How to Tint Eyeglasses at Home

Category Eye Glasses
Tinted eye glasses on white.
You may not want to risk damaging expensive prescription eyeglasses by attempting to tint them yourself. However, Rit dye has been used successfully by some to tint eyeglasses into sunglasses. This is a guide about how to tint eyeglasses at home.

I have a pair of eyeglasses I would like to tint. Sears wants $200+. Is there something that I can use to tint them? Thank you for any help you can give.

By Sheryl from Mercer, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

I'm assuming that they are prescription glasses and you want to keep the frame. Take the glasses to a local discount Optometrist and tell them you want tinted lens inserted in your frame. From the adverts I've seen there are plenty of Optometrists about that offer huge discounts.

Best Answer

If the lens are plastic, you can tint them with clothing dye (Rit). Just follow the directions on the box or bottle. I did this with a pair of prescription safety glasses that I needed for work. The flourescent lights hurt my eyes, so I dyed my lens light brown!

Best Answer

The Rit dye works wonderful. Here is the recipe: 2 quarts water brought to a simmer, 1 oz. Dye, 5 drops of vinegar and stir. Keep the heat very low, between low and 1. Put glasses in and keep checking them every 10 minutes. I dyed one pair of glasses for an hour and they are dark. Another pair of glasses for 15 minutes and i can wear them in the house too. Remember it will only dye the plastic ones. And oh, by the way it will dye the frames too. I used dark brown and everything is the same color. They look wonderful no streaks or anything.

Best Answer

For those of you looking for a cheap way to make your prescription glasses into sunglasses. All you need is iced tea mix. Soak them in the iced tea mix for an hour or so. This will dye them.