt the water just before cooking is completed. When done, lift them into a colander. Press them to drain off the water and chop, Add butter, salt, and pepper; toss. Make sure they are good and tender before eating!

By Robin

Answers:

Dandelion Greens

After you have drained the dandelions, saute them with olive oil and garlic. Then add to bean soup.
Wow, is that ever good. We Italians call the dish "manest" beans serve with Italian bread. Delicious. (06/25/2005)

By Tina