Can I Tint My Eyeglasses at Home?

I have a pair of eyeglasses I would like to tint. Sears wants $200+. Is there something that I can use to tint them? Thank you for any help you can give.

By Sheryl from Mercer, PA

I'm assuming that they are prescription glasses and you want to keep the frame. Take the glasses to a local discount Optometrist and tell them you want tinted lens inserted in your frame. From the adverts I've seen there are plenty of Optometrists about that offer huge discounts.

I am with MCW ;-)

If the lens are plastic, you can tint them with clothing dye (Rit). Just follow the directions on the box or bottle. I did this with a pair of prescription safety glasses that I needed for work. The flourescent lights hurt my eyes, so I dyed my lens light brown!

I tinted my windows at home on the inside with a cling film I got at lowes for less than 20.00$

The Rit dye works wonderful. Here is the receipt: 2 quarts water brought to a simmer, 1 oz. Dye, 5 drops of vinegar and stir. Keep the heat very low, between low and 1. Put glasses in and keep checking them every 10 minutes. I dyed one pair of glasses for an hour and they are dark. Another pair of glasses for 15 minutes and i can wear them in the house too. Remember it will only dye the plastic ones. And oh, by the way it will dye the frames too. I used dark brown and everything is the same color. They look wonderful no streaks or anything.

Will this work on polycarbonate lenses?

We don't buy a pair of sunglasses because we wear prescription eyeglasses. Personally, I want to tint my own, because, the shop I purchases at wants $50 to tint them, and discount shops that tint for $20 won't tint lenses that you don't buy from them.

For those of you looking for a cheap way to make your prescription glasses into sunglasses. All you need is iced tea mix. Soak them in the iced tea mix for an hour or so. This will dye them.

I had the idea of going to the local auto window tinting place and getting scraps. Then just applied to Dollar Store Readers that I can use for distance. I left my prescription bifocals alone. Or you can go buy the film. But the tinting places have trimmings big enough to tint readers. Since they were a buck, I got a bunch, so if my frames break I can pop lenses in new ones or I can tint a new pair. I will definitely try out the dye and iced tea on some older ones I have around the house.

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesMay 3, 2010
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Prescription Sunglasses
Removing the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case, Empty Eyeglass Case
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses