Freezing Cucumbers

If you have extra cucumbers this season, you don't need to let them go to waste. You can freeze them and use them later. This is a guide about freezing cucumbers.

Cucumbers on ice.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 19, 2006 Flag
A bunch of ripe green cucumbers.

Selecting High-Quality Cucumbers:

Cucumbers do not freeze well by traditional methods, but if sliced, preserved in vinegar or brine and frozen, they will retain their texture and make delicious additions to salads year round. Select cucumbers that are firm and have a rich, deep green color. For freezing, they are best harvested when they are 4 to 6 inches in length and 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Organic cucumbers may not look as bright and shiny, but they are healthier because they are not coated with wax.

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash, remove wax and peel. Remove the wax from non-organic cucumbers with detergent and a brush. Slice cucumbers thinly with a food processor or knife.

Brine Recipe:

In a large bowl, mix 2 quarts of cucumbers with chopped onions and 2 tablespoons of salt. Let stand for 2 hours. Rinse well with cold water, drain and return to clean bowl. Add 2/3 cup of oil, 2/3 cup vinegar, 2/3 cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of celery seed. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Freezing:

Pack cucumbers in brine in rigid plastic containers or glass jars, leaving 1 inch of head space. Freeze. Wait at least 1 week before defrosting and eating.

Maximum Storage Time:

Cucumbers preserved in brine will last several months in the freezer.

Thawing:

Defrost cucumbers in brine in the refrigerator.

Tips & Shortcuts:

If you have a zone in your refrigerator where the temp hovers around balmy 40ºF (like the inside door) fresh cucumbers will keep best when stored there.

Refrigerating Cucumbers:

Store fresh cucumbers in perforated plastic, dry paper towels or a paper bag, or store them unwrapped in the vegetable crisper for 4 to 5 days. Cucumbers preserved in brine will keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze cucumbers?

By Russell S

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I just thought I'd share that I made some tabouli and the recipe made a huge amount. I couldn't eat all of it so I thought I wonder how it would be if I froze it. I put it in individual serving containers and tried it, thinking it would probably turn to mush. But I was very surprised! It froze beautifully. It was not mushy at all, in fact when defrosted the cucumbers were still nice and crunchy. :)

Freezing cucumbers will result in a mushy, very watery product. The best way to preserve cucumbers is to make pickles.

I make freezer pickles! There are lots of good recipes on the internet, just pick the one that suits you. Most state that the pickles are good for 3 months, but I've opened packages from last summer, and they were still crisp and good.

July 31, 2011 Flag

Can I freeze cucumbers?

By Starr B.

Best Answer

Google a recipe for frozen pickles. I have made them and they are very good, like a sweet pickle.

They will be really mushy after they thaw because of their water content.

July 13, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze fresh cucumbers?

By Melissa from Madison, IN

Best Answer

They turn soft and mushy when frozen. I think it is due to the high water content. But if you brine them like in a recipe for freezer pickles you can.

What is it to brine cucumbers? How do you brine them?

June 17, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze sliced cucumbers to pickle at a later date?

By Blove from Randolph, AL

Best Answer

Anything with moisture content is going to change structure when the cells freeze. When fall comes and we get the first freeze, that is enough to begin the mush process. That is why to put zucchini in the freezer for future use in baking, you must shred it and then expect more moisture to 'press out' to use in a recipe. All frozen veggies will react according to their water content. That is why it is best to bake with the product then freeze it instead of the ingredients.

Sorry but no because they become limp/mushy due to their natural water content whether sliced or whole.

June 28, 2012 Flag

Can you freeze cucumbers from the garden?

By Sherry H

Best Answer

Sorry, but my experience is that they are super mushy when thawed.

July 6, 2014 Flag

Can I freeze cucumbers for a short period of time minus the brain?

By Cynthia from TX

I would not recommend freezing cucumbers for any length of time because of their high water content. They will become mushy.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 30, 2011
Cucumbers
Selecting Good Cucumbers
Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
Freezing Artichokes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:20:35 PM on 10.0.0.85 in 681 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.