Removing Sunscreen from Whites

How can I get the orange stains from sunscreen out of white clothes? I cannot find Biz bleach, which was recommended for an enzyme pre-soak. I also tired The Works but the stains reappeared as soon as I washed the clothing.

By Gail from NY

Bar Keepers Friend: Thanks for the tip! I had given up on my new white blouse badly stained from SPF cream, but I followed the instructions provided on this site and I can wear the blouse again! Many thanks to all who alerted me to this product which I had in my kitchen. It also removes stains from bathroom sinks, rust stains in the toilet basin and of course, shines the stainless steel sink to look like new. You all saved me a great deal of money!

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have recently returned from my holiday with white cotton clothing that is no longer white. The yellow color my whites have turned is thought to be sunscreen, but I'm not 100% positive. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me?

By Tina from Dronfield, Derbyshire, England

Removing Sunscreen from Whites

There is a product here in Canada called Yellow Out. I don't know if they sell it in the UK. Other than that, what about Vanish either the bar soap or the powder? I know it just about removes any stain. And there is the oldest soap I know,
Fairy Soap in the bar form. I would not try anything with bleach in it. It may yellow the stained areas even worse. I hope this has helped. (09/30/2009)

By hedera

September 28, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any tips for removing suncream from white cotton t-shirts? I keep ending up with yellow stains, and find waterproof suncream is worse. I live in UK so I may not have access to any of the products from USA. Vinegar hasn't worked.

Removing Suncream from Whites

I have used powdered dishwasher detergent to remove stains from white cotton t-shirts. Make a solution of 1/2 cup detergent in 1 gallon of warm (not hot) water. Soak at least overnight. I have left the shirt soaking for several days with no harm done. Then wash in cold/warm water as usual. Do not use hot water. If the stains are still there, repeat. I have used this for baby formula and deodorant stains. I don't know if it will work on suncream, but it may. (02/08/2006)

By Jean Leiner

Removing Sunscreen Stains from Clothing
Removing Sunscreen Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 16, 2010
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Colorful clothing hanging out of a washing machine.
Removing Stains from Colored Clothing
Using Bluing
Separating Egg Yolk From Whites
Separating Egg Whites